Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partition resized, Windows 8.1 not booting, UEFI

Options
  • 02-11-2015 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi all,

Ok, I have a new lenovo ideapad 305 (system is UEFI boot), I used minitool partition wizard (on a bootable USB) to resize the c: & d: drives (to increase space on the D) but didn't touch anything else, rebooted into windows & it seemed nothing had changed, so I booted up again on the minitool wizard USB and the partitions were exactly what I had changed them to. Thinking this was really weird, I tried rebooting to windows & have not been able to get into windows since.

I've gone through the BIOS, tried disabling secure boot, swapping between UEFI First and Legacy First, but cannot get the windows dvd (I've tried the windows 8.1 dvd (don't have the repair disc)) to see the partitions or even refresh or reset, it gives the error "the drive where windows is installed is locked" or "unable to reset your pc. a required drive partition is missing", but the minitool wizard sees the partitions just fine.
    I've tried several discs such as hiren's cd just to try to get to a GUI (mini windows) but always get a bluescreen (trying to load the GUI). I tried GParted, also no luck.

I tried the System recovery from the Novo Button Menu, but all I get is "Default boot device missing or boot failed" it then demands installation media which I already know won't help with recovery.

Would it be right to assume (since at least some tools can see the partitions) that it is simply a problem with how the partition table is being identified? If that's the case, is there any software tool that can correct it?
    I'd rather fix the problem than reload the whole thing (but it looks like I'll end up doing just that), any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement