Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Pubs of Christmas - Dublin

Options
  • 01-11-2015 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

Going down to Dublin on the 23rd and hoping to do the 12 Pubs that night. Anybody got good routes that are good craic and won't break the bank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

No matter which pubs you go to if you just buy one pint in each of the 12 pubs you'll be spending minimum 100 euro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

wakka12 wrote: »
    No matter which pubs you go to if you just buy one pint in each of the 12 pubs you'll be spending minimum 100 euro

So, 100 euro is pocket money to the average worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

TBH no pub will probably let you in. Plenty of Bars last year had a no 12 pubs policy and christmas jumpers were banned. Chances are most pubs wont let you in. Plus it so close to Christmas Day, they wont be stuck for the Business.

All the pubs in Dublin are so tired of it. Its generally a group of dozen or more ****ed up lads there for maybe an hour max getting more wasted and acting the utter bollox. Its generally not how 98% of patrons Dublin bars act. A few annoying lads on the 12 pubs can really destroy the atmosphere in a bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Minimum €8.30 a pint in every pub in Dublin? Where did you dream that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Twelve pubs thing is out of fashion now.

Too much disruption, barmen don't like it. Punters who are not doing it don't like it either.

Pubs are heaving anyway, a gang of you in Christmas jumpers will be roasting lol.

Forget it.

Just have a few pints. The pubs in Dublin will be great craic at that time without the jumpers anyway.

Trust me. You will have a ball, just don't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

incorrect, average cost is no more than €5.60 and some are cheaper so the maximum you will spend is about €66. add in bus fair in and out of town and a quick trip to the chipper and your talking about €75 which is good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Most start on Upper baggot street. Usually Searsons, the Landsdowne or the Waterloo, they are always accommodating to the 12 pubs as you'll be starting sober and won't be a absolute mess. usually the wheels leave the cart just before Stephens Green.

The closer you get towards town the messier you'll get and even if your not messy it be harder and harder to get into the pubs.

We did our 12 pubs of Christmas in the middle of summer. No hassle, great day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Organised drinking. What fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Most start on Upper baggot street. Usually Searsons, the Landsdowne or the Waterloo, they are always accommodating to the 12 pubs as you'll be starting sober and won't be a absolute mess. usually the wheels leave the cart just before Stephens Green.

The closer you get towards town the messier you'll get and even if your not messy it be harder and harder to get into the pubs.

We did our 12 pubs of Christmas in the middle of summer. No hassle, great day out.

ive done it about 8 years in a row now and apart from one pub, we have never had a problem getting into any place unless it was actually full.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Where did the idea for the 12 pubs start? Was it an idea spawned by the Vintners Association by any chance? Hope so cos I like the idea of them having created a monster that they now don't want to deal with.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

OldGoat wrote: »
    Where did the idea for the 12 pubs start? Was it an idea spawned by the Vintners Association by any chance? Hope so cos I like the idea of them having created a monster that they now don't want to deal with.

Great idea for a pub at the top of a hill actually. You're the starting point, you get them when they're fresh and actually able to handle a pint or two, no mess no fuss. It's the poor fecker at the bottom of the hill that's in bother, all he gets is hassle.

If you ever win the Lotto, buy a pub at the top of a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OldGoat wrote: »
    I think it came from a modified version of pub golf. Pub golf being a game where you visit 9 or 18 pubs and everyone gets the same drink, with a different drink in most pubs. Your score is the number of gulps it takes to down the drink. Someone sets out the route and the par for each pub.

12 pubs is very a similar with the set route and rules, so I'd say someone who was a fan of pub golf decided to do a Xmas-themed one and it went from there.

Seems to be running out of steam in general. Where some people used to take it very seriously, the proper rules guarantee you're completely obliterated. So those doing a work "12 pubs" are often just on a simple pub crawl for the craic rather than being hammered and rowdy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Moved from After Hours. If you are following this thread from AH, please consult the Dublin City forum charter before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In Skerries, we have had a St Stephen's Day tradition of doing the 13 pubs for many, many years. Any time I did it I ended up staying put in whatever bar I had my eighth pint in, had 5 more & saved myself the walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

newacc2015 wrote: »
    TBH no pub will probably let you in. Plenty of Bars last year had a no 12 pubs policy and christmas jumpers were banned. Chances are most pubs wont let you in. Plus it so close to Christmas Day, they wont be stuck for the Business.

All the pubs in Dublin are so tired of it. Its generally a group of dozen or more ****ed up lads there for maybe an hour max getting more wasted and acting the utter bollox. Its generally not how 98% of patrons Dublin bars act. A few annoying lads on the 12 pubs can really destroy the atmosphere in a bar

To be fair, how are they supposed to know it's a 12 pubs thing? I'm sure it'd be easy enough to disguise the crew as just a bunch of lads meeting for a quick pint. That's what we did last year anyway :D

@OP: The Baggot Mile is a good one. Baggot St, Dublin 4 (Dublin 2?)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Ye sneaky, sneaky bastards :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭Andrew Laeddis

We just tend to stick to Camden Street/Wexford Street/Aungier Street/Georges Street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Doing it since 2007, never turned away, but we don't dress up and we don't have any silly drinking rules/games.

Here's our lists down the years you're welcome to them. Capel St this year fwiw.

Kehoe's, Anne's St
    McDaids
    Bruxelles
    International
    Stags Head
    Mercantile
    Citi Bar
    Auld Dub
    Palace Bar
    Mssrs
    Mulligans
    McTurcaills

The Flowing Tide, Marlborough St
    The Sackville
    Madigans
    Grand Central
    The Oval
    The Bachelor
    Knightsbridge
    Pravda
    The Lotts
    Gin Palace
    TP Smyths
    The Church

Cassidy's, Westmoreland St
    Quay's Bar
    VAT House
    The Bank
    The Bankers
    Le Cirk
    3 Crowne Alley
    Foggy Dew
    Brogan's
    Thomas Reads
    The Porterhouse
    Bull and Castle

O'Neill's, Suffolk St
    O'Donoghue's
    Porterhouse
    Davy Byrne's
    The Duke
    Kehoe's
    Cafe en Seine
    Dawson Lounge
    Sinnott's
    Peter's Pub
    Hairy Lemon
    bia Bar

The Waterloo, Baggot St
    The Fifty One
    Smyth's
    Larry Murphy's
    McGrattan's
    Toners
    The Baggot Inn
    Doneny & Nesbitt's
    Foley's
    O'Donoghue's
    Hartigan's
    Dandelion

Addison Lodge, Glasnevin
    Sunnybank Hotel
    Gravediggers
    Botanic House
    Hedigan's
    Porterhouse
    Smith's
    Bohemian
    The Hut
    Phibsborough House
    Red Mill
    McGowan's

Estuary Bar, Swords
    Harp Bar
    The Pound
    The Star
    The Cock Tavern
    44 Main Street
    The Lord Mayors
    The Old Schoolhouse
    The Old Boro
    Wrights Wine Bar
    Wrights Cafe Bar
    Rouge

Dame Tavern, Dame Court
    The Exchequer
    Hogan's
    The Long Hall
    Capitol
    P Macs
    Hairy Lemon
    Peters Pub
    The Clarendon
    Pygmalion
    Grogan's
    Dakota

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭Andrew Laeddis

Anyone do the 12 bookies of Xmas? Where you go on a bookies crawl and place a bet in a different bookies. While you're locked? Just me? Oh...........

• Registered Users Posts: 68,853 ✭✭✭✭L1011

podge018 wrote: »
    but we don't dress up and we don't have any silly drinking rules/games.

That's pretty much the requirement to get in - don't dress up and you'll probably be fine.

Any group of lads in stupid jumpers in December is going to get turned away, particularly if they've obviously had a few already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I must be getting old. Under no circumstances would I be able to drink 12 pints on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Augme

keano_afc wrote: »
    I must be getting old. Under no circumstances would I be able to drink 12 pints on a night out.

Most people that do it can't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,853 ✭✭✭✭L1011

For pissing-like-a-racehorse reasons, a fair few (or all) of the 12 would be shorts for most people. Which is less alcohol and massively less fluid volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

The biggest hurdle people give themselves is starting at 6 or 7 and trying to do it in 30 mins per pub. That's not going to work.
    If you start at 2 or 3 in the afternoon you've some chance, especially if you factor in fast food along the way.

No idea how it started, but I know some guys who were doing it maybe ten years ago. Think they called it "Aul' lad's jumper day", where you'd get the most ridiculous looking heavy wool jumper your Dad had from the 70s/80s and wear that. Maybe attach something Christmassy to it - one of the guys put Christmas lights on attached to a battery pack in his pocket. Nobody else (or very few) was doing it at the time, everybody saw it as a novelty.

It gradually spread, probably from people seeing similar groups out and thinking it looked like fun.
    But then at some point it became "a thing", shops started selling "Christmas jumpers" at 20 quid a go, and it all went downhill very fast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Anyone do the 12 bookies of Xmas? Where you go on a bookies crawl and place a bet in a different bookies. While you're locked? Just me? Oh...........

Lol, you've cracked me up, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Augme wrote: »
    Most people that do it can't either.

we must have issues then because there's 6-8 of us that have done it since 2007 and it's pints only, not allowed bottles or shorts, and 12 pints is never a problem. A big feed beforehand and spaced out over 10 hours or so you'll find it's a piece of piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's meant to be part of it. In effect it's a "last man standing" drinking game, where the aim is to drink 12 pints in 12 pubs in a six-hour period.
    As has been said, it's doable if you're well rested and have enough to eat earlier on in the day. That's not to say you're sober at the end, but six hours is time enough to still be upright and relatively coherent.

Problem is that people usually embark on it after working all day and having eaten nothing but a sandwich for lunch, so they're on their ear by pub 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

seamus wrote: »
    Seems to be running out of steam in general.

Thank god for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Most people can't. Which is why so many pubs turn them away now. They don't want to deal with the messiness that starts to occur around pints number 6 & 7, never mind pints 11 & 12. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ive done it about 8 years in a row now and apart from one pub, we have never had a problem getting into any place unless it was actually full.
    Same here, never a problem getting in anywhere. I've missed the last 4 years cos I've kids now, but my mate says town is full of idiots doing it with christmas jumpers and fúcking whistles! Blowing the whistle when rules are broken. Don't blame bar staff for not letting them in.
    MOH wrote: »
    The biggest hurdle people give themselves is starting at 6 or 7 and trying to do it in 30 mins per pub. That's not going to work.
    If you start at 2 or 3 in the afternoon you've some chance, especially if you factor in fast food along the way.
    I do the same, start at 3. Half hour a pub is really fast drinking and that's 6 hours.
    No matter which pubs you go to if you just
    buy one pint in each of the 12 pubs you'll be spending minimum 100 euro
    Bio Mech wrote: »
    Minimum €8.30 a pint in every pub in Dublin? Where did you dream that?
    Because wakka12 lives in the real world. If you really believe the price of a night out doing the 12 pubs is the price of a pint multplied by 12, you'll be in for a shock.

Advertisement