Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will living off one wage look ok for banks when applying for mortgage

Options
  • 02-11-2015 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

In an attempt to save more and try to live a more frugal life, my husband an I are thinking of living solely off his wage and leaving my salary untouched in my account, well except for a couple of small direct debits.

When we apply for a mortgage in a few months time, would the bank be ok with this do you think? Or would they rather see us saving/spending separately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

In an attempt to save more and try to live a more frugal life, my husband an I are thinking of living solely off his wage and leaving my salary untouched in my account, well except for a couple of small direct debits.

When we apply for a mortgage in a few months time, would the bank be ok with this do you think? Or would they rather see us saving/spending separately?

As long as you are saving in excess of what the mortgage would cost, meet the deposit and earning requirements, it's not inherently important which person is saving what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I think it's ok if you're married & doing that so should be fine but might be worth a quick check with a couple of banks. I know it's a little different as I'm not married but I was told by a two banks I contacted previously that they wanted to see a history of saving from both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Do you mean leaving it in your current account or transferring most to a savings account?

I think it would look better if you leave enough in your current account for the direct debits and transfer the rest to a savings account

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

matrim wrote: »
    Do you mean leaving it in your current account or transferring most to a savings account?

I think it would look better if you leave enough in your current account for the direct debits and transfer the rest to a savings account

This is what I would do, probably not safe to leave a large amount of money in your current account anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Thanks everyone.

I'd only need about 10% of my salary to cover direct debits. I could then either leave the rest in the current account, or I could move it to my savings account.

I may need to use some of my salary to buy some Christmas presents but that's about it. If we really put our minds to it we could live on the one salary for 6 months or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There,s an article in the sunday times about this,home section.
    the bank look at your joint income,
    plus say loan is 150k,they work out
    could you pay loan if rates rise by 2per cent ,from the current interest rate .
    And you need to have x per cent of the house value saved too.
    i think the current rate is 3.5 per cent approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

I know when we were applying they said to us that they preferred to see savings in an account separate to our current account but im not sure if every bank feel the same

If for no other reason but security I'd be moving the savings to another account. Current accounts are being emptied by all sorts of fraud regularly now. I wouldn't like to have months of savings sitting in one unless you don't use your debit card at all.

Advertisement