Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making broken socket safe

Options
  • 01-11-2015 7:48pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I was getting some plastering done yesterday and when the socket was unscrewed from the wall one of the wires snapped, causing the circuit breaker to trip (which effectively cut power to most of the sockets in the house).

I don't need the socket in question to be usable right away so can wait to get an electrician out to fix it, but I would like the rest of them back ASAP.

Is there a way to make it safe so that it doesn't cause another trip (or worse) when I replace the fuse? Would some electrical on the exposed wire do to stop it arcing again?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

flogen wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I was getting some plastering done yesterday and when the socket was unscrewed from the wall one of the wires snapped, causing the circuit breaker to trip (which effectively cut power to most of the sockets in the house).

I don't need the socket in question to be usable right away so can wait to get an electrician out to fix it, but I would like the rest of them back ASAP.

Is there a way to make it safe so that it doesn't cause another trip (or worse) when I replace the fuse? Would some electrical on the exposed wire do to stop it arcing again?

Thanks.

Which wire broke?

It would be best get someone who knows what they are doing to fix the problem asap. As although you probably won't be using this socket, the broken wire might mean other sockets on the same circuit might not work or even worse might not be safe to use (eg broken earth wire).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Which wire broke?

It would be best get someone who knows what they are doing to fix the problem asap. As although you probably won't be using this socket, the broken wire might mean other sockets on the same circuit might not work or even worse might not be safe to use (eg broken earth wire).

The live had broken out of one of the terminals and the earth had broken too - wouldn't be surprised if one hit off the other.

Rewired it and all of the plugs came back with no issue - thanks for your help.

Advertisement