Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

marathon blues

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

gosh123 wrote: »
    Thanks dont plan on hanging around :-) hav u ran the race before?

No can't help you there I'm afraid, few around here have. TbL done it few years back might be worth looking back on his log for the race report to give you an idea of the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

tang1 wrote: »
    No can't help you there I'm afraid, few around here have. TbL done it few years back might be worth looking back on his log for the race report to give you an idea of the route.

I'm pretty surely it's measured short. Fairly flat, no hills, a couple of slight drags. Mainly run on quiet country booreens with a stretch out along a busy national road. You might end up running a fair bit of this on your own. I think the marathon runners also start with the half. Very little crowd support on the route. I liked it and ran a decent race and it's fairly well organised. If I remember right the bib number is made from industrial grade cardboard and I needed a drill to afix it to my singlet :)

Good luck with it

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭gosh123

I'm pretty surely it's measured short. Fairly flat, no hills, a couple of slight drags. Mainly run on quiet country booreens with a stretch out along a busy national road. You might end up running a fair bit of this on your own. I think the marathon runners also start with the half. Very little crowd support on the route. I liked it and ran a decent race and it's fairly well organised. If I remember right the bib number is made from industrial grade cardboard and I needed a drill to afix it to my singlet :)

Good luck with it

TbL
    Thanks sounds like a fast enough course,
    Il wear my old singlet so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck tomorrow Gosh, hope all goes to plan and you find A few around
    same target.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Best luck tomorrow Gosh, hope all goes to plan and you find A few around
    same target.

Thanks my clubmate doin it to only been a couple of seconds between us last few races say that wil help me alot looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

1 22 8th place bad day at the office confidence after taking a hit after that just couldn get goin at al from the of faded day to forget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

No doubt you had higher expectations Gosh and I know better than most how that can dent your confidence - think of the bigger picture though....you're coming off the back of 2 of your highest ever mileage weeks (I think?) and while last week was a taper of sorts, it can take longer than we think ( or want to accept!) for the body to adapt when we apply that kind of training load.

You're still in great shape, still training well, still coming out of a summer with a few serious PBs in your pocket and you're training for a marathon - not a half marathon.

Keep the chin up - there'll be other halfs for you to come back to when the time is right

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

1 22 8th place bad day at the office confidence after taking a hit after that just couldn get goin at al from the of faded day to forget

I wouldnt read too much into the result gosh. Conditions on the day were very tough. Wind and warm and humid. I was at the corner before the 10 mile mark and everyone bar the lead two males appeared to be suffering and sweating badly.
    I had a similiar experience at a 10 miler some weeks ago. Conditions were similar and i had come of a few hard weeks training. I had the fallback of checking my heart rate after the race which told me I was working above threshold for the race and at a higher heart rate than a recent 10k yet 20 seconds per k slower. So there was definitely a perfect storm of conditions to effect my performance. I didnt dwell on it and wrote off the experience.
    I suspect something along the same lines happened you. Write it off and move on. Its not an indication of where you are at.

Thanks lads for the comments

Longford hm
    I wont delve to much into the race basically cause iv had the week from hell regards my teeth with pain.

The saturday night before i was awake til 2am with a tooth ache took a few anadin nurofen just to get to sleep,
    My alarm went at 6am n i got up still confident of running well my tooth was still niggling on the car journey out so i took two more anadin max strenght,

We arrived collected our numbers i still felt fresh legs fine and i felt good to go,
    As the race starts we headed through longford town about 1km in i notice the sun beating down and think take on water at every chance i get.
    There was a few drags over the first two miles but i noticed my pace was shi*te.
    I was sayin to myself il wake up as i glance at my watch 3 45 a km was as fast as i could get my legs to go.
    U can imagine how i was feeling id planned 335/340s.
    By 10km i was hanging on in the i was on for sub 1 20 but by the skin of my teeth.
    This is were i began to tire.
    I cant even use the excuse i was out running on my own no one to target there was a group of 5of us they pushed on i faded and faded terribly as the hills of longford see me record a 4.18a km split my head went down further than it already was.
    As we approach the town i glance at my watch to see it tick 1 22 i put my head down n pushed to the finish to salvage a 1 22 56 9th place

Afterwards i was absolutly gutted i must admit al thoughts goin through my mind maybe im not a long distance runner whats the point in doing dcm that was crap i wont get near the target iv set.
    I was really down i just headed home brought the kids the cinema to take my mind of it.
    I do plan to run it again in the future it had the makings of a great race well organised great to finish in the town my performace just ruined the day.

Monday
    After chatting with my coach he suggested my dental problems were to blame. I dont like making excuses and wont i felt i was ok to race but sure maybe next time i wont race after been on painkillers in the lead up to the race.
    6miles 7 49 a mile

Tuesday
    A trip to the dentist was the highlight of today.
    I was putting of goin cause i didnt want to go antibiotics for a week but wit me expecting to be in and out with a perscription and go back next week i was a bit shocked when he said you need two teeth out now and il do it now.i had a gum infection for how long i dont no was only paining the last week.
    The dentist was an ultra runner wed a good chat i told him of my woes from longford he suggested my body could of been wasting energy fighting the infection but anadin nurofen shouldn really effect u.
    Iv decided just to keep the runs easy al week no high milage.
    6miles later that day 740s

Wednesday
    Still not feeling great today almost felt not interested in running like id lost my drive whats the point.
    I put it down to the last few days headed out for 6miles anyway.

Thursday
    Feeling a bit brighter today i headed out for 6miles.
    I felt good i must admit pushed it for a fast last mile thought i was on the rd back to were i was at.
    6miles 7 10amile

Friday
    My gums were a bit soar today iv tried to go without takin painkillers but i had to give in today.
    Iv felt groggy al morning so just done 4miles on my lunch break easy i still sweated alot must admit.
    4miles 7 50 a mile
    I went for a nap once i got home starting to feel alot better hopefully im back on track and getting stuck into my plan from sunday

conavitzky wrote: »
    I wouldnt read too much into the result gosh. Conditions on the day were very tough. Wind and warm and humid. I was at the corner before the 10 mile mark and everyone bar the lead two males appeared to be suffering and sweating badly.
    I had a similiar experience at a 10 miler some weeks ago. Conditions were similar and i had come of a few hard weeks training. I had the fallback of checking my heart rate after the race which told me I was working above threshold for the race and at a higher heart rate than a recent 10k yet 20 seconds per k slower. So there was definitely a perfect storm of conditions to effect my performance. I didnt dwell on it and wrote off the experience.
    I suspect something along the same lines happened you. Write it off and move on. Its not an indication of where you are at.
    Thanks ah thats my plan starting to get over it il just get stuck into the training and target another race before dcm get my confidence back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

The lack of runners around your pace was a big factor to, if your in a group similar to yourself you'll keep pushing but running solo you can easily slack off unbeknownst to yourself. Athlone maybe to soon after Longford but plenty heading to Charleville for you to work with I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

At least you ll be a bit lighter with the few teeth out

tang1 wrote: »
    The lack of runners around your pace was a big factor to, if your in a group similar to yourself you'll keep pushing but running solo you can easily slack off unbeknownst to yourself. Athlone maybe to soon after Longford but plenty heading to Charleville for you to work with I'd imagine.

Ah i dont no i was doin tempos granted only 5kms on my own some tuesdays and felt at ease running 3 35s a km felt i could run at that pace in a half til at least 14/!5km then fade but not to much.
    I did try pushing the pace just wasnt there on the day for some reason fatigue my teeth i dont no but i knew by mile 3/4 it was goin to be a struggle to hit 1 19 never mind my target of 1 17.
    I just have to forget the day.
    My gf is due our son sept 20th so that was my last chance at a good hm pb i builded it up was targetting it why it probaly hurt so much not to do well.
    Il just train and try fit in the odd 5km race maybe 10km if iv time before dcm
    Thanks for the comment n support

rooneyjm wrote: »
    At least you ll be a bit lighter with the few teeth out

Ha ha i wonder wil it be easier to run a pb now that im that bit lighter :-)

Ha ha i wonder wil it be easier to run a pb now that im that bit lighter :-)

If they were both from the same side you might be a bit off balance

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

My gf is due our son sept 20th

Me and the missus where expecting our second girl during the pregnancy when we where congradulated on a baby boy in the delivery room. Just sayin'.

Saturday
    After a chat with the coach thought it best i do a tempo run see were im at if im over the rough week iv had.
    I couldn make marley pk club session cause of family committments so i headed to griffeen vally to take in the pkrun.
    The plan was just to run sub 18min so i set of 3 35a km.
    Already in my mind i was thinkin il push on if im feeling good ignore coaches orders he wont mind if im 30 seconds faster than 17 55.
    It was a rain soaked morning as i warmed up i was drenched earger to get started as i put in a few strides before the of.
    As the pkrun got started i shared the lead with a lad from donore as we swapped places now n again over the first 2km.
    Km 1 3 35
    Km 2 3 31

As the run progressed at about 3km the lad from donore pushed on and been honest that feel good feeling i was hopin for didnt come so i reverted back to holding 3 35 a km not that i had any other choice
    Km 3 3 36
    Km4 3 39

Alarm bells rang in my head when i seen the 4th km hit 3 39 i though ffs if i dont break 18min here il cry so i put the after burners on and got over the line in 17 50

5th km 3 28
    17 50 2nd place

Job done step in the right direction anyway after a rough week still havin an issue wit my mouth but il soldier on think i might need an antibiotic.

Sunday
    21miles
    I was up early decided better salvage something from the week and get a good lsr in.
    The run went fine.
    I havint eating alot the last few days it did tell towards the end of the run. My body felt a little drained and didn help i brought no water again could of done wit it.
    I met a few lads from the club headed the waterworks and a few extra miles around tallaght.
    Hopefully i can just put that week behind me and start fresh tomorrow.
    21miles 7 50 a mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You could be better off just taking a couple of down weeks. Cut the mileage back, and keep the pace easy. No tempos, no intervals, no races, maybe some strides now and again. The poor half, and the 5k being harder than it should have been could both be signs that you are over trained.
    I know, when you are running well, you feel you have to keep pushing on. You want to keep the momentum going. But you have to improve, then consolidate at that level, let your body get used to it, before you start looking for more gains. So maybe what you need now is some rest and recovery time. Go into October fresh and under trained not over trained

RayCun wrote: »
    You could be better off just taking a couple of down weeks. Cut the mileage back, and keep the pace easy. No tempos, no intervals, no races, maybe some strides now and again. The poor half, and the 5k being harder than it should have been could both be signs that you are over trained.
    I know, when you are running well, you feel you have to keep pushing on. You want to keep the momentum going. But you have to improve, then consolidate at that level, let your body get used to it, before you start looking for more gains. So maybe what you need now is some rest and recovery time. Go into October fresh and under trained not over trained

I dont no il see how the next week goes i havin had it easy the last ten days with my dental problems either takin painkillers interupted sleep pattern ect.
    Im back wit the dentist tomo hopefully get an antibiotic clear it up could be that draining my energy to hoping its to do with the considering my loss of form only came when my teeth start acting up

Monday.
    I finished early in work and with a dentist appointment at 2 i decided to get my run done before i went.
    I cycled down to tymon park and just ran loops of the pkrun course actually enjoyed the run must of been the change of scenary instead of running my usuall routes al the time.
    9miles 7 30 a mile

Dentist said iv dry socket were i had my teeth removed i asked him should i take a break from running he said no carry on not that id of listened if he said stop.
    Done a small precedure and it has eased the pain stil taking parecitmol though.
    What i took from it was its time to stop moaning about my dental issues just get on wit the training and get back to the form i was in.

Tuesday
    Club session
    2/20 min reps 5min intervals hm 10mile pace
    The session took place in tymon it was a warm evening nobody was really pushing the place more a sensible tempo run the two reps but it didn feel easy at the same time.
    We run out 10min then turn around and head back to were we start it is a bit of a rolling route ups n downs so u go from been up the top of the group to the back makes it a bit of a challenge to catch up wit everyone before we finish.
    1st 20min rep aveaged 3 43 a km 5.3km
    2nd 20min rep averaged 3 44 a km 5.3km

Wednesday
    13miles
    After an enjoyable run monday i headed back to tymon park again took in the same route around the pkrun course
    13miles 7 35 a mile

Thursday
    Am
    6miles
    Run to work took it easy had the back pack on didn really enjoy this one never do wen iv a back pack on annoys me
    6miles 7 45 a mile

Pm
    8miles
    Run home from work felt alot better left the back pack in work. The was a light breeze hazing rain blowing in my face i found it refreshing.i contemplated a few more miles but decided enough is enough stick wit the plan.

Friday
    Rest day
    I usaully run on my break but felt wit the 2/3weeks i had i needed a rest day plus my gum was still niggling away at me draining my energy like havin a constant headache al week.
    On a positive note the rest day seems to have work ferl fresher no dental pain al day hopefully thats an end to it

• Advertisement

Good stuff, hopefully your back at it now. Those tempo intervals, half marathon pace? What rest period did you take

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Good stuff, hopefully your back at it now. Those tempo intervals, half marathon pace? What rest period did you take

Sorry just realised my error 5min interval not 20.
    Its ment to be inbetween 10mile n hm pace.
    Just once u put in a good hard effort without overdoin it.
    Maybe iv been guilty of running speed sessions to fast last couple of weeks to so i just worked wit one or two of the lads throughout the session

Sorry just realised my error 5min interval not 20.
    Its ment to be inbetween 10mile n hm pace.
    Just once u put in a good hard effort without overdoin it.
    Maybe iv been guilty of running speed sessions to fast last couple of weeks to so i just worked wit one or two of the lads throughout the session

My bad, speed reading

Saturday
    Griffeen valley pkrun
    With the 2/3weeks iv had i went into this aiming for 3 30akm an improvement on last week again if i felt good id push on.
    I arrived early got a 2/3 mile warm up in and was ready to start.
    As the pkrun starts a lad flys out i say to myself grand il fall in behind him.
    The first km was quick 3 25akm and i was feeling good feeling like my old self as i push on i could see the lad ahead of me slow so i push on past him quick glance at the watch and im thinking im on for a good time here.
    Just before the 2km marker we cross a bridge as i leave the bridge u can follow the path around a patch of grass or u can cut the corner by running through the grass.
    Me been honest decide theres a lad on my tail i decide not to cut the corner and take the path around.
    To my dismay as i took the bend i slipped and it really knocked the wind out of me as i tried to recover the pace i was at.
    My breathing got heavier legs felt a bit of a strain from trying to keep balance.
    And i could see in the corner of my eye the lad behind me cutting the corner :-/.
    I got goin again though and felt strong throughout the pkrun and held onto 1st place.
    The thought did come into my my mind if i didnt slip my time would be better but im more so happy with the performance feel iv turned a corner and back on track.
    1st km 3 25
    2nd km 3 28
    3rd km 3 33
    4th km 3 36
    5th km 3 30

17 34 5km

Sunday
    23miles
    Done the majority of this run with a lad from the club we took in the waterworks usual hills and route.
    I remembered my water this time as i had it stashed in a bush so i could collect it on my last 5miles home.
    We pushed the pace a bit today but not to much i feel alot better than last week which is a bonus.
    23 miles 7 45 a mile.

Monday
    I finished work early today legs felt a bit soar today starting of but as the run went on they were fine.
    Just took a route around tallaght very windy and warm today.
    Iv been thinking i might skip the waterworks route on lsr next 2/3weeks for flatter routes just to give my legs a break a bit.
    I cant remember the last time iv done a lsr that hasnt involved takin in that route be a nice change to.
    9miles 7 30 amile

Monday.
    9miles
    I was of work early had to go to a checkup in the hospital with my missus was home for 1aclock so laced up and got a few miles in around tallaght.
    9miles 7 30 a mile

Tuesday
    Id gotten news my gf was been takin into hospital to be induced a week before she was due so i opted not to do my speed session with the club and get it done early in the morning with my phone in my hand incase i got a call.
    Session 2/20min 3min interval mp pace
    I havin decided my mp pace yet but im leaning towards 4min a km which is just sub 2 50 but i wont make a call til october weather to go with it or drop back to 2 52pace.
    The session went fine i done the tymon pkrun loop and it was strangely satisfying running tryin to control my pace to 4min a km.
    One thing i did notice is its easy to hold pace on flat ground but u do have to work a bit when your taking in long drags it doesnt feel easy anyway but i guess iv had alot of miles in the legs the last two weeks maybe why i felt a strain a bit on the drags around tymon.
    I cant remember the splits but i was comfortably under 40min
    10.3km for 40min to fast i know il have to work on my pacing to.

A quick phone call to my gf she was fine out shopping so i fitted in another 5miles 7.20 a mile around tymon.

Wednesday
    We were due in hospital at 8am alot of use wil think im mad but i decided if i get up at 5 do laps of jobstown wit my phone in my hand il still get my run in.
    So i went ahead with it headphones in my ear listening to fm 104 actually got a buzz listening to music the run was maybe faster than it should of been.
    10miles 7 15 a mile

Thursday
    After a long day and night wednesday into thursday my son jake born 2 28 thursday afternoon mother and baby doin fine.
    I got home at 9 pm with my gf and son still in hospital sure i seen another window to get a run in.
    I was tired think i was down for 14 miles decided to just do 11 i made the call when i start seen shadows in the dark knew it was time to get home and get some sleep.
    11miles 7 25 a mile

Friday.
    Up early so decided to take in 5miles around tallaght been hearing alot about runners cadence n stride lately not that im goin to change much this close to dcm i did try out something different in how i hold my hands n fingers as i run so my body is more relaxed as i run.
    5miles 7 20 a mile

Saturday
    Griffeen valley pkrun
    2mile warm up

To be honest i felt tired sleepy not physically today alot of hours of sleep lost this week but i decided just get out and put in a fast effort.
    As the pkrun starts my clubmate ran with me and we were flying 1st km think it was 3 16 akm he was behind me by 10m i shout back were flying here im goin to drop the pace a bit.
    I didnt see the point in putting in a fast run there i want to save it for rathfarmham 5km next week.
    As we pass 2km my clubmate was havin his own battle i still pushed on holding 3 30akm.
    I was satisfied and content that i was still goin to be quicker than last week and running sensibly.
    I pushed on a bit last km claimed 1st and feel im in top shape to give rathfarmham 5km a right go next week

1st km 3 16
    2nd km 3 30
    3rd km 3 31
    4th km 3 32
    5th km 3 26
    17 19 5 km

Sunday
    24miles
    I was actually free to head out later this morning but to clubmates were heading to phoenix pk at 6 so me been a morning person i joined them.
    The run went well i was a bit tired need to catch up on sleep iv plenty of time to do it of work playing daddy for the next 4weeks :-)
    (Andtrainingofcourse)
    I remembered to bring water again and found it a welcome sight as i picked it up leaving the pk heading back towards walkinstown rd about.
    I actuallt misjudged the distance from my house if id carried on home id of ran 44km i was tempted but finished in cheryfield instead and got a lift home of my mate
    24 miles 7 41 a mile

Monday
    9miles
    Took the usual route around tallaght took it easy felt nice and rested actually today.
    9miles 7 25 a mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yes, you are mad ☺
    Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Monday.
    9miles
    I was of work early had to go to a checkup in the hospital with my missus was home for 1aclock so laced up and got a few miles in around tallaght.
    9miles 7 30 a mile

Tuesday
    Id gotten news my gf was been takin into hospital to be induced a week before she was due so i opted not to do my speed session with the club and get it done early in the morning with my phone in my hand incase i got a call.
    Session 2/20min 3min interval mp pace
    I havin decided my mp pace yet but im leaning towards 4min a km which is just sub 2 50 but i wont make a call til october weather to go with it or drop back to 2 52pace.
    The session went fine i done the tymon pkrun loop and it was strangely satisfying running tryin to control my pace to 4min a km.
    One thing i did notice is its easy to hold pace on flat ground but u do have to work a bit when your taking in long drags it doesnt feel easy anyway but i guess iv had alot of miles in the legs the last two weeks maybe why i felt a strain a bit on the drags around tymon.
    I cant remember the splits but i was comfortably under 40min
    10.3km for 40min to fast i know il have to work on my pacing to.

A quick phone call to my gf she was fine out shopping so i fitted in another 5miles 7.20 a mile around tymon.

Wednesday
    We were due in hospital at 8am alot of use wil think im mad but i decided if i get up at 5 do laps of jobstown wit my phone in my hand il still get my run in.
    So i went ahead with it headphones in my ear listening to fm 104 actually got a buzz listening to music the run was maybe faster than it should of been.
    10miles 7 15 a mile

Thursday
    After a long day and night wednesday into thursday my son jake born 2 28 thursday afternoon mother and baby doin fine.
    I got home at 9 pm with my gf and son still in hospital sure i seen another window to get a run in.
    I was tired think i was down for 14 miles decided to just do 11 i made the call when i start seen shadows in the dark knew it was time to get home and get some sleep.
    11miles 7 25 a mile

Friday.
    Up early so decided to take in 5miles around tallaght been hearing alot about runners cadence n stride lately not that im goin to change much this close to dcm i did try out something different in how i hold my hands n fingers as i run so my body is more relaxed as i run.
    5miles 7 20 a mile

Saturday
    Griffeen valley pkrun
    2mile warm up

To be honest i felt tired sleepy not physically today alot of hours of sleep lost this week but i decided just get out and put in a fast effort.
    As the pkrun starts my clubmate ran with me and we were flying 1st km think it was 3 16 akm he was behind me by 10m i shout back were flying here im goin to drop the pace a bit.
    I didnt see the point in putting in a fast run there i want to save it for rathfarmham 5km next week.
    As we pass 2km my clubmate was havin his own battle i still pushed on holding 3 30akm.
    I was satisfied and content that i was still goin to be quicker than last week and running sensibly.
    I pushed on a bit last km claimed 1st and feel im in top shape to give rathfarmham 5km a right go next week

1st km 3 16
    2nd km 3 30
    3rd km 3 31
    4th km 3 32
    5th km 3 26
    17 19 5 km

Sunday
    24miles
    I was actually free to head out later this morning but to clubmates were heading to phoenix pk at 6 so me been a morning person i joined them.
    The run went well i was a bit tired need to catch up on sleep iv plenty of time to do it of work playing daddy for the next 4weeks :-)
    (Andtrainingofcourse)
    I remembered to bring water again and found it a welcome sight as i picked it up leaving the pk heading back towards walkinstown rd about.
    I actuallt misjudged the distance from my house if id carried on home id of ran 44km i was tempted but finished in cheryfield instead and got a lift home of my mate
    24 miles 7 41 a mile

Monday
    9miles
    Took the usual route around tallaght took it easy felt nice and rested actually today.
    9miles 7 25 a mile
    Many congrats on the new arrival. You are tipping along very nicely.

RayCun wrote: »
    Yes, you are mad ☺
    Congratulations!

Thanks ah if i didn run id only be thinking of running al day :-)

paddybarry wrote: »
    Many congrats on the new arrival. You are tipping along very nicely.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Congrats on new arrival, you won't need alarm for early wake up now.

Advertisement