Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anywhere online to see what lighthouses are "active" at any one time?

• 01-11-2015 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

I mean active as in using foghorn one long blast two short blasts every maybe two minutes?

Can I see these lighthouses live online anywhere? Irish lighthouses now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

vicwatson wrote: »
    I mean active as in using foghorn one long blast two short blasts every maybe two minutes?

Can I see these lighthouses live online anywhere? Irish lighthouses now.

The Irish Lights website perhaps?

Certainly they'd be in the Admiralty List of Lights, though not sure if you could access that for free

Most will only sound in Fog anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Had a look there but it shows a map where lighthouses, buoys etc are around the coastline but don't see that it shows which ones that are currently active

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If it's specifically foghorns you're after, you're a few years too late I'm afraid.

I'm fairly sure all foghorms were decommissioned recently, there was a bit of a stink about it at the time but the argument was that shipping is reliant on gps/sat navigation now and foghorns were no longer necessary.

Sad day imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's one singing away as I type, probably the Kish or Baily.

http://irishlighthouses.blogspot.ie/2011/01/foghorns-fall-silent.html

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/last-post-sounds-for-countrys-coastal-fog-horns-26690857.html

Not sure what you're hearing, but these articles refer to what I remember.

Maybe they changed their minds since?

• Advertisement

Yep, there was a flurry of articles at that time, but despite those I have heard at least two still working away in more recent years. I'll ask some one who works in the Baily.

Well, he says it's not the Baily. I would head up to the Summit to check but it seems to have stopped now (and I'm having a don't want to leave the house day).

The only one I know for sure about is the East Pier on DL, which was definitely stopped at the time.

Maybe there's other places that blow horns? It'd seem strange for CIL to put everyone's back up by making an announcement like that, and then not actually doing it!

This was in Wexford this morning, not near the sea but was every two minutes. It was definitely a fog horn so they haven't been decommissioned.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    This was in Wexford this morning, not near the sea but was every two minutes. It was definitely a fog horn so they haven't been decommissioned.
    This is the bit that's puzzling me.

How far from the sea?

tricky D wrote: »

That went exactly every two minutes for about an hour?
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    This is the bit that's puzzling me.

How far from the sea?

I was about 10km but as we know it was VERY still this morning

Advertisement