Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Flash' scam popup coming from some ads?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Peregrine wrote: »
    I have a solution but you're not going to like it.

Turn beta on.

The tinfoil hats will be out in force

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

the beta is the worst thing on the net

hard restart on ios seems to have stopped it on safari
    on both 5 and 5s

nope i was wrong its baaaack

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Tigger wrote: »
    I have a solution but you're not going to like it.

Turn beta on.

frist thging i tried
    didn't help
    Strange. It works fine for me on beta but starts redirecting the second I switch back.

Strange. It works fine for me on beta but starts redirecting the second I switch back.

on ios or chrome?

beta is the only thing that stops it on ios now
    kdid i mention i hate beta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Cache cleared. :cool:

Crap's gone. For a while at least. :D

Firefox on Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Don't want to jinx it, but everything is fine for me now. Didn't clear cache or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yup, back to normal now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

As you have figured out, something went screwy with the company serving these ads. Needless to say, I have asked that we get an explanation about WTF this was all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

In fairness, for some users - like the one who accidentally hit 'ok' on the malware earlier, and now has a botnet client on their computer - that's a bit late now...

I know Boards has little control over ads, but it's pretty unacceptable that this can happen to anyone in the first place, and it's been warned about before.

Third parties controlling content - especially anything javascript - that ends up on the site, will lead to this happening again; it's an inevitability.

Boards really should look into much more restricted ad content - ones that do not use any kind of third-party javascript; when you play whack-a-mole with abusive (or in this case malware) ads, then you don't find out about the problem and remove/disable them, until users of the site have already had to deal with it (in this case: with some already having a virus/botnet planted on their computer).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that boards.ie and many other websites use a service which only allows what ad block plus views as "non intrusive" ads. They got hacked so that this pop up was being sent through as a non intrusive ad and being shown on pages despite having ad block plus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Only if you have the 'allow non-intrusive ads' option checked, yes - and this is the perfect example of why you should not have that option checked ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

So Pagefair was hacked. PageFair are a service that works with the companies behind ad blocking plug-ins to create a list of "safe" and approved advertisers who's ads are allowed through when that option is ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

BobCobb wrote: »
    I just clicked on the OK, thinking it was a message from my os, and it seems to have fvcked up my computer, screen went green, then fuzzy. Hope it will be OK...

All seems ok with the computer now...
    I brought it to a repair shop just in case, but I think they just re-installed firefox. :)

Advertisement