Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audax Rides

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

you were the second entry PX

What????
    For the KM?
    Couldn't be....just posted it this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭paul a newman

received one on the net P X, so your's will be the second. Anticipating 60/70 entries this year, slight route changes have been made to keep us off main roads, all will be revealed post xmass

Time limit for a 300, 400 and 600?
    For example the National 600.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

20 hrs, 27 hrs & 40 hrs respectively

A super 600 has 50 hrs afaik.

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    20 hrs, 27 hrs & 40 hrs respectively

A super 600 has 50 hrs afaik.

......and a Super is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Planet X wrote: »
    ......and a Super is?

A 600 with 10000 m of climbing. On the cards but nothing concrete yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Does anyone know any more about the mtb audax in Mayo? How much is off road, or off decent forestry roads etc? I'd love to try it, but worried I'd timeout if it was too technical/rough surface.

Eamon Neilan is the organiser, you'll get his no from audaxireland.org, its supposed to be a great route, but I'd imagine it will be windy ! I did his 400k two yrs ago, and the first 189k of it was into a headwind

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Does anyone know any more about the mtb audax in Mayo? How much is off road, or off decent forestry roads etc? I'd love to try it, but worried I'd timeout if it was too technical/rough surface.

I emailed Eamon; he says the route has to be updated but that
    'it should cater 50% off road , forest trails , muck and the occasional throw your bike over a gate or 2along the way , and of course some walking when the muck stops ya turning '

Sounds cool, something to aim towards for me I think

Going to sign up for the Orwelll 200 on March 5th , anyone from here planning the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm18 wrote: »
    Going to sign up for the Orwelll 200 on March 6th , anyone from here planning the same?
    That's last year's event on the Audax website( but presumably on March 5th this year??)

That's last year's event on the Audax website( but presumably on March 5th this year??)

Ah yes, March 5th!

Anyone do the KM yesterday?
    How bad was the return leg into the wind?
    I paid up but chickened out. Bike ready, flapjacks made, bottles filled.
    Looked bad yesterday afternoon.

23 did it, first back were in at approx 4.30 pm, last 2 were in at 8pm. Tail wind for 80k, most got to 2nd control at Ryefield stores in good time, then it got wet and windy, but not too bad, it's winter cycling so most were well prepared, with goretex jackets, overshoes and good gloves and headwear. From an organisers point of view, it was good to see that everyone had good quality lights and reflectivewear. We'll see you soon PX

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Good event as always yesterday - some route changes from previous years around Oldcastle and was lucky to spot some others at new control at Munterconnacht as had thought Ballivor and Kells were only controls.

No denying the coldness (a maximum of 4c for the day by my reckoning) but only became a factor once the rain started in run in past Curragha. Met some seasoned audaxers on the road for the first time which was great and huge kudos to Paul and Aidan as always for organising a great event

We are probably going to stick with that route for future KMs as we deem it safer, with less main roads, and feedback for the new route has generally been positive so far. It's also a nicer route in spring/summer when the weather is better!

Well done Paul & Aidan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

I know someone who did it yesterday, just over 10 hours, I'd say it was a miserable unjoyable day out on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

colm18 wrote: »
    Going to sign up for the Orwelll 200 on March 5th , anyone from here planning the same?

Could be tempted. It's on the Sunday right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

23 did it, first back were in at approx 4.30 pm, last 2 were in at 8pm. Tail wind for 80k, most got to 2nd control at Ryefield stores in good time, then it got wet and windy, but not too bad, it's winter cycling so most were well prepared, with goretex jackets, overshoes and good gloves and headwear. From an organisers point of view, it was good to see that everyone had good quality lights and reflectivewear. We'll see you soon PX

They knew what they'd get if they didn't have them "For fcuks sake lads did any of ye read the emails"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

P_1 wrote: »
    Could be tempted. It's on the Sunday right?

Sure is. Good way to earn a few extra roast spuds with your dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

It wasn't great on the way back to Dublin alright. Not a great day with the legs for me. I'm going to retitle The Weeknd's track "I can't feel my face when I'm with you", to " I can't feel my face, hands and feet". 229km for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

It wasn't great on the way back to Dublin alright. Not a great day with the legs for me. I'm going to retitle The Weeknd's track "I can't feel my face when I'm with you", to " I can't feel my face, hands and feet". 229km for the day

Fair play to you. Like PX I baulked ..... was looking out at the wind at 7.00am and thought I don't have enough in my legs if its like that on the way home. Tks for confirming going back to bed was a good decision !

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

Came across this about the Birr 200, on a different thread, are speeds like this typical for Audax events ?I was was always under the impression that they were more like a long distance amble around back roads !

""Headed for Birr today for the 200 km Audax. Was an interesting tough day but it was good to have a big turn out so we could suffer together. Weather was mixed but we managed to get around all the same. It's the toughest spin I've down since I started cycling.

205km, 29.4 km/h, 879m

https://www.strava.com/activities/472639826"

blueballfc wrote: »
    Came across this about the Birr 200, on a different thread, are speeds like this typical for Audax events ?I was was always under the impression that they were more like a long distance amble around back roads !

""Headed for Birr today for the 200 km Audax. Was an interesting tough day but it was good to have a big turn out so we could suffer together. Weather was mixed but we managed to get around all the same. It's the toughest spin I've down since I started cycling.

205km, 29.4 km/h, 879m

https://www.strava.com/activities/472639826"

On flat events with big numbers you will get that, Orwell is the same.

On Midelton the organiser used to split up field in 10 min slots between 7 -8 which meant a group of 60 riders werent TTing around.

On nearly ever event you will have a huge spread on times. Last year on Priest's Leap 300 first rider was in at 8, last just before 2am cut off.

On audax you finish or you don't. There is no winning.

On Midelton in 2015 we would have hit Clonmel before control opened only for a puncture. The tailwind was massive. The headwind from 100km home made sure controls were well open after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭py

I've seen some quicker times posted for the Orwell 200 which has me somewhat alarmed as this year's version will be my first audax.

strava.com/ segments/ 11520120 (new poster so links won't work till I post more)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

I would say those speeds are on the exceptional side although the Birr 200 is one of the flattest (if not the flattest) in the Audax calendar. In my experience 22-28 kmph would cover the majority of riders - anything between 7h15m and 9h30m rolling for a 200 like that would be more atypical imo

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

The Orwell 200 is an outlier of sorts from an average speed perspective - massive groups can meant you get sucked along - I think last year there was a core group of 30-40 riders - well over 60 entries etc.......plus the route is pan flat bar the last 40k or so....navigation is simple ........all combines to an 'easier' or faster event.

A group of 3 did riders did ride Midelton 200 with well over 2000m climbing at almost 30km/h in 2013. That is as savage as it is rare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

I would say those speeds are on the exceptional side although the Birr 200 is one of the flattest (if not the flattest) in the Audax calendar. In my experience 22-28 kmph would cover the majority of riders - anything between 7h15m and 9h30m rolling for a 200 like that would be more atypical imo

Thanks still tough flat or not 29 kmph over 200 is a fair speed, I averaged 26 kmph over 160 in the tour of meath last year and that was a bit of a stretch. My fear would be that with small numbers you would spend the entire day our on your todd, a few hours fair enough but not sure I would be on for the full day.

Advertisement