Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eir(com) d1000 modem automatically rebranded!

Options
  • 02-11-2015 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

I had to log on to my eircom / eir router just now and the branding has changed (eircom -> eir) along with the theme. Does this mean eir has flashed a new firmware without my intervention or permission?
    The URL of the logo is the internal IP address of the router, I could understand if it was remotely hosted.
    Just worried about the security aspect, if eircom can do it, then anyone could. A hard coded login and password has already been found that can be used if remote access is allowed, which I don't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you've had the D1000 for two years or more then they've updated the firmware 3-4 times previously, this is just the first time you've noticed as the UI changed. They push configs/fw out over TR069, most big ISPs have a "Remote Device Management System".

The server is hardcoded into the firmware and use a key pair to authenticate itself so it won't accept commands from anyone but eircom. If you dont like this you can flash a generic P660HNU firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Thanks, makes sense now, should have figured that out if I stopped to think about it instead of jumping straight onto boards. I was thinking of debranding it, but I'd probably brick it. I'll probably getting a better router soon anyway anyway, I want to mess around with open wrt, tomato or the ilk

Advertisement