Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy prices Cork

Options
  • 02-11-2015 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I wish Pharmacies were more transparent with their pricing & charges.
    I have a big pharmacy bill but not quite enough to avail of the drug payment scheme. Getting the best deal would be good. Has anyone found a pharmacy that seems to be cheaper. Has anyone tried an online pharmacy? Is this legal and the same as going into a chemist?

Ta,
    Kaz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Walsh's pharmacy in The Lough Shopping Centre has always been good value for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 CorkEgoVulture

TheChizler wrote: »
    Walsh's pharmacy in The Lough Shopping Centre has always been good value for me.

Do not buy from the tinernet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

The price differences for things are mad, you think they would all be the same...

I have used Lyods online for the old monthly prescription as I used to pay from €45 - €60 for a repeat prescription. Re buying the products online I know someone who used to do this was it McCabes or someplace up the North I can find out the name if you like. You would have to send your prescription up to them and then they would fill it out..

Nothing wrong with it, it was the same as the whatever you would get in the chemist just surprise, surprise it was cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Thanks Milly. I'd be open to trying anything to save a few euro!!
    It's a big expense. It's crazy they don't have to disclose the prices.
    Once or twice I've been caught out if my doctor tries a new drug and the cost has been crazy!

Would you ask your doctor to research prices or anything beforehand or I suppose that is asking to much of them.. Ill ask about there and find out the name of the placed. Looking now I don't think it was McCabes..

There is another gang, they are free to sign up for Solas they offer discounted rate for lets say appointments, dental work etc take a look at their website I must say they are good..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Check out Healthwave. Pharmacy based in Dublin but they deliver nationwide.
    They charge membership fee of €25 per year, then medicines are around 50% cheaper. There is a price list on the website. If you contact them they will price up a prescription for you.
    They have pharmacists that do house calls. Think you get 4 deliveries free then it's €5. I've never used them but could be worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

TheChizler wrote: »

Now being revamped and renamed as Lloyd's Pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Possibly not good for the prices then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Do not buy from the tinernet

Huh? What do you mean?

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Check out Healthwave.

Sounds great - website down at the moment

• Advertisement

Just to note CorkEgoVulture is a bit of a troll I wouldn't pay much attention to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Brodericks in Barrack st is my personal favorite. Staff lovely as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Kazbah wrote: »
    Hi All,

I wish Pharmacies were more transparent with their pricing & charges.
    I have a big pharmacy bill but not quite enough to avail of the drug payment scheme. Getting the best deal would be good. Has anyone found a pharmacy that seems to be cheaper. Has anyone tried an online pharmacy? Is this legal and the same as going into a chemist?

Ta,
    Kaz

depending on your prescription of course but a couple of things that dramatically reduced my pharmacy bill were
    1) Get all 6 months in one go if you have a long term prescription that is unlikely to change in the period, this way you only pay once per item per fee for the 6 months not 6 *fee * items
    2) always ask for generics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

depending on your prescription of course but a couple of things that dramatically reduced my pharmacy bill were
    1) Get all 6 months in one go if you have a long term prescription that is unlikely to change in the period, this way you only pay once per item per fee for the 6 months not 6 *fee * items

I think some pharmacies will charge a dispensing fee per item and treat 6 months as 6 different items. As is said above there is no transparency on the bills just a total per item. It is imperative to request generics to keep the price down.

MrFrisp wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/hse-stops-payments-to-lloyds-pharmacy-in-fees-row-1.2387691

alleged shady practices according to a recent investigation

I thought you weren't allowed do this. I have one item normally costs €50/60
    for a month supply. If I got six months as one I would get money back from the drugs payment scheme but when I do it monthly I don't qualify. I thought they were obliged to offer you generics.
    Pharmacy prices is something that really gets on my goat when you learn the actual cost of things.
    I'll try Brodericks & Togher and see what their prices are like.

for a month supply. If I got six months as one I would get money back from the drugs payment scheme but when I do it monthly I don't qualify. I thought they were obliged to offer you generics.
    Pharmacy prices is something that really gets on my goat when you learn the actual cost of things.

Maybe, but like in everything in life if you don't ask.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Does your doctor not have to prescribe generics?

I don't think so, as far as I know you can ask the chemist.. I know it isn't a major one but for the pill I know my chemist sometimes says ohh we don't have that brand in stock would you like the generic one..

Milly33 wrote: »
    I don't think so, as far as I know you can ask the chemist.. I know it isn't a major one but for the pill I know my chemist sometimes says ohh we don't have that brand in stock would you like the generic one..

AFAIK the law on this was changed some years back previously the chemist was obliged to give you a specific brand of medicine if it was written on the script by the doctor. Doctors were receiving large kickbacks form the drug companies for prescribing their products. My local chemist always obliged with generics even before the law changed. Under competition laws the government cannot introduce a fixed price for drugs which is why you will pay different prices for the same products in different chemists.

• Advertisement

Interesting that you would say "obliged" I asked the same question on here when I discovered the cheaper ways of getting mine. My bill went from e65 per month to e96 for 6 months because of the reasons I mentioned in an earlier post, Generics & getting 6 months filled in one go. As you are only on 1 item the 6 months wouldn't have as much impact and generics may or may not be available for your prescription. You would not still qualify for the Drugs scheme as they would only take a single moth into account.

The pharmacy is not obliged to tell you there is a cheaper option available, or that the pharmacy up the road will be cheaper so it is up to you to ask. Don't be afraid to ring round a few and ask what price they are and whether generics are available.

Ask yourself what businesses were appearing all over towns and cities in the country when all other business were closing down....bookies and pharmacies....why? was everybody getting sick all of a sudden or was there plenty of money in it for them all, usually out of my or your pockets directly or indirectly through charging overinflated prices that were subsidised under the DPS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Does your doctor not have to prescribe generics?

I believe this used to be the case, up to a few years ago anyway.
    I know because the doc prescribed medication for me and when I was at the pharmacy getting the prescription filled I nearly died when I heard the price.

I asked the person could they not give me a generic alternative if one was available and they she told me the GP must prescribe a generic.

I believe this used to be the case, up to a few years ago anyway.
    I know because the doc prescribed medication for me and when I was at the pharmacy getting the prescription filled I nearly died when I heard the price.

I asked the person could they not give me a generic alternative if one was available and they she told me the GP must prescribe a generic.

not the case any more, below from Feb 2014

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/why-generic-drugs-wont-really-save-you-anything-30013039.html

IT'S about eight months since a new law kicked in which allows pharmacies to offer cheaper versions of drugs to patients. And though most people expected the price of drugs to come down, the reality on the ground is very different.

Before the law was introduced, if you were prescribed a branded drug by a doctor, you could not get a cheaper alternative because pharmacists were legally obliged to sell the exact medicine prescribed by your doctor. Pharmacies can now offer you the choice of buying a cheaper generic drug – or the more expensive brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Limitless pharmacy in Limerick might be worth a try and a good day you could be there in under 90 minutes.
    http://limitlesshealth.com/price/.
    I'm getting fed with the great pharmacy rip off, especially Boots who never offer a generic.

Me too, as I said above...

Ask yourself what businesses were appearing all over towns and cities in the country when all other business were closing down....bookies and pharmacies....why? was everybody getting sick all of a sudden or was there plenty of money in it for them all, usually out of my or your pockets directly or indirectly through charging overinflated prices that were subsidised under the DPS

...One sucks the life blood out of communities.... the other takes bets

I agree the pharmaceutical industry is a scourge!!
    Limerick is very doable - I'll check out that place!!

Advertisement