Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Reed sensors on HKC alarm

Options
  • 01-11-2015 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi
    My alarm when set goes off immediately saying alarm pulse front windows. And nothing has hit the windows.

So I think the reed sensor needs to be changed.

My question is what wires on the old one go there in the new one. I attach pictures of the old and new.

New says tamper , sensor and reed/spare with lines pointing to where the wires go.

The old one does not so I don't know which wire goes where.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Where are the pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gjb

KoolKid wrote: »
    Where are the pictures?

Sorry having trouble uploading

gjb wrote: »
    Sorry having trouble uploading

Photos attached

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Ok
    the 2 Yellows go to the 2 centre connections for the tamper.
    The 2 reds go either side of them for the sensor.
    Use the 2 outer terminals to to join the 2 blues & 2 blacks. It doesn't matter which is which .

Ok
    the 2 Yellows go to the 2 centre connections for the tamper.
    The 2 reds go either side of them for the sensor.
    Use the 2 outer terminals to to join the 2 blues & 2 blacks. It doesn't matter which is which .

Thanks did that .

There are two front windows in the room. I replaced both sensors. It now says 'open zones' front windows and won't set. Any suggestions. I wired both sensors the same way.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks did that .

There are two front windows in the room. I replaced both sensors. It now says 'open zones' front windows and won't set. Any suggestions. I wired both sensors the same way.

Thanks

The sensor head has an arrow, this needs to be pointing upwards to close the zone.

Thanks did that .

Thanks

You can eliminate this down to one or the other by opening each sensor one at a time & joining the yellows together & the reds together.

You can eliminate this down to one or the other by opening each sensor one at a time & joining the yellows together & the reds together.

There are actually four windows in the zone.
    I think it is this one (photo attached) that is causing problem. I was going to replace with one of the other ones I took off. I got a bit confused where should the wires go. I know where the yellow goes. I not even sure if the blue was connected.

Thanks

On that type sensor the writing on the sensor head must be horizontal. If it is vertical it will show open. The yellow would wire into the other side of the tamper where the 2 terminals are on their own.

On that type sensor the writing on the sensor head must be horizontal. If it is vertical it will show open. The yellow would wire into the other side of the tamper where the 2 terminals are on their own.

I've wired the yellow into the tamper.

The resistor from the tamper where does that go?

If I call the terminals where the wires go from left to right 1 , 2 , 3, 4 . Can you tell me where the red. Blue. black wires and the resistors go.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hard to make out from the picture. Is there part of a resistor connected to the red cable?
    Can you put up another picture facing the 4 terminals . Also, I done see a magnet aligned to this .Is it just a sensor?

I've wired the yellow into the tamper.

The resistor from the tamper where does that go?

If I call the terminals where the wires go from left to right 1 , 2 , 3, 4 . Can you tell me where the red. Blue. black wires and the resistors go.

Thanks

For that to be duel end of line it would be 3 cores used, also looks like the black is not in use.
    Its very hard to make out in the picture you uploaded.
    Here is an end of line contact wired duel end of line.

367665.JPG

Hard to make out from the picture. Is there part of a resistor connected to the red cable?
    Can you put up another picture facing the 4 terminals . Also, I done see a magnet aligned to this .Is it just a sensor?

There is no magnet on this window. It's just a sensor.

Here are other pictures. I wired up like this and it set was ok for about 5 mins and then alarm went off. It said 'alarm pulse' front windows. What else could be wrong if I changed the sensors?

Could the resistors be the problem ?

altor wrote: »
    For that to be duel end of line it would be 3 cores used, also looks like the black is not in use.
    Its very hard to make out in the picture you uploaded.
    Here is an end of line contact wired duel end of line.

367665.JPG

Thanks see my reply to KoolKid

There is no magnet on this window. It's just a sensor.

Here are other pictures. I wired up like this and it set was ok for about 5 mins and then alarm went off. It said 'alarm pulse' front windows. What else could be wrong if I changed the sensors?

Could the resistors be the problem ?

The wiring looks correct.Is the writing on that sensor head horizontal when you put it back together? Is the other sensor head aligned with the arrow up?
    After that it would be a case of checking the resistance on the entire loop to see if a sensor is faulty?

The wiring looks correct.Is the writing on that sensor head horizontal when you put it back together? Is the other sensor head aligned with the arrow up?
    After that it would be a case of checking the resistance on the entire loop to see if a sensor is faulty?

Yes writing is up when back together

Yes arrow up on other

Could I just replace the resistors. Is the resisted centre written on them ?

I have a multi meter how would I check resistence ? Thanks

The writing on the one in the pic should be horizontal.

Yes arrow up on other

Could I just replace the resistors. Is the resisted centre written on them ?

I would check for a loose connection.
    Other than that you are looking at starting the panel and working your way to the last sensor to identify the issue.

Disconnect the zone from the panel & remove any end of line resistors,
    Set you meter to continuity and connect the pair to the 2 meter leads.
    on a length of cable long enough to reach all your windows on zone 3.
    Make a note of the reading in ohms. One by one tap every sensor. After a tap or an open close the resistance should return to the around the same value. If it does not disconnect that device , close of the pair wired into it & move on. Replace any that you had to close off.

The writing on the one in the pic should be horizontal.

Sorry yes it's horizontal

• Advertisement

OK. The next step is either go with the above testing the resistance or close off 1 sensor head at a time and test the alarm again.

OK. The next step is either go with the above testing the resistance or close off 1 sensor head at a time and test the alarm again.

I will close off one sensor head at a time.

How do i close the last one on the loop ?

Thanks

Short out the 2 centre block of the four .

Advertisement