Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 10 - Should I upgrade from Win7 ?

• 01-11-2015 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads, as the titles suggest, should I upgrade to 10 while it's still free ?

How have people found it specifically in relation to gaming ?

When I used to have Windows XP...I never upgraded to Vista (well..I tried Vista and hated it...so rolled back) and then didn't upgrade till Win7 came out.
    I have also avoided 8, because I hated it (was forced to use it in work before it came out) and heard people had trouble with it for games etc.

So how have people been finding Win10 ?

Also, if I upgrade is it quite easy, does my drive need to be formatted again or will it make use of the space already assigned to the OS ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Hi Lads, as the titles suggest, should I upgrade to 10 while it's still free ?

How have people found it specifically in relation to gaming ?

When I used to have Windows XP...I never upgraded to Vista (well..I tried Vista and hated it...so rolled back) and then didn't upgrade till Win7 came out.
    I have also avoided 8, because I hated it (was forced to use it in work before it came out) and heard people had trouble with it for games etc.

So how have people been finding Win10 ?

Also, if I upgrade is it quite easy, does my drive need to be formatted again or will it make use of the space already assigned to the OS ?

My upgrade was a bit painful,,, spent ages doing the install..... loaded up, black screen.... But why? I reboot and it auto rolls back so more waiting. I try again and however long again I get a black screen. Google harder about it and it seems to be antivirus issue. So.... reboot, wait for the roll back, uninstall AV and reinstall again.

Best part of a day later it installs properly but then I can't for love nor money get windows to recognise my wifi receiver. More dicking about and I can't remember how I fixed this one but eventually got it to work.

So, since all that faffing about..... yeah I like it but when I say like I mean... it's not better or worse that 7. I suppose I'm not as big of a fan of the start menu as it's a bit different but ultimately I turn pc on, I browse internet. I start games and I play them and it has done all this flawlessly, oh except for a weird recently discovered 'bug' whereby if I plug out my saitek joystick it borks the mouse until I hard reset.

Otherwise.... all good.... (and this was an upgrade from 7, no file **** ups from what I've found, and apart from the above everything worked pretty much out of the box)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I've had no real problems with it. No issues upgrading from either 7 or 8.1 and the only bad bug I've found is if you've extra language packs installed and text in system menus being a bit "confused" about what language it's supposed to be in from time to time.

I'm a bit surprised how smooth it was so far to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yeah I forgot, I upgraded my GFs 8.1 laptop with no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm happy with my upgrade, no issues what so ever. Really nice experience on windows 10 if I'm honest

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Uses less disk space (handy for SSD users) and it is considerably zippier than 7 was I find (same experience when I went from 7 to 8.1). I'd say go for it, if you change your mind you can revert back to the previous OS quite easily

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Make sure the hardware supports W10.

I've got a Asrock P67 Pro3 motherboard and it doesn't support W10 with the latest bios not booting and all previous versions showing incorrect readings(100% CPU usage at all times) :(

500,000,000% CPU usage...
    http://prntscr.com/8xxsga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The upgrade was painless for me. At work I had to upgrade the PC to get it to upgrade.

Over all it's not much different from the way 7 works. You could ignore a lot of new stuff and things work more of less the same. It seems quite intuitive.

Every so often it seems to have a complete mental breakdown for me, it just hangs for ages and won't do anything, restart seems to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CeltS_Kavo

I went from windows 7 to 10 and had no problems at all very happy with it.. I tried windows 8 didn't like it 10 is much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Had a few issues with user access controls and the likes and had to give Starcraft 2 permission to access My Documents so it could save the game.

Apart from that I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'm sticking with Windows 7 until support drops. Too much smoke with Windows 10 in user control, security etc. I think W7 will be my last Windows system. My main OS is a linux distro. Not ideal for most gaming but I've still played a few things on it (Legend of Grimrock, FTL, Skullgirls, Insurgency etc).

I may use W10 if a game becomes DX12 exclusive like Tekken 7 (please have a PC release) or if I decide there's not a single non-gaming thing I use windows for anymore in which case a dedicated W10/DX12 system might be better for a handful of games on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement