Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any decent bookshops in Carlow ?

Options
  • 01-11-2015 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

The ones I know of are the Book Station on the main street which is just a stationary shop with a few new releases. And Eason's in Fairgreen which has a better selection but its really cramped and gets a lot of traffic.

Is there any bigger ones with a bit of seating and a good selection ? Or smaller/quieter ones out of the way with a decent selection of classics ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The ones I know of are the Book Station on the main street which is just a stationary shop with a few new releases. And Eason's in Fairgreen which has a better selection but its really cramped and gets a lot of traffic.

Is there any bigger ones with a bit of seating and a good selection ? Or smaller/quieter ones out of the way with a decent selection of classics ?

Is there still a small one in the Shopping Centre beside Super Valu? I don't think it's still there though.
    Other than what you've mentioned, very little. It's poor compared to Kilkenny really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

road_high wrote: »
    Is there still a small one in the Shopping Centre beside Super Valu? I don't think it's still there though.
    Other than what you've mentioned, very little. It's poor compared to Kilkenny really.

Its poor compared to everywhere I've been. You'd think with Carlow being a student town there'd be a market for a good bookshop/cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Its poor compared to everywhere I've been. You'd think with Carlow being a student town there'd be a market for a good bookshop/cafe.

Books are all second hand business these days. I'd love to put a bookshop into the cafe but there's not a market there for new books anymore. (UNless you're Amazon or Digital)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

The Book People Warehouse are coming to Unit 3, 1, Talbot Tce. on Browneshill Rd., Carlow on Saturday the 28th of November from 11am-3pm & the prices are pretty good on stuff like Alex Fergusons book in comparison with Book Station (which in turn is often more competitive than Easons albeit with less availability) > https://www.facebook.com/events/1538100979815456/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

brianblaze wrote: »
    Books are all second hand business these days. I'd love to put a bookshop into the cafe but there's not a market there for new books anymore. (UNless you're Amazon or Digital)

There's definitely a market for it, probably not as big as it once was but plenty of bookshops around the country still manage. As a student town with multiple colleges you'd think Carlow would have a bit more to offer in the way of a market than the likes of Wexford for example.

A decent bookshop/stationary/cafe could do good business in a place like Carlow I reckon. Probably wouldn't be worth the risk or effort for a small retailer but I'd have thought it would be an ideal place for the likes of The Book Centre to set up shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There's definitely a market for it, probably not as big as it once was but plenty of bookshops around the country still manage. As a student town with multiple colleges you'd think Carlow would have a bit more to offer in the way of a market than the likes of Wexford for example.

A decent bookshop/stationary/cafe could do good business in a place like Carlow I reckon. Probably wouldn't be worth the risk or effort for a small retailer but I'd have thought it would be an ideal place for the likes of The Book Centre to set up shop.

There used be a branch on Tullow St. closed a long time now.

Students spend far more time in the bar than in a bookshop these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

Unfortunately you are right but we still peddle the line that we are a well educated workforce - should be a well rote educated workforce who are incapable of thinking for themselves.

I think the best chance of a book shop succeeding would be on a franchise basis within an established premises such as your coffee shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

sure everyone has kindles now, or they just order what they want online

bookshops can surely only survive in larger towns. even then i can't imagine they do great business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I wonder would there be a market anywhere for a coffee shop where you bring in your electronic reading device and they let you download the first few pages of a book and if you like it you pay for the full version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Unfortunately you are right but we still peddle the line that we are a well educated workforce - should be a well rote educated workforce who are incapable of thinking for themselves.

I think the best chance of a book shop succeeding would be on a franchise basis within an established premises such as your coffee shop.

Students in all countries spend time in bars . Reading starts in the home with lots of interesting books available for children . We have a well educated workforce that have proved themselves in many countries in the world .My daughters worked in Northern Ireland , England Austria America and New Zealand and the Irish work ethic and education was valued . They and their friends have never had problems getting jobs and keeping them in all continents except Antarctica.
    In England the top 50% have a very good education but the bottom 50% only know who is in Eastenders and celebrity gossip .
    Irish students do well despite problems in the education system . My daughter along with 75 other people applied for a job in London 11 were called for interview and 5 Irish got the jobs . American graduates would put a tail on a cat but they would have to catch the cat first .
    The economics of Bookshops do not stand up now days .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Another Carlow book shop thread, another teary reminder of Pauls Bookshop on Tullow Street :(

I'd say Paul isn't teary eyed with selling that property when he did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Sadly the answer is no. Bookstation and Easons are to be honest glorified newsagents. I remember Paul's bookstore on the corner of Tullow St and Dublin St. Seems a lifetime ago now. How long is that gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

mid 90s (ish) i think. nope google says 2004

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

was it only 2004? i'd have thought well longer than that too

used to love going in there and have a browse through the fantasy section. paul would always have a few words to say about what he'd gotten in, or even if he'd got some good ones in second hand

good egg that chap

Advertisement