Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant for furnishing council house...?

Options
  • 02-11-2015 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

I have just found out that I've been allocated a council house, but that it won't be ready for a good few months. I was wondering does anyone know if there is still a grant available for furnishing it etc, from the Community Welfare Officer, and if so how much?

I am on Disability Allowance, as I am being treated for cancer, and because it's non-curable, and causing me a lot of pain etc,it's unlikely I will ever be able to work again. For this reason, I just need to know roughly how much of a grant (if any) they give people, as I need to try and work out in advance what I need, and budget/save for stuff etc.

I did ask the CWO about it, but they were very vague, and said they wouldn't really discuss it until I have the official letter from the council etc, but the council say they don't issue the paperwork til just before you move in, which will be months away. I just wondered if anyone had any information on it. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They're very vague because it does depend on where you'll be living, what is already in the house when you get there etc.

As a rough guide you get allowances for flooring, window coverings and white goods. You may also get a bed allowance. Anything else you'll buy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Agreeing with January's reply. Plus as you are on a disability payment even if it is a newly built house the Council may do more in terms of putting in floor coverings and painting in order to spare you that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

From experience, you must submit quotes for everything. It's roughly 2k but it depends on what's needed.

Advertisement