Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audax Rides

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I entertained the thought, but didn't want to withdraw for a third time in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

So, having missed the Geimhridh 200 on 1st Dec, I finally set out on 31st
    Dec to ride the Kingsmountain. Lovely day, helpful wind and mild
    temperatures made for a pretty comfortable ride. Set out at 07:25 and got
    back at 18:37.

That's month 5 of rrty complete and the last ride of the year. I really
    should have headed out this morning for another one to get January out of
    the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Well done! Are you doing the Temporary Fever Hospital on Saturday? I'll be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Well done! Are you doing the Temporary Fever Hospital on Saturday? I'll be there.
    I applied mid December but haven't heard anything yet. Has anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Tempted to do the 24hr this year

• Advertisement

Euro Fred wrote: »
    Tempted to do the 24hr this year

Go for it! I did it last year, happy enough with a mid-table performance. It doesn't matter what bike you do it on, just do it.

Temporary Fever Hospital 200km in the bag. That was my first time riding that route. I'd know most of the roads from other Audax rides. That can be dodgy because you find yourself trying to ride the familiar route and then find you're off course. Cold and dry for a change, not much sunshine. 244km for the day including riding to and from the start/finish.

Nice to meet Wishbone Ash again.
    https://strava.app.link/rtVNezb5eT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Out well before the dawn to test ride a new South Tipperary permanent with a slightly different theme; had to abort with front tyre trouble.

Booted it but didn't fancy my chances of giving directions to some mid Tipp boreen if I passed point of no return.

Jesus that area of land north of Knockmealdowns but south of M8 is a magical place to ride a bike; a labyrinth of lanes, Knockmealdowns, Comeraghs, Galtees or Slievenamon always in view and hardly a car in sight.

Hopefully will get in done Thursday

I applied mid December but haven't heard anything yet. Has anyone else?
    Just realised why I didn't hear anything - I posted my application to the wrong address.(Ronnie was not impressed!)

In my defence, I sent it the name/address which appears in the downloaded form available on the Audax Ireland website (Mr AV)

I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question but how does an applicant find out the address of the organiser of a particular event when the forms only give one address?

I know the organiser of The King's Mountain but don't know where to send my application. :confused:

I don't recall having this problem in the past.

Send entry forms by email should work.

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Send entry forms by email should work.
    Awkward with a Postal Order.

(I know, I know....but I'm old school. Don't like Paypal!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The address shown on the standard entry form is only for sending entry fees ( cheque, postal orders).
    The entry form itself is to be sent to the organiser, who's address will be on the relevant event page
    e.g. https://www.audaxireland.org/events-calendar/gazetteer/200km-events/kings-mountain-200/

The entry form itself can be emailed to the organiser and the fee sent by post, if that's most convenient for you.

The change was made a couple of years ago as you had a situation where some fees being sent to the treasurer and some to the organiser, in PayPal, cheque, P.O. and cash. This was becoming a PITA to verify if fees had been received when doing the event accounts. Now all fees go to a central point and the organisers are notified when they are received.

... Now all fees go to a central point and the organisers are notified when they are received.
    Ah!, now it makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I feel a rant coming on regarding the efficiency of the audax entry system, but I won't say anything in case I offend someone ;) ( mf1200 and ck1000 excluded )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Hardly? It's pretty efficient, for an amateur club setup. If you keep one entry form on your computer, and just update it for each race, and you have a paypal account, it's about 3 minutes to enter. That's not much trouble for a full day of pain and suffering (sorry..enjoyment)!

brownian wrote: »
    Hardly? It's pretty efficient, for an amateur club setup. If you keep one entry form on your computer, and just update it for each race, and you have a paypal account, it's about 3 minutes to enter. That's not much trouble for a full day of pain and suffering (sorry..enjoyment)!

It's a paper-based system but it's more from the back end of things that the problems are. I think you should be able to fully enter from your phone if you wish. The tools are available and are not expensive to implement. The Mf1200 last year was a case in point. From the organisers POV its much more efficient and saves valuable time.

Any online system for audax has to be suitable and cost effective both for the (relatively) larger events like the MF, CK and WAWA but also cover a single €5 Permanent entry. Plus it would have to be the only method to enter. If you move to such a system but still facilitate paper entries and payment by cheque and PO, you've lost.

Audax UK have their own website that allows online entry, records results and AS points. However they recently have had to spend £150,000 uprating it. It's not going down too well with the membership

Disagree. A full digital entry system can accommodate a handful of manual entries. Its no trouble on large events. There were about 4 on the MF1200 out of 75/80 online entries and the feedback from the organiser was positive. In terms of scale, it could have comfortably handled 1000 + entries simultaneously, so no trouble there either. You mention the unit cost but spread out over a yearly total of 1200 club event entries it would be less than a euro.

150000? I would have raised an eyebrow at 15000. I took a good look at AUK before I built the website and entry system for the MF1200, theres nothing there that can't be done at a fraction of the price - including calculating points and RRTY etc. The site is old and I'd imagine there are a few nests being well feathered with those kind of maintenance prices.

The cost of this tech has come down dramatically in recent years. Good news for organisations that want to be free of time consuming bureaucracy .....bad news for overpriced developers.

OleRodrigo wrote: »

150000? I would have raised an eyebrow at 15000. I took a good look at AUK before I built the website and entry system for the MF1200, theres nothing there that can't be done at a fraction of the price - including calculating points and RRTY etc. The site is old and I'd imagine there are a few nests being well feathered with those kind of maintenance prices.

The cost of this tech has come down dramatically in recent years. Good news for organisations that want to be free of time consuming bureaucracy .....bad news for overpriced developers.

Some light reading on the AUK issue and the £150-200k bill.
    https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109207.0

I'm not disagreeing that online entries will make life easier for the organiser and rider. It's just as an organiser, there are probably a couple of other IT-related items higher on the "making my life easier" list. But that's a discussion for another time and place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭py

Some light reading on the AUK issue and the £150-200k bill.
    https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=109207.0

I'm not disagreeing that online entries will make life easier for the organiser and rider. It's just as an organiser, there are probably a couple of other IT-related items higher on the "making my life easier" list. But that's a discussion for another time and place.

I've just read some of that... it's quite shocking that they've agreed to have it developed at that cost but there's also the huge maintenance fees of £27,000/year. Madness. AUK board need to walk or be put in front of a firing squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

PBP anyone... who's, planning to, travel?

Planning to. Gotta wait until 25th Feb to pre-register 'cos I haven't anything longer than a 300 completed last year...

Expressions of interest currently being taken for the WAWA 2020

https://www.wawaudax.com/contact.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Expressions of interest currently being taken for the WAWA 2020

https://www.wawaudax.com/contact.html

Holy moly, that looks incredible and at the same time ...janey mac.

buffalo wrote: »
    Holy moly, that looks incredible and at the same time ...janey mac.

Yeap....its a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

I completed the inaugural ‘Gimme Shelter’ 200 Audax on Saturday, starting and finishing in Midleton.
    I accompanied the organiser last month for a trial run, so I knew what to expect.
    A drizzly and foggy start to the day, but it turned into a beautiful spring afternoon with dry roads and very little wind to contend with.

A really decent turnout for what is a brilliant route comprising of traffic free backroads and boreens.
    I know the organiser well, if the road doesn’t have grass growing up the middle of it he doesn’t want to know :pac:

Great to catch up with some old friends along the route and I was happy to finish under 8 hours with an average of 25.4 km/hr.

As I was putting the bike in the car at the end of the ride I could hear in the distance the sounds of Mick Jagger and the boys.

‘The floods is threatening
    My very life today
    Gimme, gimme shelter
    Or I’m gonna fade away’

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭paul a newman

Entered PBP last night, 90 hr group leaving at 20.15, CDaly is leaving at 20.30, hope all the other Irish that have pre qualifiers done can get in. All we need to do now is an SR series !

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

Entered PBP last night, 90 hr group leaving at 20.15, CDaly is leaving at 20.30, hope all the other Irish that have pre qualifiers done can get in. All we need to do now is an SR series !

I'll be hovering up your breadcrumbs from the 20:45 group.......

Also in the 20:15 group

• Advertisement

As I was putting the bike in the car at the end of the ride I could hear in the distance the sounds of Mick Jagger and the boys.

Yeah. I really need to do something about the loutish audax element and their car stereos...

Advertisement