Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audax Rides

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

A fast 200 is more a sportive than audax experience. The spirit of self reliance also extends, IMHO, to being able to tough out an event by yourself. Its nice to have company along the way, but you cant rely on it, and have to be able to get around by yourself if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

haha - cue hanging around for the control to open !  I did the first 90k of the Celtic Knot in 3 hours (I was sucking the wheels off the Navan Road RAI boys !!.........normal speeds(rolling 24/25kph) resumed thereafter !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

ford2600 wrote: »
    Last year on Priest's Leap 300 first rider was in at 8, last just before 2am cut off.

That was me!

Not the first... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

I'm out on Saturday for the Birr 200. Expecting to do it around 20 to 22kph. 10 hours if it's a good day for me, 12 if not. Not very fit at the moment, but even when I am, im only a couple of kph faster.
    I've been last home on every audax i've done so far, but have never ridden the whole day on my own on any of them except one and even then met others at controls. You meet people at different points of the day. Faster rider often spend longer at controls to eat, chat etc and I catch up and spend very little time at them and eat on the bike.
    They are good days out, with a chance to see a different part of the country than you normally ride, and routes for the most part avoid busy roads, so very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ford2600 wrote: »
    A group of 3 did riders did ride Midelton 200 with well over 2000m climbing at almost 30km/h in 2013. That is as savage as it is rare
    I recall seeing someone on Strava average 31km/h on the WW200 last year which has more climbing (although no orienteering or controls delays I suppose).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

darkvalley wrote: »
    I'm out on Saturday for the Birr 200. Expecting to do it around 20 to 22kph. 10 hours if it's a good day for me, 12 if not. Not very fit at the moment, but even when I am, im only a couple of kph faster.
    I've been last home on every audax i've done so far, but have never ridden the whole day on my own on any of them except one and even then met others at controls. You meet people at different points of the day. Faster rider often spend longer at controls to eat, chat etc and I catch up and spend very little time at them and eat on the bike.
    They are good days out, with a chance to see a different part of the country than you normally ride, and routes for the most part avoid busy roads, so very enjoyable.

I might be behind you :) is it not Sunday tough?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

Indeed it is. I'm not sure if I'm glad that I checked in here now, as if I didn't I'd have gone down a day early, but at least I would have been the first home on this audax!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭py

Got my first audax (Orwell 200) in a few weeks and was looking through the rules on the audax Ireland website.
    3. For night riding front and back lights are mandatory. Riders must also wear a reflective vest, Sam Browne, sash or similar. This applies to ALL events of 300kms or more, at any time of year.

Do they recommend any particular lumens for front/back?

For the Orwell 200, it looks like it's going to be bright from the off at 7am, will I still need high viz?
    4. Each rider must be self-sufficient – following vehicles are prohibited and personal support may only be received at controls.

This is self explanatory but was looking to find out what sort of fuel people bring with them on audax. I read somewhere on the site that they recommend having gels as a backup but I'd typically use these as primary source of fuel on Sportives with addition of bananas and cereal bars.

In addition to the type of fuel, are people using handlebar or frame bags to carry it? Does anyone use a camelbak reservoir (or similar)? I'd typically start off with 750ml*2 on the bike for a long-ish spin.
    5. At the start of the ride, each rider will receive a brevet card and a routesheet. Riders must follow the route and should return to the point where they left it before continuing if they deviate from it. There may be secret controls along the route.

6. Riders must get their brevet cards stamped and/or signed at each control along the route. At controls which are not manned by the organiser, proof of passage can be obtained from a local establishment (e.g. shop receipt with place, date and time), or demonstrated by answering a question about a local landmark (i.e. info controls).

8. At the finish, each rider must sign their brevet card and return it to the organiser for validation.

I've not had a brevet card on a Sportive so any information around this process would be great.
    Although it is not explicitly stated in that set of ACP rules, the opening of control points is determined by the maximum allowed average pace of 30km/h, and the closing of controls by the minimum average pace of 15km/h (lower for brevets longer than 600km e.g. 13.3km/h for a 1000km brevet.)

I've noticed on some of the flatter routes that average speed is ever so slightly above the 30Km/h limit, would you be waiting around at control points if you are above the upper limit?

In general, do people plod along solo or in groups?

If there are any other advice you can provide for a first timer, it would be most welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

py wrote: »
    Got my first audax (Orwell 200) in a few weeks and was looking through the rules on the audax Ireland website.

Do they recommend any particular lumens for front/back?

For the Orwell 200, it looks like it's going to be bright from the off at 7am, will I still need high viz?

This is self explanatory but was looking to find out what sort of fuel people bring with them on audax. I read somewhere on the site that they recommend having gels as a backup but I'd typically use these as primary source of fuel on Sportives with addition of bananas and cereal bars.

In addition to the type of fuel, are people using handlebar or frame bags to carry it? Does anyone use a camelbak reservoir (or similar)? I'd typically start off with 750ml*2 on the bike for a long-ish spin.

I've not had a brevet card on a Sportive so any information around this process would be great.

I've noticed on some of the flatter routes that average speed is ever so slightly above the 30Km/h limit, would you be waiting around at control points if you are above the upper limit?

In general, do people plod along solo or in groups?

If there are any other advice you can provide for a first timer, it would be most welcome.

Don't turn up with 2 euro lights from dealz.

The organizer will send you an email with requirements closer to date, see what he/she says about gear.

I wouldn't be changing your normal fueling strategy at his stage but in the medium to long term you might do well to move more towards real food especially for longer events.

People turn up with all types of bags etc. Personally I don't even have a saddle bag, spares in one bottle and water in the other. Other lads carry a lot, again whatever you are comfortable. In saying that I managed to carry
    *two tubes & levers
    * pump on frame
    * spare quick link & chain tool
    * tyre boot
    * cable ties

If you look at speed of fastest guys on Sunday, circa 32km/h they're audax speed was 27kmish. Clock doesn't stop on audax so controls isn't a problem once lads stop.
    Staggering times might be an idea on the flatter 200's.

You will get groups and solo riders on most Audaxs. Orwell strikes me as like a long flat sportive but I might be wrong.

Just enjoy it, a bad day on bike is better than a good day at work

Get a receipt at each control (effectively shop/café) and write type of arrival on brevet card. I've attached my control card for Antrim 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Route check of the Forgotten Roads 200 yesterday. Really interesting route with a nice mix of remote mountain roads and historic villages. For anyone taking part in the event next week, a few things worth noting:

No matter what the temperature at the start, you will not be cold after 20 minutes.

When the organiser says its not a route for your nice carbon wheels and 23mm racing tyres, he means it. Among the groups the Forgotten Roads have been forgotten by are the council road maintenance departments.

The flat section in the middle, isn't.

A tough day out but very enjoyable.

• Advertisement

When the organiser says its not a route for your nice carbon wheels and 23mm racing tyres, he means it. Among the groups the Forgotten Roads have been forgotten by are the council road maintenance departments.

The flat section in the middle, isn't.

A tough day out but very enjoyable.

Not an easy route, 2200m climbing but feels harder than Pink Elephant, Midleton and probably as hard as Inner Ring.

Including stops I typically get around 200's in 9hrs, it took over 10hrs on Friday.

With strong wheels and tyres they are rewarding enough roads.

Thanks to @Mefistofelino for all the assistance

Forgotten Roads 200 update

https://www.facebook.com/audaxireland/

http://www.audaxireland.org/

Route change at start owing to weather forecast of snow/sleet on high ground. New route files and route sheets emailed to entrants

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Anyone signed up for Orwell Sunday? Did it last year and found it great for getting a few kms into the legs. The weather forecast for Sunday has me in two minds this year tho....I know I know that's probably not how audax folk think ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I haven't signed up for the Orwell 200. The weather forecast looks typically grim alright. I did the King's Mountain in similar conditions a few weeks back and it wasn't too bad once you keep moving. You'll have a head wind for the first 80 km before turning south for Tullamore, then it'll be mostly tail wind for the way home. Find a group and work in and you'll be fine.

Anyone signed up for Orwell Sunday? Did it last year and found it great for getting a few kms into the legs. The weather forecast for Sunday has me in two minds this year tho....I know I know that's probably not how audax folk think ��

The forecast earlier in the week for Sunday didn't look too bad but having checked it today, it's looking a little wet. I'm still going to get out for it though, will be well wrapped up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Ah yeah twas grand last year with two groups for people to align with but the rain only started really around the Curragh so we were practically home at that stage.

Orwell 200 was on today and it was my first audax. Raining from the get go when I hit the road just after 6am. Given the cold and wet conditions I think there was a good chunk of DNS. A large enough group stuck together on the front till the first control at Leixlip (~25Km) and then it broke up a little. Pkenty of tea and sandwiches consumed at the 2nd control in Kilbeggan. We (2 of us did it together) made relatively good time up until the 3rd control in Monasterevin but the lumpy remaining 60Km proved to be a little much on the legs. (lumpy... far from hilly/mountainous). As soon as we get up over the last hill coming out of Saggart on to the N81, morale picked up and we made relatively good time back to Joe Daly's in Dundrum. There were some nice treats back on offer back at Joe's which were most welcome after a long day of cold and wet cycling. I'm really glad the wind held off today, that really would've just destroyed confidence/morale from the off.

I took a draw string bag with me and found it to be invaluable. Took some spare base layers and would be inclined to bring other lightweight clothing items in future.

Big thanks to the organiser and all volunteers at the controls. Delighted to finally get to an Audax Ireland. I should be back again next year for the same event and will look at the Audax Ireland calendar for other interesting events this year.

There was news that a woman had an unfortunate fall early on and was taken to hospital so wishing her a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭devonp

ok did my first Permanent Audax today, Dawn Raid starting in Maynooth (handy being close to Leixlip). was happy enough but struggled in the last 30Km probably a mental thing as i went through the official finish in Kilmessan and still had to get back to Maynooth for my finish, weather closed in earlier than i expected and got two thorough soakings 1. coming off the SG heading for Kilbride and 2. going into Summerhill. had a rush of blood to the head and took on TH as i was passing it (off the bucket list now) very windy and wet up there, think its a bit less demanding than Kippure
    met a big group from Nass CC on Lake drive(still hate it)on an Easter spin and chated to one guy-thanks for the words of encouragement and good luck in Rathdowney? racing on Sunday

so 225Km for the day in total incl the to and back bits

Any advice on stepping up to the 300Km mark? Considering the Midlands 300 (maybe as a permanent) and was looking for any advice. I've a Garmin 500 and I think it should survive the day though perhaps I'll sort a *special* cable to charge it.

I'll sort a *special* cable to charge it.

yes my Garmin 810 quit at 270Km on my only 300 to date , but that was prob a bit more hilly than the Mid300(and i took quite long breaks!!), will the supplied Garmin data/charging cable not work to charge on the go? if not what special cable do I need?
    cheers

• Advertisement

devonp wrote: »
    yes my Garmin 810 quit at 270Km on my only 300 to date , but that was prob a bit more hilly than the Mid300(and i took quite long breaks!!), will the supplied Garmin data/charging cable not work to charge on the go? if not what special cable do I need?
    cheers

I only discovered recently that such a cable existed. My understanding is that some Garmin Edge models don't allow you to charge whilst on the move using the cables provided. You've 2 options basically (1) something like a gomadic battery pack or (2) a "special" cable attached to another type of battery pack.

The Gomadic works well. Fill it up with duracell, make sure the Garmin is charged fully and you should be OK for up to 1000 km plus. Mine was still going strong on the same batteries on PBP, at 1030 km, when I inexplicably took off the battery pack at a control and mislaid it.

Also, there's the e-trex 30 which runs on aa batteries. Lots of Audax UK folks giving it the thumbs up. Good thread on it here. I'd agree that the longer the ride, the greater the potential for a PITA with Garmins.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=101734.0 .

@py, great article on stepping up to a 300 km.

http://www.audaxireland.org/the-saddlebag/stepping-up-to-300k/

... will the supplied Garmin data/charging cable not work to charge on the go? if not what special cable do I need?
    cheers
    The standard supplied cable will re-set the Garmin as it assumes you are uploading. You need a cable without any data pins (or whatever they are called) inside the part which slots into your Garmin.

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    ... there's the e-trex 30 which runs on aa batteries....
    I think one of the lads in my club has one. Does it allow a few seconds to change batteries? Must suss it out.

I think one of the lads in my club has one. Does it allow a few seconds to change batteries? Must suss it out.

Good question. I assume so, or probably it caches the ride and allows it to be continued after it starts with the new batteries.

In any case I assume its not an issue or it probably would have been flagged.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've an old hiking Garmin with basic maps that runs on AA batteries which I used before getting the 810. Seems to run forever on a couple of AAs, running out of memory was more an issue than running out of power. Much bigger and clunkier than the cycling units and took a bit of searching to get a handlebar mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Good question. I assume so, or probably it caches the ride and allows it to be continued after it starts with the new batteries.

In any case I assume its not an issue or it probably would have been flagged.

No problem swapping the batteries out mid-ride on an Etrex. You don't even need to power the unit off (perhaps you should, but you don't have to). New batteries in, turn the unit back on and off you go. Batteries will usually last up to 24 hours on a single spin but I've never run them beyond 18-20 hours - too afraid of them dying after 23 hours 55 minutes of an Easter Fleche!

However, the Etrex can be a royal PITA for setting routes due to a significant waypoint limitation, so I'm currently investigating keeping an 820 powered-up on the go using the dynamo as the advertised battery life is pants - it didn't even make it to 10 hours when navigating.

ok so i have an Edge 810 as stated above
    today i tried out two USB power packs, a lipstick type one black with dimples from Maplin and a heavier type from Lidl silvercrest. had two different cables the original Garmin one that came with the gps unit and a random longer cable i found in the "box of cables" we have lying around(think it was an old camera cable poss konica/minolta)

tried both power packs with both cables...all combinations good no cutting out or stopping of recording (see below)
    one thing was when i was disconnecting the power packs the Garmin came up with a powering off warning, a 15 sec. countdown which i just canceled by hitting the X
    i always made sure i had the cable connected to the powerpacks before connecting to the garmin...happy days

https://www.strava.com/activities/955324168

ok so i have an Edge 810 as stated above...

....one thing was when i was disconnecting the power packs the Garmin came up with a powering off warning, a 15 sec. countdown which i just canceled by hitting the X....
    When I try to recharge my 810 on the go, that message regularly appears when the cable is connected and it gets very tedious constantly pressing the X. It's one of the reasons why I lost the mental battle during the Evil Ride last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Any advice on stepping up to the 300Km mark? Considering the Midlands 300 (maybe as a permanent) and was looking for any advice. I've a Garmin 500 and I think it should survive the day though perhaps I'll sort a *special* cable to charge it.

The biggest part is accepting the 15(or so) hours you'll be out for.
    the audax ireland has a decent article on it
    When you get low/down, remember "This too will pass"
    Eat only real food
    start slowly, don't burn your matches early.

Advertisement