Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Factorisation Question

• 01-11-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello. Just wondering if anybody could help me factorise the equation: a^2 +2ab+10b^2=0 (the ^ meaning to the power of)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Are you sure on the signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 randomlad727

Actually coming to think of it I may be going wrong earlier in the question. It is an abstract inequality question.
    The equation starts off as : a^2 > -2b(a+5b) . I assumed you would multiply out the brackets and then bring everything to one side but maybe this is where I am going wrong. (> supposed to mean greater than or equal too but I dont know how to get the full sign on the keyboard)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

You were on the right track. Trick is to split the 10 up into 9+1...that way you can complete a square with the other terms (which must be positive, or 0) and the 9b^2 is also positive (or 0)

Inequality.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29 randomlad727

Great! Thank you for your help! Much appreciated! :)

Advertisement