Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm not accepting commands

Options
  • 02-11-2015 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi,

Since a recent power cut my alarm is now not accepting commands, like quick set, part set etc. It does still though arm through inputting the code.

Can anyone help with this please?

Homeguard, Scopetronic panel.
    I do not have any engineer codes or experience with this.

Chris.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would try power down the system completely and power back up.
    Failing that it would need to be reprogrammed.
    It's an old system, so it's also possible that there is a problem with the panel itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

Thanks KK,

How would I go about that? Will I need eng. codes?
    Something i recall, when the power went down an alarm bell (thought it was the neighbours, but now i think it could have been mine) began to ring and slowly faded like it was loosing power. Could this have been my backup/battery supply on it's last legs? How would I go about changing it, is there an order about doing this?

Chris.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

To power down turn off the mains power and disconnect the battery. Wait 2 minutes and power back up. You will only need the engineer code if you want to change any of the programming. Unfortunately we are no longer allowed help you with engineer codes here.
    Also check the battery if you have a multimeter.

Koolkid,

I'm extremely grateful for your input and will try as described.
    I'd rather just replace the battery, no multimeter and wouldn't know how to use it.
    Any idea of the battery that will be installed? I'd ideally like to get one before I go home to attend to it.

I'll let you know how i get on later.

Chris.

The battery will be 12 volt DC 7amp rechargeable.

• Advertisement

So I see there is a guy flogging these on Adverts. I'm in town and he's in santry. Do you think he could arrange for delivery or suitable collection?

He could as long as he's psa licenced.
    There still may be a fault with the panel itself though.

sorry didn't mean to be secretive about it. Koolkid on adverts, is this not you?

Lol.
    I can get you a battery,but I would not be 100% that is the problem.
    I'll happily give you a loan of one and a loan of a meter if you want to try it out.
    Where are you located?

thanks for that i really appreciate your offers.
    I will just go and get a battery I'd be confident enough that is the issue.
    I'm located in town and am looking to see where i can purchase one around capel street area, any ideas where i might pick one up?
    I have neighbour who can help out with multimeter if it becomes an issue.

Sorry i'm equally ok with buying one from you.

• Advertisement

If you disconnect the battery does the commands work?
    If not the battery is unlikely to fix the problem.

I haven't tried that nor can i until this afternoon.

Do I disconnect the battery with the ac power on? Or do I ac power off - disconnect battery - power on and test?

In any case will the battery not need to be replaced?

I really appreciate your input.

Disconnect the battery and the panel should operate correctly on mains power.
    There is no point in changing the battery yet. This could also be a problem with the panel itself.

ok i'll update later

Ok, opened panel. A lot of chemical growth around the battery connections. One completely eaten through. Removed battery powered down for 2 mins and powered up. Same scenario, I can do a full set of the alarm though. Any ideas from here?

So it sets ok and disarms ok when you enter your code but the short codes 0#4,0#5 & 0#7 show no response?
    Are you getting a confirmation beep or click when pressing the #key?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

ftlnn wrote: »
    So I see there is a guy flogging these on Adverts. I'm in town and he's in santry. Do you think he could arrange for delivery or suitable collection?

You dont need a PSA license to sell a battery for an alarm system, just to install it you do.

There is also a suppliers list here that would have that battery in stock for cheaper than the price quoted on adverts ;)

altor wrote: »

There is also a suppliers list here that would have that battery in stock for cheaper than the price quoted on adverts ;)

Incl delivery? :)

KoolKid wrote: »
    Incl delivery? :)

I can have it sent by post from wholesalers to anywhere in Ireland for cheaper, so yes it can being done with out stepping outside my door.

I'll start posting my deliveries so.
    Thanks for the tip. :):)

• Advertisement

I'll start posting my deliveries so.
    Thanks for the tip. :):)

Not worth the hassle selling a battery for that price.

People used to say the same about Ryanair flights . It's all about value for the customer.

People used to say the same about Ryanair flights . It's all about value for the customer.

Yeah, still cheaper to have it sent from the wholesalers so I agree on the value for customer point with regards this.

Everyone saves.
    I save on delivery & the customer saves a few quid. :D
    Thanks again for the tips.;)

Everyone saves.
    I save on delivery & the customer saves a few quid. :D
    Thanks again for the tips.;)

Your employer saves on the fuel used to deliver the batteries too, every ones a winner really :D

I do my deliveries with my own vehicles & my own fuel.
    My savings.;)
    Cheers

Mod Edit. I understand that you posted this as a joke but it was not taken as such.

I'm closing this thread now as it has a number of potential issues wrt house rules .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement