Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference in speedtest iPhone vs iPad

• 02-11-2015 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

Both devices are on my Airport Extreme WiFi network. I just noticed that the Ookla download results on the iPhone have crashed. My iMac and iPad both give 4.3Mbps down, the iPhone is giving 0.65.
    I turned it off/on with no change.
    My emobile 3G is better than the landline, that gives 5.7Mbps on the iPhone.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Not enough info given. Is your airport extreme the latest model with 802.11ac wifi? if so what mac and what iPad/iphone? The iPhone 6 supports 802.11ac which is much faster, would have to check which iPad/mac is capable.
    Edit/ reading those speeds again, all devices should be capable of that regardless of A/B/G/N/AC band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

OK, thanks. The Airport Extreme is 1 year old, latest spec. The iPad is a "new generation" 3 years old. The iPhone is a 4S 2 years old. Both are on iOS 9.1.

Update. I've tried 2 things: 20 minutes in the freezer and restore to factory settings + restore from backup. No change, the iPhone is still downloading at 10% of the speed of its older sibling the iPad. Funnily enough the upload speed is basically the maximum I get from the landline.

Further update. Contacted Apple Support who had me restore to factory settings and then re-run the speedtest. They agreed it is defective and started to tell me I'd have to pay for the repair as I have had it for 26 months.
    I politely mentioned Irish consumer protection and was put through to a senior person who proceeded to arrange a replacement.
    Always buy direct from Apple!

Advertisement