Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bullying at work.

Options
  • 02-11-2015 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I worked in a restaurant as I was training to be a chef. Gone into 3rd year so I decided Id move resturant to get more experience and because it's part of college. Im there 8 weeks and I have to complete a total of 16 weeks before I go back to college. So just halfway through my training. I get along with every one but one chef (lets call him James), First off I got on well with him, there was the odd slaging here and there, but it was very rear and I kinda just laughed it off. But now within the last week or two he is making a joke out of me. Today he started imitating me with what I was saying and then I was in the fridge looking for a food commodity and he said "Ah it's there wake up! it's 4 o clock" then I made 3 different types of veg and he said that one part was way over done and he kept squishing it in his hand, I then asked the head chef about the over done part and he said it was a bit over done but it was fine to use. James tries to pick things that I make and find a fault with them.

there is also another chef that does laugh at what he says, and is always there when these incidents happen. But doesn't really pick on me. It's gone to a stage were I don't like even going to work infear that I have to work with him. Like the busy days friday, saturday and sunday. But when I work with him on a monday or tuesday he doesn't do anything to me. Its just me and him just working the quite days Like monday or tuesday. But I've started to dislike work, but I have another 8 weeks to do or else Il fail the first term of college...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Are you being paid or are you there as part of placement from college? If its the latter bring it up with the placement officer to see if they can find a solution. Or perhaps before going that far, have a chat with the guy and tell him he is making you uncomfortable.

From my experience, kitchens can be quite intimidating places so if you want a career as a chef you may need to develop a thicker skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Lux23 wrote: »
    Are you being paid or are you there as part of placement from college? If its the latter bring it up with the placement officer to see if they can find a solution. Or perhaps before going that far, have a chat with the guy and tell him he is making you uncomfortable.

From my experience, kitchens can be quite intimidating places so if you want a career as a chef you may need to develop a thicker skin.

Im been paid 6 p/h, but it's for part of college.

Oh they can be indeed and Im all for "banter". But when the wee slagin's are becoming an regular occurrence it becomes depressing....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

its 8 weeks , knuckle down and get on with it.
    While this kind of work place can be tough knowing that there is a clear end date and a clear reward you will need to power through and not make too many waves. Ireland is a small place and you need to not fall out with anybody on such a short placement.

I would not take the ribbing to heart but I would pay attention to the feedback you are getting , it all seems to stem from your performance not being good enough , in particular on days when they are busy .While this guy’s method of feedback stinks there is probably a point in there somewhere.

Kitchens can be tough places but I would wait until you are through this piece before having a long think about whether or not this is the right career for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

Whilst I would disagree that it might stem from your performance, I do agree that the best thing to do is crack on with it and get through it. Those weeks although seem a long way away, will fly by if you're kept busy.

You'll find in life there will be characters you will get along with great, and others not so great, that's just part and parcel of life. It might seem especially personal to you but whenever you feel like you're about to burst, go splash some cold water on your face and count how many days left you have, go back to work and knuckle down and get on with it. Think of it as character building.

I remember one time when I was a wee nipper, I started work in a company and I got along with everybody except this one guy who was a team manager, who seemed to just nitpick at everything, and every opportunity he had he would have a sly dig at me, try and embarrass me and make me feel tiny. It worked for a few weeks until I started giving him back worse than I got. I remember going home pissed off most nights and complaining to my parents.
    A few weeks later we both got on very well and everything was rosy. A good number of months after that when I had settled, we both admitted to each other that we didn't like each other when we first met, but both agreed as time got on we got to know each other a little better and eventually came to become quite fond.

My advice as well as the above, would be to not take offence, think on your feet and knock him back with something wittier, and give it some time. For all you know some of the things you have said to him might have offended him too.

You'll be fine. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

have a word with the head chef. it's his kitchen and he won't want James harassing another chef esp if it puts you off work and will effect the end product for which the head chef will be judged.

tell head chef you find it hard to work and concentrate with james on your case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement