Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audax Rides

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭py

Entered PBP last night, 90 hr group leaving at 20.15, CDaly is leaving at 20.30, hope all the other Irish that have pre qualifiers done can get in. All we need to do now is an SR series !
    Lewotsil wrote: »
    I'll be hovering up your breadcrumbs from the 20:45 group.......
    OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Also in the 20:15 group

I vaguely recall something about getting to pick/choose your time group if you've done a 1000/1200 the year prior, any advantage to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭paul a newman

Certainly is an advantage, but entries for that was back in January, you'll still get in tho, go to the PBP website and register

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I only rode a 600 last year and there were plenty of spots. I'm in the last 84 hour group off on the Monday morning at 05:30 so I won't see any of you until Brest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭py

Certainly is an advantage, but entries for that was back in January, you'll still get in tho, go to the PBP website and register

Thanks for the info. Not doing it this time around but the plan is to be there for 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I only rode a 600 last year and there were plenty of spots. I'm in the last 84 hour group off on the Monday morning at 05:30 so I won't see any of you until Brest.

Such modesty. Wasn't that a 600 with 10,000m straight up, that's as high as an airplane goes!..

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Such modesty. Wasn't that a 600 with 10,000m straight up, that's as high as an airplane goes!..

That was a different 600! The only one that counted for PBP was the easier National 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

New to cycling, so please bear with me... After going thru the list at https://www.audaxireland.org, I understand some rides are classified as 'permanents' - meaning someone interested in doing can pick a date, contact audax ireland, pay a small amount, get route / sheet and do it on their own. Which makes me wonder, why are there no permanent audax routes between what often comes across as 'popular' rides like Dublin-Galway or Galway-Dublin, or Mizen Head to Malin Head etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

positron wrote: »
    ... Which makes me wonder, why are there no permanent audax routes between what often comes across as 'popular' rides like Dublin-Galway or Galway-Dublin, or Mizen Head to Malin Head etc?
    Audax is not just long distance, it's more about being able to follow what is often a very indirect route where you're off the beaten track as such. You're unlikely to be on a boreen with grass up the centre when cycling from Dublin to Galway or M2M.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

First non-sorrento audax tomorrow with the Orwell 200...

Forecast looking ropey, so debating better bike or the commuter with wider tyres and full mudguards and rack? Pace v comfort?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

Macy0161 wrote:
    Forecast looking ropey, so debating better bike or the commuter with wider tyres and full mudguards and rack? Pace v comfort?

Definitely comfort and full mudgaurds with that forecast .... try stick with group for first hundred and then u shud get tailwi d for much of remainder.

Watch the road grills in and out of curragh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Surely it's wandering sheep you need to watch out for at curragh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Weepsie wrote: »
    Surely it's wandering sheep you need to watch out for at curragh?

Only occasionally but the lazy gates/grids take out a couple of riders every year and you can get a very dirty fall off them

Macy0161 wrote: »

My club colleague has pulled out because of the forecast. I'll be there though. :)

Lewotsil wrote: »
    ... and then u shud get tailwind for much of remainder....
    Wind coming from the south until around midday and then from the east so it may be a bit of a slog home.

My club colleague has pulled out because of the forecast. I'll be there though.
    Tempted to come up with an excuse myself, but have the bike prepped now!

The Mick Byrne and Dying Cow were home-ish roads, so this is the first one where I'll be fecked if I have to bail for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I did some training with folks doing this but ended up not signing up. Very glad now.

uipWbBF.png
    tumblr_lyrozjfxtP1qgmge6o1_250.gif

Macy0161 wrote: »

Mudguards for sure, if you want to keep riding in the bunch.

If you can't stay dry, stay warm. Bring a breathable waterproof jacket. If you can fit a spare pair of gloves somewhere, your hands will thank you. The route is not technical but most of the climbing is at the end.

Well might be on the wimp list afterall. I've been deteriorating faster than the weather forecast, and feel quite sick now and can't get warm. Everything packed and organised, but will see how I get through the night and how I feel in the morning. It doesn't seem the conditions to chance it though.

Heavy heavy snowfall and sleet scuppered a few brave souls. Nasty conditions altogether.

Well I didn't make it as was sick all night, and in bed all day. Nearest I got to the bike was unloading it and binning the food I prepped last night. Next up the Orwell 300 for me.

• Advertisement

I wimped out at 157k - I couldn't take any more suffering. Soaked to the skin and shivering uncontrollably for several hours. The snow was the last straw. Serious kudos to those who ploughed on. One of the worst days (weather wise) that I've had in the saddle. :(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Finished it but definitely my worst day on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Also MASSIVE thank you to the staff of Joe Daly who expertly nursed a few very shook finishers back to health

Several riders on today's 200 in shorts, finger-less gloves and no overshoes. :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

I wimped out at 157k - I couldn't take any more suffering. Soaked to the skin and shivering uncontrollably for several hours. The snow was the last straw. Serious kudos to those who ploughed on. One of the worst days (weather wise) that I've had in the saddle. :(:o

Wouldn't call it "wimped out" WA, plenty of abandoned races today , absolutely horrendous conditions and serious chance of hypothermia which could have resulted in serious accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭devonp

DNF on the Orwell 200, similar to WA above

puncture did for me, 30 mins to change tube in the heavy snow with freezing hands atop Steelstown/Oldmill Mur , couldn't stop shivering afterwards even after 1/2 hr in Subway Rathcoole

cheers to Dennis from Orwell for the lift back to Ballinteer to the car

i won't forget this one in a hurry..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

devonp wrote:
    puncture did for me, 30 mins to change tube in the heavy snow with freezing hands atop Steelstown/Oldmill Mur , couldn't stop shivering afterwards even after 1/2 hr in Subway Rathcoole

I was helping at finish........hardship and suffering clearly visible on those that finished..... and from the bikes too !

Well done to all who rode today - im sure it will be a good ref. Point in future

19 finishers,
    37 DNF,
    42 DNS,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Doc07

ED E wrote: »
    19 finishers,
    37 DNF,
    42 DNS,

And a heroic lady from our club was one of the 19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Some pretty epic rides going on in the West the last two weeks, well done organisors and audaxers alike 💪💪

Advertisement