Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

marathon blues

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭gosh123

Saturday
    Tymon pkrun
    I was unsure about how to run this al week so i decided id go flat out near enough then ease of the last 2km.
    As the pkrun started i felt good and fresh my 1st km clocked 3 15 and its not the easiest 1st km ud run of a pkrun your kind of running into a drag til about 1.2km then u have a bit of downhill.
    As i progressed to km 2 / 3 i was still in good shape there was a lad on my shoulder and this is were i start thinking go with him or hold of like id planned at 3km.
    The last mile in tymon is a tough drag so i was thinkin i better not go flat out here wit dcm next week.
    So i eased up a bit watched the lad on my shoulder open up a gap and i carried onto 2nd place.
    Did i regett my decision to ease of at 3km like hell i did al day it was on my mind wat u do that for prob a bit of taper madness to.
    Id followed a plan id set out and i was still looking for faults
    Tapering is driving me a bit mad

1st km 3 15
    2nd km 3 22
    3rd km 3 26
    4th km 3 35
    5thkm 3 38
    17 15

Sunday
    10miles
    I actually remember this run well i didn leave the house til 9 30 must of been the latest run on a sunday this programme kept it easy
    10miles 7 30 a mile

Monday
    5miles on my lunch
    7 30 a mile

Tuesday
    5miles on my lunch
    7 22 a mile

Wednesday
    5miles
    Headed down towards the kestrel took in some of the route even jumped onto the road get a feel for it when i seen a break in traffic,
    I did notice after the kcr the stretch up towards terenure the road is pretty bumpy n best staying close to the path seems to be a better surface,
    Oh and ye i did stress n worry wil i be ok on this section sunday
    5 miles 7 30 a mile

Thursday
    4miles on the grass in bushy pk mostly was a nice run kept it easy
    4miles 8 min miles

Friday
    Rest day

Saturday
    Due to run 3miles soon,
    Iv been feeling ok al week no colds flus strains so i guess im in pretty good shape.
    I wont lie tapering wasnt easy my laptop wouldn work the other day and it was 2seconds from goin in the bin :-)
    My plan for dcm is try keep the pace even enough il run wit a clubmate hopefully work wit him keep my pace in check first few miles..
    The aim is low 2 50s the dream run is 2 48 .
    Il head out aim for 2 50 pace and hopefully i push on or hold on :-)
    Thanks for the well wishes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck tomorrow.
    You're in savage shape.
    Hope all goes to plan for you.

I ran 2 57 23 i was flying til 19/20miles then battled cramp til the finish frustrating sure its still a 2min pb have to be happy.
    Its been a good year bar longford hm two sub 3marathons cant complain,
    Il do a report when i get the time

Well done.
    Good year alright and only going to get better in 2017 I'd say.
    Fair play.

Dublin city marathon
    Its been just over a year since my first post on this thread were i posted in desperate disapointment about my failure to run a sub 3hr marathon.
    Alots happened in those 12months id say longford is the only race that sticks out as a bad run to me.
    Iv worked my 10km pb down from 37 21 to 35 26 and my 5km pb from 17 30 to 16 36 and been consistent with keeping my times that low over them distances.
    I also ran a sub 3hr marathon in manchester 2 59 20 so goin into dcm today the pressure was of i knew i was strong enough to run sub 3hrs easy but was i strong enough to run 2 50 or under the anwser was no but i tried i took a risk and i dont regret it at al.

Morning of the race
    Woke up about 5 30am for breakfast i must admit id a great nights sleep over 8hrs the week prob couldn of went better for me sleepwise.
    Id ordered a taxi for 7 am and headed into the conrad hotel to meet clubmates.
    After arriving before 7 30 am and after alot of pacing around it i headed to the start line.
    The nerves set in a bit i didn see my clubmate id planned to run a bit of it with panic sets in youll start to fast now ul blow up the usual pre race jitters but as the race drew closer i spotted him on the startline.

As the race starts everything falls into place and me and 4clubmates fall into place panic over il just slot in behind the lads and watch my pace.
    As we pass through patrick street and the quays the support was amazing i actually took a second to take it al in previous years id be stressing over my watch am i on pace weres the pacer gone ect id none of that today was stress free first few miles anyway.
    As we head up towards the north circular rd the group of 4 i was running in was down to two we al had different targets and entering phoenix park i felt ok my clubmate shouting out reasurring words were doin ok for pace here were chipping away at 2 50 pace.
    Wed started a bit slower but not by much.
    As we pass mile 5 i hear the music from the fanzone i get a quick shout out from the dj realise im motoring ha ha had to check my pace a bit.
    By mile 6 i wouldn say i was comfortable more inpatient i dont no it was taking getting used to not running freely i felt a strain in my legs but it was more so from holding back voice in my head sayin push on push on i declined.
    Mile 1 6 41
    Mile 2 6 26
    Mile 3 6 37
    Mile 4 6 20
    Mile 5 6 23
    Mile 6 6 20

As we push on to mile 7/8 there was a fair bit of downhill ahead of us and as we pushed on catherine jennings was ahead of us quick word in my ear from my clubmate sit here dont pass her she runs around 2 47.
    As we re enter the park i notice jennings is motoring i looked at my splits in kms 3 52 3 49s me and my clubmate decide let her go shel slow wel catch her up so we thought anyway how wrong were we.
    As we leave the park for the final time and approaching miles 9/10 i remember davey sayin hed be along the course i worried id missed him but as i passed mile 10ish i spot him and his daughter wit signs may the course be with you quick shout out to him im doin fine and i was back focusing on getting to the halfway mark in good shape.
    Id blown up twice in crumlin walkinstown terenure was adament not to again.
    Coming up to sarsfield rd inchicore rd i i was on pace and feeling good i was about 20m ahead of my clubmate it was at this point id said to myself trust ur training u dont need to be pacing of someone.
    As we hit the start of the crumlin rd the support was unreal almost like running through a tunnel except the tunnel was roaring people an expeience id never forget.
    I glance at my watch and realise its way of it beeps 13miles about 50seconds before i get to halfway on the course
    Acording to my watch 1st 13.1 1 24ish
    Oficially 1 25 21
    Mile 7 6 26
    Mile 8 6 05
    Mile 9 6 23
    Mile 10 6 19
    Mile 11 6 30
    Mile 12 6 29
    Mile 13 6 20

I was in the zone now first 13 miles done im on the home run id broke up the next 2/3 miles into sections in my head first long drag from crumlin to the kestrel then a break til we get to the kcr 2nd long drag til i get to terenure rd and this helped to be honest.
    I ran thus part of the course a little to well which is prob the reason i got cramp. As i passed kcr area louds of shout outs from clubmates help keep my pace feel easy.
    I knew my workmates would be at the kcr so me been me decide to start showing of over taking people playing the hero would it come back to haunt me the answer probaly yes.
    When i hit the terenure rd there was a bit of relief id hit the 28km marker time for a gel id takin two already at 10km n 20km and id planned another gel for 35km only for me to drop it taking my 3rd dam it :-///.
    Heading towards orwell miltown i started to feel drained i start focusing on the distance id left and not my time until at about 20mile mark the snipers were out short sharp pain in mtly calf made me jump i kind of limped a bit and contemplated is this race over.
    Some man on the side of the rd shouts keep goin mate i remember him cause he was at mile 25 to.
    Mile 14 6 38
    Mile 15 6 28
    Mile 16 6 27
    Mile 17 6 25
    Mile 18 6 38
    Mile 19 6 38
    Mile 20 6 34

The last 6miles were just about survival get to the finish i knew id banked enough time to still get a pb.
    Evwrytime i got goin thought i could increase the pace id get a sharp pain of cramp in my hamstring reminding me i couldn.
    As i hit roebuck i felt like stopping but my club were marshalling there i couldn stop there even if i wanted to.
    I knew once i got to the top id a bit of downhill last 4miles it did help me and the constant shouts of encouragment from my club.
    The last 4miles was torture until i hit mile 25 the gentleman that seen me pull up wit cramp shouts i cant belieave it u got goin again fair play although i did feel like i was goin anywere fast :-)
    As i hit the finish line i see the clock tick 2 57 as i cross not sure how i felt a pb but not the run id hoped for was a strange feeling not known weather to smile or sulk i was content not over the moon.
    Mile 20 6 36
    Mile 21 7 00
    Mile 22 7 23
    Mile 23 7 12
    Mile 24 6 58
    Mile 25 7 39
    Mile 26 7 36

Dcm 2 hrs 57 23

Its been a good 12months suppose iv to be happy with it although im always looking to nake that big jump in class in didnt work out today but id the strenght to push on for a pb which us a bonus.
    Its not to bad for my 4th marathon my previous 3 have been
    Dcm 2014 4hrs 26
    Dcm 2015 3hrs 20
    Manchester 2hrs 59
    Dcm 2016 2hrs 57

Not sure on my plans just yet but im eyeing up an april marathon id say do 2again next year il decide were or if i do in the next week
    Thanks for the support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I wouldn't be rushing back into marathon training if I were you. Your shorter distance times are much better than your marathons, I think you could be better off hammering away at them for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

good going yesterday, well done digging in for a well earned PB. Recover well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done on grinding out a PB, very well deserved. Enjoy the recovery and don't rush into a decision about another marathon. Ray is right about the shorter stuff.

Not sure about not running marathons the main reason i run is because i love the training the feeling of working towards a marathon can only improve the more i do il think it over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

gosh123 wrote: »
    Not sure about not running marathons the main reason i run is because i love the training the feeling of working towards a marathon can only improve the more i do il think it over

Congrats on the PB Gosh, you were looking smooth when we spotted you

Gotta do what you love Gosh - it could also be argued that your marathon PB is softer than the others and deserves more attention\focus!

You've had a fantastic year and progressed beyond all recognition across all distances.

Take the time to have a chat with your coach and take it from there, if you do go with another marathon in the spring then I've no doubt you'll take on board the lessons learned over the last two and take it to the next level, you've bags of potential and a great work ethic to match it.

Congrats and well done again

• Advertisement

Duanington wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB Gosh, you were looking smooth when we spotted you

Gotta do what you love Gosh - it could also be argued that your marathon PB is softer than the others and deserves more attention\focus!

You've had a fantastic year and progressed beyond all recognition across all distances.

Take the time to have a chat with your coach and take it from there, if you do go with another marathon in the spring then I've no doubt you'll take on board the lessons learned over the last two and take it to the next level, you've bags of potential and a great work ethic to match it.

Congrats and well done again

Thanks ye my argument would be iv ran 50/60 5/10kms in the last 2years sincevi start running its only my 4th marathon surely the more i do il improve as in 5/10kms
    Il have a chatvwit the coach see what he thinks dcm isnt as easy as these flat courses on the continent either

gosh123 wrote: »
    Thanks ye my argument would be iv ran 50/60 5/10kms in the last 2years sincevi start running its only my 4th marathon surely the more i do il improve as in 5/10kms
    Il have a chatvwit the coach see what he thinks dcm isnt as easy as these flat courses on the continent either

Im not the type of person that says iv tried it 4times im no good at it i wont do it again either i guess cant leave it at that

Race win this morning?

tang1 wrote: »
    Race win this morning?

Ye pb to 35 17 i felt good rested al week apart from two 3mile runs i didn set out for a pb just decided to run by how i feel and it went well

Wednesday
    3miles on the grass in bushy pk feeling pretty low i must admit the marathon blues always seem to hit me hard as i mope around thinking what could of been sunday were it went wrong whats next alot of overthinking and negative thoughts regards running.
    I was fine on the run but kept it easy felt a bit better that id done something.
    3miles no watch slow pace anyway.

Thursday
    Id a look on strava and seen runners who ran in dcm doin speed sessions or just back running ect and thought thats it im back running if they can do it so can i .
    As the day progressed i realised there was no real point in rushing into anything best to recover.
    But sure id brought my gear to work anyway so done 3 easy miles again on the grass felt fine.

Sunday
    Irish brain tumour 10km
    Id known of this race was on al week and id decided to run it by according how my legs felt. Id also heard a quote from a well known elite runner sayin race 1week after a marathon its when ur at your fittest so of i went not known what expect from the run.

I cycled the course before the run it was a two lap course wit parts of it on the grass about 800m or so.
    I know corcagh pk very well but i didn feel confident the course looked tough enough felt it cycling anyway.

As the race starts i let 4/5 lads go ahead as i push ahead of them i take a wrong turn i heard the lads roar not that way not that way in fairness soon enough and was soon back on track.
    By the 1st km id opened up a gap and my legs felt fine my breathing was relaxed so i carried on
    Km 2/3 was a long drag uptowards the bike track but funny enough the wind was on my back i didn feel the drag at al.
    The lap around the bike course i done cautiously i was out on my own and was terrified about takin another wrong turn so i coasted around listen and watching out that i was on the right course.

As i leave the bike course we leave the path to run on the grass for 800m i felt confident here i do tempo on the grass so it didn slow me at al.

Km 4/5 was a bit up and down cut across a few grass patches but by 5km i was in good shape.
    I wasnt looking at my watch at al cause i didn feel id pb so i was just running for the win but as i passed halfway i seen d clock of d start line 17 15s i was goin well.

Up until 6km i was flying butt then i headed into traffic of lapping people frustrating but its a charity run i cant complain for a good cause.

I lost time advoiding buggys babys bumped of the odd passer by but i wasnt letting it bother me today wasnt about a time.

By 8km it cleared up a bit and i could open up the legs as i entered the grass for 800m and last 2km

I pushed al the way to the finish and felt good almost felt like goin round again just one of them days

1st km 3 31
    2nd km 3 35
    3rd km 3 27
    4th km3 30
    5 th km 3 25
    6th km3 41
    7thkm 3 51 buggy hazards :-)
    8th km 3 41
    9th 3 32
    10th km 3 05

35 17

Getting sick of saying it....but well done on YET ANOTHER PB Gosh. You seem to recover very quickly from races and sessions and managed that week very well it seems ( the proof is in the result today!)

You've a great winter ahead of you, keep the good work up ( and the recovery :pac:)

Duanington wrote: »
    Getting sick of saying it....but well done on YET ANOTHER PB Gosh. You seem to recover very quickly from races and sessions and managed that week very well it seems ( the proof is in the result today!)

You've a great winter ahead of you, keep the good work up ( and the recovery :pac:)

Thanks ye im keeping it easy al week few runs on the grass pick it up next week jingle bell 5km prob be next target unless a 10km crops up before the end of the month i can get to :-)

Monday
    Decided to run 5easy miles on my lunch around bushy legs were a bit soar must admit so decided to take it easy wit a few rest days this week .
    5miles 8min miles

Wednesday
    4miles easy

Thursday
    Felt alot better today so headed out for 6miles on my lunch break picked a new route headed towards nutgrove ballinter turned around at the 3mile mark and headed back.
    6miles 7 30 a mile

Saturday
    Griffeen pkrun
    Decided to get out and do a pkrun just run it by how i felt on the morning.
    As the pkrun starts i was in the lead and by 2km id opened up a gap of over 4/500m on second and decided to drop the pace slightly as i continued on i just kept the pace around 10km pace for the final 3km.
    Km 1 3 13
    Km 2 3 20
    Km 3 3 30
    Km 4 3 34
    Km 5 3 29
    17 17

Sunday
    8 miles
    I had a few hours to kill sunday morning instead of running 9/10/11/12/13 miles al the numbers in my head i thought about doin i ran just 8 around tallaght.
    Im tryn not to rush into any high milage build into it as i feel im not to far of running a few pbs in the next 6weeks.
    8 miles 7 15 a mile

Monday
    Disaster first thing in the morning my bike had a flat wheel.
    So i decided to run in and out of work i felt good on both runs felt good to be back doin some kind of milage as the week started.

Am 5miles
    Pm 6miles about 7 30 a mile

Tuesday
    My clubmate was onto me about representing the club in the nationals nov 26 so i thought i better do some kind of speed session this week.
    I opted for 4/1km reps on the grass in bushy.the ground was soft so i felt it a bit in the legs as i plodded through some muddy parts of bushy.
    I was zig zagging around the pk a bit on the first rep tryn to make up 1km but once i done the first one it was fine
    1st km 3 28
    2nd km 3 26
    3rd km 3 25
    4th km 3 26
    About 1min 30 intervals

Wednesday
    7miles around rathfarmham churchtown again found a new route to run freshens things up i must admit makes the run more enjoyable.
    7 miles 7 11 a mile

Thursday
    Am 5miles
    Run to work battled wind snow sleet and rain nor an enjoyable run.
    My kness were almost numb by the time i finished.
    5miles 7 30 a mile

Pm 6miles
    Run home again was into a strong sharp cold breeze kept the pace handy enough.
    6miles 7 30 a mile

Friday rest day
    Id gotten a text a lift to clane 10km i was ready to go for it but my coach ruled it out i listened for once stil regret not going though plenty more 10kms to look forward to.

Saturday
    Shanaganah pk run
    A clubmate was heading out to this pkrun.
    I knew the night before i was running it tried to do some homework on the course cause i heard its flat.
    It got me thinking wil i giv it a right go and see can i pb.

Sadly this wasnt the case from about 300m in i was in the lead the herald was there takin photos at the first bend so a few people made a dash to get there pic in d paper i guess.
    I thought grand some oeople to work of but the challengers soon slowed as i passed them out.
    The first km threw me a bit the course was 1 1km lap 2 2km lap by the time i was on the 2km i was like right were am i going.
    I was on d shoulder of the lead bike waiting for him to turn left right or keep goin.
    My pace dropped and i didn try pick it up til i hit the 2nd lap i knew the last km layout til the finish just decided il push on when i hit 4km.
    Frustrating day cause it is a fast course il know next time how to run it and wil go back in 5/6 weeks time.

1st km 3 20
    2nd km 3 30
    3rd km 3 33
    4th km 3 38
    5th 3 21

17 27
    1st place

Sunday
    9miles
    Headed up around kiltipper for this run had a run in wit a dog had me jumped up on a wall for 2min dam farmers dogs .
    Few hills along the route was a nice run on a cold morning.
    I kept the milage down cause im entered into the nationals next sunday wit the club want to arrive there fresh and put in a good run.

Monday
    Iv been using my gf bike since mine was robbed and the saddle on it is just to low to continue cycling so iv decided just to run to work.
    Im waiting on my cheque from bike to work scheme then il have a bit more structure when it comes to planned runs and milage.

The run to work was pretty dangerous slippy paths from the frost so kept the pace down still nearly went on my ass once or twice
    5miles 7 36 a mile

Id to pick up a new pair of xc runners on my lunch wit no bike i ran down to run hub and back kept the pace easy.
    3miles 7 50 mile

Run home was uneventful but im enjoying the cold weather for some reason or most probaly the music on the earphones i listen to wen i run in and out to work cause iv to carry my phone.
    6miles 7 30 a mile

Tuesday
    Id got the bus in today decided id try break the nex xcs in on a speed session.
    6/800m reps
    I done the session in cherryfield and found the soft ground in parts tough at times.
    I ran 400m up against a drag then turned for an easier 400m run back down.
    I kept the pace at 3 20 a km a bit hot on the grass i know but although im running the nationals sunday jingle bell 5km the following week my target so wanted to fit in a good speed session.
    I took about 60second intervals didn really time it just went wen i felt ok.

Pm
    5mile run home 7 30 a mile

Wednesday
    Am 5miles run into work felt good nice and relaxed.
    Pm 7 mile run home i decided to push it to an extra two miles on my run home cause i plan to take 2rest days tomo and friday.
    Looking back over the summer at al my 34min 10km attempts i think i was missing one thing goin into the races rest.
    On race weeks from now on il rest weather 5/10km or more i put al the work in i have to give my legs a chance to perform and get the pbs i think i deserve.
    It wil be easier said than done but il try goin forward.
    7 miles 7 20 a mile

• Advertisement

Thursday
    Rest day

Friday
    Rest day

Saturday
    4miles easy few strides
    7 35 a mile

Sunday
    National 10km championships xc
    I was feeling good on the morning of the race.
    The main problem i had was deciding what to eat and what time cause of the race at 2 30.
    Decided on a 10am breakfast enough to fill me without been full.

As we arrive at the course i must admit i was confident i had a picture in my head of the xc course been similar to were i do tempo on the grass.
    I was thinking i should sneak in around 36min goin well 35 little did i know what lay ahead of me.

The course was 5 2km laps and as we started it was the usual frantic xc fast start but i felt i controlled it well enough. The first 400m was downward running on a pretty firm surface before we had to cross a sand bank.
    As i plodded through the sand i could see the course was entering another fast section one or two downhills.
    The first km beeps 3 17 and i was telling myself its fine to fast but wat can i do now just push on.
    As i look ahead i could see the a sharp left turn into a wooded area.
    The realisation that id run 35min soon faded.
    Id say for about 300m it was like running through a cow field on a rainy day.
    everybody running left and to the right trying to find solid ground.
    I was guilty of this myself didn matter what side i picked the ground was soft i say soft more like sticky ud have to drag ur feet out of the mud.
    As i get out of muddy section i was greeted wit a sharp hill but in fairness it was easier to handle more so than the muddy section of 300m or so.
    I noticed my second split was 3 32 a km and im thinking im still goin ok 4more laps to go.
    I could give use a rerun of the next 4laps but its pretty much the same my pace picked up for 1km then on the muddy section it killed me and my pace.
    Any time i picked up pace the time was takin back of me and by the 3rd lap im not afraid to admit i was suffering.
    Thoughts of stopping were soon drowned out of my head by the great support from my club.
    I didnt want to let them down although i felt i was by my sudden drop in pace by the 3rd lap the usuall running demons goin through my head.
    I battled on anyway to finish in 38 24
    Im usually pi**ed of after a bad run but today was different i dont think i can call that a bad run more an experience.
    I never ran in conditions like it il have to get up to the cow fields in borhnabreena and training for next year so im ready for the muddy section that i suffered so badly in.

Monday
    Still no bike and waiting on the bike to work scheme so i thought id chance running in if my legs were soar id just get the bus home.
    But funnily enough i was fresh as a daisy legs fine.
    Maybe the 2days rest had done my legs good to
    5miles 7 30 a mile

Pm
    I ran home decided on taking a longer route as i felt fine.
    9miles 7 30 a mile

Tuesday
    Im racing jingle bell 5km saturday a race i have earmarked a few weeks now.
    I was in two minds skip a speed session on do one.
    I decided to do 4/400s 2/200s and just run it by how i feel.
    On the first rep i was a bit groggy i must admit.
    But for the rest of the session i was flying.
    Im even thinking to do a 400rep before the race saturday to wake the legs a body up as i felt that good after the first one.
    It could be the fact i was back on concrete to iv down al my speed sessions on the grass last few weeks

400s were at 3 09 a km pace
    200s ran them thinking i was bolt not sure on the pace :-)
    Less than a minute interval

6km run home 4 30 a km

Wednesday
    I dropped down to myles splits for a sports massage in the morning iron out the tight calfs hips ect try freshin the legs up for saturday.
    In the evening i ran 8 miles home easy my gps was way of flashing up 3 40 kms for the first i was no were near that pace just kept it wat felt like an easy pace and my legs felt fine to.

8miles 7 30 a mile

Nice to meet you this morning & well done on the PB. You have had a great year.

tang1 wrote: »
    Nice to meet you this morning & well done on the PB. You have had a great year.

Thanks nice to meet u good runnin by you

Thursday
    9 miles 7 30 a mile
    Run home from work

Friday
    Decided to do 3 miles on the grass and skip the rest day paronoid my legs would stiffin up before jingle bell if i rested
    3miles 8 15 a mile

Saturday
    Id woken to the news i was awarded male athlete of the year for my club.
    I was a bit shocked been honest iv let dcm take the shine of whats been a great year running wise the last few weeks.
    The news gave me a lift as i got ready added a bit of pressure to with me thinking i better put in a run deserving of the award.

I arrived at about 10 30 they posted the numbers out which is so much handier you dont have to arrive an hour or more before the race to collect it.
    I met a friend done about a 4km warm up and stuck to my word one 400m rep it was faster than race pace i must admit and i was set.

As we take the start line a minutes silence was observed for two previous members of donore whod passed away.
    Although i dont think the news got to everyone on the startline could still hear people chatting towards the back of the start line.
    As the race director kept shouting this is a fast course defo pb course i felt like sayin just start the bloody race ha ha we know its why were here ha ha.
    As the race begins the first thing i notice is im on my own as in iv no one from the club to work of pace wise.
    If i was goin to run a pb id be doin it solo without there help.
    The first mile theres a drag in the road and been honesti paid to much respect to this thinking i better not go mental then i wont be able to get goin later in the race.
    As i hit chesterfield rd i was expecting wind the road to be tough to run.
    I was fine my pace picked up i stayed left hugged the path and moved in and out of runners i was goin well.
    First km beeps 3 17 automatically i think to slow i wanted 3 15 but f**k it keep moving.
    As we turn left of the rd about towards the faster end of the course i was still running within myself advoiding goin into extreme pain for now.
    2nd km watch beeps 3 20 this is were i say to myself your race starts here i can either drop pace or keep moving (athleteoftheyear) flashes in my mind got me thinking i have to be well under 17min.
    I was kind of out on my own for km 3 and it showed before i caught runners up.
    Was i daydreaming stayin in my comfort zone a bit of both id say as the watch beeps 3 25 it was like a sword through my heart i was like wtf push push push to the finish.
    I was bow picking of runners and moving well after my daydreaming.
    Kms 3-5 were fast but id stupidly thought the sbends little climb was part of the course it wasnt and the whole time im preparing for it i finally realised come 4km.
    As i push to the finish i moved to early not known were the turn to the finish was i just kept putting the foot down as much as i could.
    As i turn to the finish i see the clock tick 16 20s i tried to make it but the clock tick past til 16 32 still a pb happy enough.

Splits
    Km 1 3 17
    Km 2 3 20
    Km 3 3 25
    Km 4 3 20
    Km 5 3 09

16 36 6 second pb

Sunday
    10miles
    I left the house at 7 30 am still dark as i headed up around kiltipper made for some nice views as i could see the sun rise above the city lights.
    My legs were a bit cranky i must admit just ran by how they felt.
    10miles 7 30 a mile

Monday
    My job have my pulling my hair out with this bike to work scheme.
    Recieved an email my quotes been lost must resubmit another one so this ment i was lacing up the runners and running in today.
    I enjoy running into and home from work just not sure if its something i could do everyday would it be to many miles runnibg twice a day 5days a week ect i know one i bloody hate getting the bus were i live iv to get two buses to my job.
    If i run takes me 45 minutes max you can see why it frustrates me.
    Am 6miles 7 25 a mile
    Pm 7/8miles and a stop of to the bike shop for a quote :-)

Im goin to run aware 10km saturday and let that be my last race of the year. The appeall of goin over 10km when im in a bit of form is to much to turn down. One last try at sub 35 for 2016 :-)

Athlete of the year and a 5k PB - nice work Gosh, keep up the good work

Another great run.
    Well done.
    Good luck at the weekend.

35 35 5th place no sub 35 today was a tough enough course in fairness i was in 2nd til 7km and got passed by il remember that feeling drive me on next year, il stick a report up in the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

No shame in not getting sub 35 today. Even with the weather playing ball, it's still hard to get pacing right for the 10k races on that loop.

• Advertisement

No shame in not getting sub 35 today. Even with the weather playing ball, it's still hard to get pacing right for the 10k races on that loop.

Ye i know im not been hard on myself was some tough drags on the loop which took time of me it was prob a race to much to the last 3weekends been racing il be better prepared next year make sure i hold onto a top 3 spot hopefully,looking forward to training and no pressure of racing next 3weeks anyway thanks

Advertisement