Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New CCTV and Gate automation installation - questions.

Options
  • 02-11-2015 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I’m in the quotation stages for getting gate automation and CCTV installation and I have a few questions.

I’m in Donegal. I had 2 quotes so far, one from a Donegal company, the other by a crowd from the North. The Northern quote was slightly higher, but included a 3MP camera system compared to the Donegal installer’s 2MP. Might not be a massive quality difference but it was only about an extra €150 for the NI guy.

The downside is I just happened to check with the NI guy and he told me that he is not registered to carry out CCTV installation in Ireland. Which means that it is illegal for him to charge me for the job and illegal for me to employ him!

That bumps me back to the Donegal installer. He is quoting for a 2TB recorder with SmartWatch 2 M’pixel 1080P HD-TVI varifocal Vandal resistant Infra red dome cameras. Any thoughts on that system with regards to quality? I can’t find much via the internet regarding reviews etc or even footage to show the quality.

I'm looking to have the official installer put in an 8 channel recorder and 4 dome cameras. However I would also like to add one or 2 wireless cameras myself in the future. Not for any real home security reasons, but merely for stuff like watching the dog run.

Next issue is the intercom type for the gates. 3 options are wired, wireless and GSM. Wired isn’t really an option due to location and ease of getting cables to the gate. Irish installer says that wireless systems are unreliable and always end up giving problems in the long term. Which leaves me with the GSM option.

NI installer says that GSM system will have an ongoing cost of maybe £20 a year since the system uses a sim card to contact you when someone rings the buzzer. Irish installer says that there is no ongoing cost, just the extra price to install it. Which one is talking nonsense?

I'm also considering getting my house alarm monitored. What kind of costs are involved with that?

Thanks for any advice and/or info.

Comments

Advertisement