Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tope fishing

Options
  • 01-11-2015 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Am looking for information on where I could go to catch tope heard they can be found on or near Shannon estuary mad to catch one after seeing an old Matt Hayes episode

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

They're caught regularly in the Shannon estuary from the boat, never heard of any from the shore. Best bet is to book a charter. Luke Aston is a very good skipper who often posts photos of tope on his facebook page so he'd be a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Timber planks

Zzippy wrote: »
    They're caught regularly in the Shannon estuary from the boat, never heard of any from the shore. Best bet is to book a charter. Luke Aston is a very good skipper who often posts photos of tope on his facebook page so he'd be a good choice.
    Never thought there would be fish like that to be caught around ireland I'll look into him thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Never thought there would be fish like that to be caught around ireland I'll look into him thanks for your help

lots of big fish in our waters! Once you get a few Tope under your belt, give the Blue Shark a go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Timber planks

Just looked them up there they look savage another fish I'll have to knock off the list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

They're not *that* savage - the biggest I ever caught was a bit shy of 50lb. I've caught cod and coalfish close to that! You can catch them all around the coast - on the East coast I believe you can get them from the beach in places (Greystones area?) although all mine were from a boat. Unfortunately places like Dundalk Bay have been destroyed by the shellfish trawlers so they don't breed there any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

bpmurray wrote: »
    They're not *that* savage - the biggest I ever caught was a bit shy of 50lb. I've caught cod and coalfish close to that! You can catch them all around the coast - on the East coast I believe you can get them from the beach in places (Greystones area?) although all mine were from a boat. Unfortunately places like Dundalk Bay have been destroyed by the shellfish trawlers so they don't breed there any more.
    There was a lad on boards ages ago he's not subscriber anymore but he fished for tope off the beach in grey stones and caught some crackers over 40+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

bpmurray wrote: »

Tope off the east coast beaches are regular, I was fishing for smoothies around july and the guys near me had 8 tope to 30lb. I thought this was common after that as when I enquired to my bait supplier as to what fishing he always said the usual - bass, flounder plaice tope smoothounds!! Never caught one myself but never fished for them as I am a sea angling beginner but plan to go after them next summer.

I also thought they were a summer species!! are they in shannon all year round?

Advertisement