Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a job in D4 - commute suggestions

Options
  • 02-11-2015 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

After 7 years, I'm going to head back to Dublin towards the end of November. I'll be working in D4, near Grand Canal Dock station (no, not in Google).

I'm now looking for a place to live, and the main issue is the commute. Ideally, I'll be looking for something along the DART line - there seem to be interesting places in D3 and further out - like Clongriffin or Raheny, where the train trip should be around 30 minutes. Any information about these areas? Keep in mind I have a car, so I'll have my own mobility for the week end / chores.

Another option seems to be anywhere near the Drumcondra station, with services going to Connolly to change to the DART - any info on the reliability / punctuality of these trains?

Finally, Ballymun seems to have competitive rents and the number 4 bus goes all the way to D4 (stops outside the office door, actually!). My only doubt is traffic - how long would it take to go, say, from the Library in Ballymun to near Grand Canal Dock station in the morning, 9am to 10am (I will have flexitime)?

Also, if you can suggest any other area, that'd be welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

That Ballymun commute can be a nightmare and the duration can vary massively. Dromcondra would be a nice spot to live it would also mean that if there were transport issues you would have the option to walk/cycle in. Griffith Avenue would be a nice spot nearby.

Whats the budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Ideally, maximum 1200-1300. Could go up to 1400 if I can walk or cycle. 2 bedrooms or large 1 bedroom - can't live in a shoebox, much prefer one less holiday a year but to be comfortable at home.

According to Google maps, the 4 can take from 30 minutes at non-peak hours up to 50 in high traffic situation...plausible?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

East Wall/North Strand/Fairview?
    Walk in less than 30 minutes, cycle in less than 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Ideally, maximum 1200-1300. Could go up to 1400 if I can walk or cycle. 2 bedrooms or large 1 bedroom - can't live in a shoebox, much prefer one less holiday a year but to be comfortable at home.

According to Google maps, the 4 can take from 30 minutes at non-peak hours up to 50 in high traffic situation...plausible?

I would say it would be even less than 30 at times but not when you are trying to get to work. 50 would probably be your longest regular commute from there but do it long enough and you will definitely see a few 90 minuters.

With that budget you can live pretty much anywhere. I am moving out of a City Centre apartment early next year if you fancy living central. Only a 1 bed but its much bigger than a regular City Centre 1 bed and it has really high ceilings so feels even more spacious. When we took it there were 60 people lined up to view the place but we know the Landlord so if you did fancy having a look you could get it before it went on the market.

Advertisement