Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

marathon blues

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Another impressive week under the belt G, enjoy the wind down now !

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭gosh123

Monday
    Tired today legs a bit heavy 6miles at 7 40 a mile

Tuesday
    Felt alot fresher and was looking forward to a club session I somehow got my wires crossed and thought I was down for 8/400s thinking nice short session only to find out I was down for 5/1 miles 10km pace 2 min intervals
    Splits
    Mile 1 5 53 min
    Mile 2 5 45 min
    Mile 3 5 54 min
    Mile 4 5 43 min
    Mile 5 5 49 min
    The session went fine ran 1 mile up firehouse Rd then 1 mile back down slightly easier heading back down why some splits are faster.

Wednesday
    12miles
    My final longish midweek run and it was playing on my mind a bit I have been felling tired this week and I just wanted it over and done wit and try and enjoy taper then. The run went ok my legs were heavy from the previous nights session there was a slight breeze and I noticed it tonight wev had it easy wit the weather lately
    12 miles 7 25 a mile

Thursday
    8miles
    Heading out for this run I was looking forward to tapering I must say and feeling fresh I have been a little jaded al week understandable as I'm at the end of my training cycle I keep telling myself trying to keep any doubts about wil I perform in Manchester out of my head want to be confident goin into the race.
    My longest run wil be 10 miles in the next 2weeks actually looking forward to it usually I'd dread takin it easy the main aim now is to arrive in Manchester fresh.
    8miles
    7 20 a mile I ran one mp mile at the end of the run

friday
    rest day

saturday
    5mile tempo
    i woke up heard the wind and seen the rain so i cancelled my plans to run to my 5mile tempo session decided to put the rain gear on and cycle to it instead. arrived early got a 2mile warm up in with the lads i felt fresh i must say iv gone to bed early last two nights dont think it was the running that had me tired just needed some extra sleep im up at 5 30am for work 5days a week suppose that will catch up with me now and again to.
    The session went fine again we run the same loop in tymon park run against a drag for most of the loop apart from one good downhill section. i felt a little to good first two miles but soon checked my pace realising how strong the wind was i actually eased of and finished the session wit alot more in the tank which is a good sign.

splits
    mile 1 5 52min
    mile2 5 58min
    mile3 6 02min
    mile4 6 16min
    mile5 6 08min
    30 21 for the 5miles

sunday
    13 miles
    had a chat with my coach he felt 10 miles was a bit to low to be running for my lsr today he contemplated 16miles but we agreed 13miles would be fine maybe its a good sign to he probaly thinks im coping well doin the extra miles.
    I had to get up at 6am life getting in the way of my usual meet up with my club mates.
    The run went fine iv decided not to run the waterworks next 2weeks with it been very hilly iv decided to run flat enouh routes not goin to get any fitter now before manchester. I took in the lucan rd and done a few miles along the canal was a nice run apart from the bitter cold wind i was actually glad id to only run 13 miles character building stuff running into the cold wind at 6am on a sunday morning.
    13 miles 7 40 a mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super work on the tempo - especially after a heavyish week.

Super work on the tempo - especially after a heavyish week.

Thanks having a good group of runners around u does make the pace honest enough manageable and tough at the same time.
    I'd say alot of my improvements in the last few months have come from this type of session every saturday

• Advertisement

Monday
    6miles
    Woke up feeling fresh and a day of work I felt well rested so I decided I'd run a few mp miles in the 6miles.
    The run started out fine quiet windy decided on a steady first mile then pick up the pace between miles 2 3 4 and 5 then slow the pace on the 6th mile well I say it like I planned to slow on the 6th mile which is a lie I turned into a strong headwind and decided no point killing myself running into it so I dropped the pace.
    Splits
    Mile 1 7 30 min
    Mile 2 6 48 min
    Mile 3 6 50 min
    Mile 4 6 55 min
    Mile 5 6 49 min
    Mile 6 7 21 min

Tuesday
    Again I was lucky enough to be of work had a session of 3/1 mile 2min intervals to do decided to run the session on my own in the dodder park.
    4mile run to the park 7 30 a mile with the wind on my back.
    As I started the first rep I picked what I thought to be a flat route but it was more downhill and with the wind on my back it made for easy enough running I must say but I wasn't to fuzzed about it wit me tapering.
    The 1 mile rep I'd to run up against the drag and wind soon put to bed the thoughts I'd have an easy session was a tough second rep followed by an easy enough 3rd rep again wit the wind.
    Splits
    Mile 1 5 40
    Mile 2 6 10
    Mile 3 5 29

4mile run home into the wind 7 40 a mile

Wednesday
    8miles
    A change in working ours ment I wasn't starting til 8 am wit been used to getting up earlier I decided to go ahead and get my run done early.my thinking is it wil give my legs more rest before my next run tomorrow evening if I get it done early in the day. The run went fine took a while to get into it thoughts of getting home n goin to work wasn't appealing
    8miles
    7 20 a mile

Thursday
    6miles
    Tapering has well n truly kicked in I'm feeling fresh as a daisy and averaged 7 10 a mile on the run and the pace felt easy. As I ran through tallaght two people Shouted out good luck in Manchester as I ran past I was buzzing must admit felt like rocky training for a big fight ha ha

Saturday
    Tymon pkrun
    Coach decided instead of a 5mile tempo a pkrun would be better and arriving for a warm up I felt fresh had a feeling I'd run well
    A lady from the club and few lads ran to so we had a good battle 1st place ran of into the distance think he ran 16 30 s that left me and my club members to battle it out for 2nd.
    I felt good over the first 3km and pushed the pace I opened up a gap on my clubmates so I knew a pb was on here if I maintained it.
    The last mile in tymon is were the pain kicks in its a long miserable drag never ending and a slight look over my shoulder I could see the lady from my club pass me I glanced at my watch and thought I'm still goin well here don't let it effect me push on to the finish for a pb of 17 29.
    I was happy with the run and am actually thinking sub 17 min is a possibility this year on a flat course.
    Splits
    1st km 3 29
    2nd km 3 26
    3rd km 3 22
    4th km 3 35
    5th km 3 36

5km 17 29 min pb

Another confidence booster ahead of next week Gosh, well done. You're in great shape now, enjoy the rest of your taper

Duanington wrote: »
    Another confidence booster ahead of next week Gosh, well done. You're in great shape now, enjoy the rest of your taper

Il try thanks

sunday
    10 miles easy with a few club members felt ok from the parkrun
    10miles 7 45 amile

monday
    5 mile run home from work i had a back pack on made the run uncomfortable i must say
    5miles 7 35 a mile

tuesday
    2 miles mp pace. i decided to do this on my lunch break in bushy park and for some reason my watch was taking forever to load when it eventually does i set of after a 2mile warm up. I was feeling ok then my watch beeps at 1km i forgot to switch it over 3m25 it reads alarm bells go of in my head to fast what u doin i honestly think the watch was of didn feel i was pushing it i scaled back the pace anyway
    splits 1km 3 25
    2km 4 05
    3km 3 58
    mile 13min 50
    2 mile warm down 7 35 a mile

wedneday
    5 miles a run i didnt enjoy i set of around rathfarham on my lunch break and the weather changes instantly from sun and blue skys to poky hail stones i was about a mile in and was thinking dam this is cold so i ducked under a tree for a minute or two then continued wit my run. its funny when i looked at my plan this week i was looking forward to the 5mile easy runs mother nature was against me today. pace was 7 20 amile i didnt even bother checking my pace most of the run

thursday
    4miles a day of work finished up no til monday week ment i got out early for this run i took it easy known my pace was a bit hot yesterday with a marathon coming up.
    pace 7 40 a mile bit of core work to

manchester city marathon
    I fly over to manchester tomorrow friday iv not much planned just to eat plenty of pasta drink plenty of water electolytes ect.
    Saturday il do a 3mile run attend the expo for my number il be in and out wont be hanging around not a fan of standing in queues.
    My plan for the the marathon is hang around the pacers til 13 miles or so then push on my goal is sub 3hrs but there is a belief in me that i can do better than 2 59 so if its al goin well i will push on last 13 miles.
    thanks for al the advice and tips anyone wish to follow my progress on the tracker my bib numbers 705 thanks again hope to do well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck Sunday, hope it goes well for you.

Best of luck Gosh! You're in tip top shape, the hard work will pay off this weekend !

Keep the head and you'll be alright - its a great race.
    The early miles are fantastic - some of the towns you pass through are just magic - great atmosphere.
    Miles 20-24 are a bit of no mans land with no crowds, dont let the negative thoughts creep in.

If your goal is 2:59 - I'd keep with the pacer for the whole thing - they'll have a big group and keep you sane when it gets tough.
    My mistake in the same race was leaving the pacer after 6 miles as I thought he was off the pace - only to see him sail by me with 0.5m to go. He got his crowd through in Sub3 - I failed.

If you leave the pacer, be clear on the risk in your head and don't 2nd guess it.
    Personally, I think you're in much better shape than I was, you have every chance for a great time - just don't go to aggressive and blow up :)

Best of luck!

Keep the head and you'll be alright - its a great race.
    The early miles are fantastic - some of the towns you pass through are just magic - great atmosphere.
    Miles 20-24 are a bit of no mans land with no crowds, dont let the negative thoughts creep in.

If your goal is 2:59 - I'd keep with the pacer for the whole thing - they'll have a big group and keep you sane when it gets tough.
    My mistake in the same race was leaving the pacer after 6 miles as I thought he was off the pace - only to see him sail by me with 0.5m to go. He got his crowd through in Sub3 - I failed.

If you leave the pacer, be clear on the risk in your head and don't 2nd guess it.
    Personally, I think you're in much better shape than I was, you have every chance for a great time - just don't go to aggressive and blow up :)

Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice I was only thinking that it will be a bit lonely when I leave the pacers I'm goin to sit wit them til 13 miles I won't panic checking my watch every mile il see how I feel and then decide on pushing on us the last 6miles flat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best Luck in Manchester some serious training put in, hope Race goes exactly as
    Planed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great 5k pb and perfect timing.

Manchester definitely a good pb course.

Haven't read all your log yet but the last few pages would suggest you're in savage shape.

Looking forward to seeing how you go.

Best of luck

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Wish you the very best in your quest Gosh. You sure are bringing some very good form with you. Make the best of it.

I ran 2 59 17 delighted to do the sub 3hrs full report to follow tomorrow

gosh123 wrote: »
    I ran 2 59 17 delighted to do the sub 3hrs full report to follow tomorrow

Delighted for you! a great run - those who run sub3 deserve a lot of respect. No one can prepare you for the hurt in the last 4 miles.
    Looking fwd to the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done on the sub 3 gosh.

Deserved result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

just figured out who you are :)
    well done in Manchester, well deserved

RayCun wrote: »
    just figured out who you are :)
    well done in Manchester, well deserved

Thanks ray

FRIDAY
    Rest day

SATURDAY
    3 miles I got up about 7 am and headed out around Manchester City centre enjoyed the run.

Sunday
    Manchester City marathon
    I had a bad sleep in fairness alot of tossing and turning was like a kid at Xmas waiting to leave for a marathon instead of waiting to open presents.
    I climbed out of the bed at 5 30 race starts at 9 so decided to get up early to get porridge and a banana into me. After a long shower plenty of pacing around the room trying to keep negative thoughts doubting weather I'd perform out of my head I was ready to leave.
    I left at about 7 30 am arrived in the race village for about 8 decided to make my way to the start line thinking there would be thousands of people there and I'd better get my place only to find the start area with only a handful of people standing around at 8 15 I actually had to ask does the race start at 9 paranoid I read the start time wrong and it was a later start but no people were held up at baggage area by the sounds of it.I didn use baggage area thankfully

Race start
    km 1/5
    After a warm up I got into place and met a lad from Tallaght ac was good to talk to someone he had a similar plan to me we discussed race strategy's and finally we were of. The start was a bit mental I'd no worries about starting to fast as I was boxed in I could see the sub 3hrs pacer ahead so I was content I planned not to be ahead of him til after 13 miles. As we took our first sharp turn we headed towards old Trafford I actually took a moment to myself and said this is what it's al about days like this as I looked at the magnificent stadium and what's goin on around me.
    I felt the sun beating down as we turned onto Trafford wharf Rd and decided take on water at mile 3 as I felt it was necessary.
    Splits
    Km 1 4 19
    Km 2 4 10
    Km 3 4 08
    Km 4 4 15
    Km 5 4 10

Km5/11
    I was getting into my stride now havin to check my pace alot coaches voice in my head about pacing don't start to fast make sure u get sub 3hrs. I'd made my way up to the shoulder of the pacer and found myself havin to slow my pace alot to not pass him I wouldn say I felt comfortable it was a bit of an annoyance iv been used to flying out of the traps and hanging on in my last couple of races today I was following a different race plan took getting used to. I took my first gel at 10km as we headed up Chester Rd I felt ok glancing at my watch on pace job done so far.
    Splits
    Km 6 4 19
    Km 7 4 15
    Km 8 4 12
    Km 9 4 12
    Km 10 4 14
    Km 11 4 16

Km 11/18
    As we passed through the 9 mile mark first thing I say is right 17 miles left treat it as a training run u run that distance in your sleep keep goin .As we approached Brookland Rd and crossed the bridge the support was amazing again slowing my pace it's to early to push on hold on for a few more miles. It didn't help I'd a TV camera following me for 2 minutes not sure if it was me or the lady beside me they were following but il tune into channel 4 see if I make the cut for the highlights.
    Splits
    12 4 10 km
    13 4 18 km
    14 4 10 km
    15 4 13 km
    16 4 19 km
    17 4 18 km
    18 4 08 km

Km 19/27
    As we approached Altrinchan I nearly fall over cones that are a foot high along the double yellow lines why have them there I was thinking what a hazard. I reach mile 13 as we pass through the village I'm contemplating do I go now or stay with the pacer to hell with it I decide to increase the pace slowly I used runners ahead of me as targets slowly reeling them in and passing them it's at this point of the race I'm thinking I'm on here 2 55 is a possibility.
    Splits
    Km 19 4 17
    Km 20 4 16
    Km 21 4 17
    Km 22 4 13
    Km 23 4 07
    Km 24 4 10
    Km 25 4 07
    Km 26 4 10
    Km 27 4 07

Km 28/36
    Everything's goin fine I pass over the 30 km marker timing mat in 2hrs 05 min according to my watch I think of the people following me on the tracker as I pass through it gives me a boost I approach the 20 mile marker on the course I have a mini panic attack thinking f**K this is were the race starts they say Wat if I fail Wat if I blow up I keep glancing at my watch focus on the kms one km at a time ul be at 33km soon only 9 km left ul be fine your nearly there keep goin.
    Splits
    28 km 4 04
    29 km 4 06
    30 km 4 04
    31 km 4 04
    32 km 4 04
    33 km 4 07
    34 km 4 05
    35 km 4 13
    36 km 4 15

37/42km survival mode
    this is were I earned my pb as we headed towards mile 23 I foolishly decided to kick my heels against my backside as I ran biggggggggg mistake as my legs came back down to touch the ground as I ran bang cramp I panic sets in I can't stop not now I can't lose my sub 3hrs this way dcm comes to mind the hurt I felt from it I run with a limp slowed my pace for 2 km I was hurting as I ran the last mile of Stretford Rd as I continued the cramp passed I still didn't want to push the pace and risk not finishing the race with sub 3hrs the sight of the finish line in sight delighted me as I looked at the clock delighted sub 3hrs
    38 km 4 15
    39 km 4 22
    40 km 4 23
    41 km 4 26
    42 Km 4 11
    My watch states 2 57 44 not sure if I need a new one
    Official time I was given was 2 59 14 not to bothered it's a pb of over 21 minutes and iv ran a sub 3hr marathon on my 3rd attempt my goal which has eluded my on my previous attempt so delighted to do it.

Massive congrats Gosh - very impressive training and racing going into this one and you delivered on the day, fair play to you showing the bit of toughness to get through the rough patch towards the end too - super performance, enjoy the recovery now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done and congrats. Looking at your training I was sure you'd smash it. Just goes to show the effort and dedication required to hit the sub 3.

Bask in the glow (of tight hamstrings) :)

TbL

Duanington wrote: »
    Massive congrats Gosh - very impressive training and racing going into this one and you delivered on the day, fair play to you showing the bit of toughness to get through the rough patch towards the end too - super performance, enjoy the recovery now!

Thanks Duanington it was tougher than I thought maybe was a bit over confident goin into it Al ahead of you now heading to Berlin.

Well done and congrats. Looking at your training I was sure you'd smash it. Just goes to show the effort and dedication required to hit the sub 3.

Bask in the glow (of tight hamstrings) :)

TbL

Thanks ye I was confident goin into it thought I'd be closer to 2 55 but sure I hit my main target which was the main thing il be that bit stronger goin into dcm now

I should of really gave a run down of the course yesterday there was alot of negative talk about the marathon.
    I didn't use the baggage area so I'd no problems with this issue.
    I found it a well organised marathon it is flat only a few minor drags in the roads as u cross bridges as u pass through towns but u don't notice it with the amazing support.
    The gels and water stations were ran perfectly plenty of water stations which I was glad of the warm weather didn effect me due to plenty of water stop and the double expresso gel u receive at mile 23 has some kick to it.
    I found the finish area fine heard people complain that there was to many spectators there as u cross the line I didn't find it an issue I was glad to see my gf there and not have to pace around looking for her along the streets of Manchester.
    Only criticisms I'd have is the dam traffic cones along the double yellow lines a foot high not in ur eye line why have them there there not in ur eye line as u weave in and out of People and could of been a tripping hazard
    Asics who supported the event were pretty useless to even a day before the event pulled there tracker due to technical issues was.
    other than that it was fine they had al the important parts covered as in the race itself course was well set up I would do it again found it a good experience although il probably try rotterdam next but will be back in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done gosh great racing,some PB jump. looking forward to seeing how you go in DCM.

• Advertisement

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done gosh great racing,some PB jump. looking forward to seeing how you go in DCM.

Thanks although I'm enjoying the run and sub3hrs can feel my attention switching to dcm slightly il keep the thread goin as I start back running next week thanks alot

Advertisement