Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Injustices that Particularly Irk You

• 02-11-2015 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Let's try steer clear of the whole banking fiasco so we don't get too bogged down in another of those threads :)

I am thinking more of things like the OJ Simpson case or Madeline McCann's disappearance (if you believe that the parent's did it)

For me it is the Amanda Knox case. The girl could not have been more guilty yet she was painted in the US media as a darling who had been the victim of a medieval like criminal justice system in Italy where suspects are regularly beaten and threatened with rape by Italian police officers.

Yet looking at the facts the entire thing is just plain weird

FIVE REASONS KNOX IS GUILTY
    1) The confession.

Knox confessed that she was in the house on the night of the murder and that she heard Miss Kercher scream, identifying a Congolese bar owner, Patrick Lumumba, as the assailant. She told the court during the trial that the confession was made under duress but then repeated the entire account in a five page memorandum the next morning.

2) The false accusation.

The prosecution said the fact that Knox falsely accused Lumumba of being the killer was a sign of her own guilt and an attempt to throw them off her trail. He was arrested in a dawn raid by armed police and spent two weeks in jail. It was only by chance that a Swiss businessman read about the case and came forward to say he had been talking to Lumumba in his bar on the night of the murder — offering him a rock-solid alibi. Lumumba says Knox nearly ruined his life and is suing her for defamation.

3) The alibi.
    Sollecito could not back up Knox’s alibi on the night of the murder.
    She claimed she spent the evening with him, smoking marijuana, watching the French film Amelie and making love. But Sollecito told police he could not remember if Knox was with him that evening or not.
    Even assuming his memory was hazy because of the drugs, it seemed odd that a young man who had just embarked on a new relationship could not recall whether he had spent the night with his girlfriend or not.

4) Computer and telephone records.
    Sollecito claimed he used his computer to download and watch cartoons and Amelie. But computer experts told the court that there was no activity on his laptop between 9.10pm on Nov 1, and 5.32am the next morning — the time frame in which the murder took place.
    Knox and Sollecito turned off their mobile phones on the night of the murder, from around 8.40pm, and turned them back on at around 6am, inviting further suspicion.

5) The staged break-in.
    A bedroom belonging to one of Miss Kercher’s Italian flatmates was ransacked on the night of the murder, with a window smashed with a rock. But police said the break-in was staged - broken glass from the window was found on top of clothes scattered on the floor, suggesting the window was broken after the contents of the room were messed up. Prosecutors accused Knox and her boyfriend of staging the break-in to make the killing look like a burglary that had turned into rape and murder

So yeah what are yours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

In before Henry Handball post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

The type of AH thread gugleguy would post back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Richard Kimble , it worked out for him in the end though

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Bouncers not believing me I'm sober...I just have a really quiet voice :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

silverharp wrote: »
    Richard Kimble , it worked out for him in the end though

Not exactly, his loving wife stayed dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The size of chocolate bars nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

razorblunt wrote: »
    The size of chocolate bars nowadays.

If there's one thing I learned from Halloween this year, it's that confectionary has gone to ****, pretty much all my childhood favourites are muck now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

WarZ wrote: »
    For me it is the Amanda Knox case. The girl could not have been more guilty yet she was painted in the US media as a darling who had been the victim of a medieval like criminal justice system in Italy where suspects are regularly beaten and threatened with rape by Italian police officers.
    What about Rudy Guede? It's undeniable that he was there and extremely probable that he was the one who killed Kercher. So what part did Knox play in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

The BladeRunner case in South Africa, was a disgusting sentence. The lad killed in pure rage and got off with a few months in prison. Shameful stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

That time when the 84 pulled away from the bus stop, despite the fact that the absolute cunt of a fucker was two minutes early and clearly saw me running towards the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

seamus wrote: »
    What about Rudy Guede? It's undeniable that he was there and extremely probable that he was the one who killed Kercher. So what part did Knox play in it?

I think Amanda Knox, Guede and Sollicito were all present on the night in question. The knife found in Knox's boyfriend's house matched only one of the three wounds, I think Guede was responsible for the other two wounds.

All of her actions and statements lead me to believe she is guilty. The alibi that Sollicito claimed he was not sure of, her coerced statement that was repeated the next day by Knox voluntarily (obviously a good lawyer told her she needed to get her statement dropped) the inactivity on the computer, the false accusation, both Knox and Sollicito turning off their phones and on again the following morning in tandem, the relationship between Knox and the victim and of course the testimony of a witness that placed Knox at the crime scene arguing with her boyfriend that was thrown out due to the fact that the witness was a drug addict and thus 'unreliable'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Russian backed rebels getting off with shooting down a civilian airliner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I often see the 'man' in this news story when I'm taking a walk by the River Barrow. This bastard gets five months for sexually assaulting a woman and is then free to wander around in the exact place he committed his crimes. He's sexually assaulted more women since then. But if a woman were to carry pepper spray to defend herself she could get five years in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Martin Sludden and The 2010 Leinster Football Final.

Unbelievable how such a poor decision could be made and it cost a team a once in a lifetime chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Concurrent sentences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

WarZ wrote: »
    FIVE REASONS KNOX IS GUILTY

Leave foxy knoxy alone - hot chicks don't kill people:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

For me it would be lots of the stuff that occurred during the conflict here and the sheer double standard that was applied by those who masqueraded as being a power of "law and order"; Blood Sunday would be one thing that springs immediately to mind. Fourteen people who were protesting in their own country against the British Army arresting and imprisoning Irish people without trial were murdered on the streets - they were subsequently lied about and smeared and those who killed them were later decorated by the Queen.

While the above is one of the most famous examples, people suffered countless abuse and indignities at the hands of an occupying force. I met one woman in Belfast who was blinded after a soldier fired a plastic bullet through her kitchen window which hit her in the face, needless to say nobody was ever held to account for it.

I know former British soldiers (I work with two) over here who are sound, but when people start banging on about "Helping Heroes" and all that b*llocks it really p*sses me off. It was grand to inflict that sort of thing on Irish people but they wouldn't tolerate half of it in their own country for two seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Soups123 wrote: »
    The BladeRunner case in South Africa, was a disgusting sentence. The lad killed in pure rage and got off with a few months in prison. Shameful stuff

I know. There was rumblings that he mightn't get realised on house arrest a few weeks back, and his family complained that it was unfair. Why exactly was it unfair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

OP is talking bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Any father that finds himself at the "mercy" of the Family Court".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

People with 64 convictions, etc who commit crimes while on bail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

People with 64 convictions, etc who commit crimes while on bail.

People with 64 convictions that aren't locked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

It can't be said Knox could not have been more guilty - speculation and fact are different things.
    The thing with Knox was that it *looked* like she could not have been more guilty but when investigated further it wasn't so cut and dry. Rudy Guede also looked extremely guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

But if a woman were to carry pepper spray to defend herself she could get five years in jail.

its very hard to get sent to jail in Ireland, even harder if its a woman

there is zero chance of a women getting 5 years in jail for having pepper spray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This post has been deleted.
    It's an offensive weapon. You can't be carrying weapons around for self-defence, that's insane.

Anyway, I didn't actually put up an injustice.

My one would be the fact that a woman who is carrying a feotus that is known will die at or shortly after birth or will be severely incapacitated for its entire life, is not permitted the humanity of ending the pregnancy at home and instead is left with the choice to either give birth to it, or to travel overseas and leave the remains there.

Soups123 wrote: »

I agree and I don't agree. I think he killed her in a rage, as you say. But, I don't think the prosecution proved that beyond a reasonable doubt, and for that reason he should have been found not guilty. We can't go locking people up for stuff we can't prove they did. Everything about him says he did it, but you can't convict on a gut feeling and bad impression, imo. It was definitely an injustice, but a much better job could have been done on the case against him.

I'm glad he got some time in prison at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Mods .......... sometimes they are just plain, and obviously, wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The Hand of Back

......even though I'm not a Munster fan.

.....and yes, I'm quite willing to admit that if an Irish player had done it we'd have celebrated his quick thinking :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Cases of innocent people being sentenced to death, Timothy Evans most famously who was convicted on flimsy grounds for the murder of his baby daughter. In a follow up investigation 15 years later his house tenant finally admitted to the murder.

The one good thing that arose from the whole affair was that the case sowed the seeds for the abolition of the death penalty in Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Charles Manson. Bit of a lawless fellow. Robbing food, forging checks, spot of pimping, stealing a car. That kind of thing. No history of violence. Think he was scapegoated by the prosecution and sold down the river by Tex and Co trying to save thier necks. Reckon he's innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

FTA69 wrote: »
    For me it would be lots of the stuff that occurred during the conflict here and the sheer double standard that was applied by those who masqueraded as being a power of "law and order"; Blood Sunday would be one thing that springs immediately to mind. Fourteen people who were protesting in their own country against the British Army arresting and imprisoning Irish people without trial were murdered on the streets - they were subsequently lied about and smeared and those who killed them were later decorated by the Queen.

While the above is one of the most famous examples, people suffered countless abuse and indignities at the hands of an occupying force. I met one woman in Belfast who was blinded after a soldier fired a plastic bullet through her kitchen window which hit her in the face, needless to say nobody was ever held to account for it.

I know former British soldiers (I work with two) over here who are sound, but when people start banging on about "Helping Heroes" and all that b*llocks it really p*sses me off. It was grand to inflict that sort of thing on Irish people but they wouldn't tolerate half of it in their own country for two seconds.
    Must be the best occupation in history. The occupiers are actually supported by the majority of people who you claim they oppress. How odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Ira scumbags walking free having murdered innocent people. Particularly the scum thaft murdered gerry mccabe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Cases of innocent people being sentenced to death, Timothy Evans most famously who was convicted on flimsy grounds for the murder of his baby daughter. In a follow up investigation 15 years later his house tenant finally admitted to the murder.

The one good thing that arose from the whole affair was that the case sowed the seeds for the abolition of the death penalty in Britain.

but there was a bit of a down side, voters in Britain were promised that instead of the death penalty, all murders would spend the rest of their lives in jail, since then a number of murderers have been released and killed again

injustice like that really irks me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭TheNobleKipper

Scumbags living off my tax money :(
    I know, I know, I chose to live in Ireland and chose it over my birth country, but I still feel like moaning about it because I've never come across this blatant laissez faire attitude. It's probably the same elsewhere but I just witness the cases right around me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Roman Polanski, disgusting that the man has never faced real justice and is still revered by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Giuseppe Conlon got an awful raw deal in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Azalea wrote: »
    It can't be said Knox could not have been more guilty - speculation and fact are different things.
    The thing with Knox was that it *looked* like she could not have been more guilty but when investigated further it wasn't so cut and dry. Rudy Guede also looked extremely guilty.

She looked guilty as hell as her body language and general demeanour didn't please the media/general public. The 'ice queen' thing, laughing and kissing Sollecito the day after the murder etc.

The trial was generally a botched-up mess from start to finish though and the other Guede lad was a shady character from Day One, who was undeniably linked to the crime scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Roman Polanski, disgusting that the man has never faced real justice and is still revered by some.

Was going to thank your post but I'm never not going to like 'Chinatown'. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I thanked it even though Roman Polanski is one of my favourite directors. Still a scumbag though, who has gotten away with a heinous crime. A damaged man I'd say, but no excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Severard

North Korea:

Asian people are generally smaller than their European counterparts yet the North Korean children in comparison to those in the South are shocking. Kids are up to 13 cm shorter and 7 KG lighter.

Over 100,000 children are expected to train for ten hours per day for six months for mass games in the presence of the dictator. Some of them die from exhaustion.

If a woman is pregnant with a child whose father is not North Korean, she is forced to have an abortion using rusty equipment, sometimes without anesthetic.

The novel "Escape from camp 14" by Shin Dong-Hyuk is well worth a read.

Iran:

During the Iran/Iraq war, children were sent into mine fields to clear them and were giving plastics keys and were told that these keys would open the gates to paradise. The children then walked, with the small plastic key in hand, into the mine field and blew themselves to pieces.

India/Pakistan:

If a person does something that is deemed wrong, then a female relative will be raped. Happened in India recently and has happened before in Pakistan too.

Raif Badawi:

Sentenced to 1,000 lashes and ten years in prison in Saudi Arabia for "apostasy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I feel sick reading that last post ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

RayM wrote: »
    That time when the 84 pulled away from the bus stop, despite the fact that the absolute cunt of a fucker was two minutes early and clearly saw me running towards the bus.

Post of the day! :D:D:D:D:D

On a serious note - John Gilligan getting away with the murder of Veronica Guerin.

On a sports related "crime"

Spear tackle on Brian O'Driscoll - was showing my nephew the other day. Utter b*stardness!

The hand ball by Henry still gets me :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

The way they turned Libya from one of the most prosperous countries in the world into a hell hole in a few short years.disgraceful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

As a child of the 70s/80s, as bad as it may seem now I remember a time when it was simply accepted that certain strands of society such as politicians, councillors, Guards, , wealthy business men, friends of the afore mentioned were often above the law and it was taken as given that if they were caught drink driving, serving in their pub after hours or at any other misdemenour they got away with it.
    Its changing but bloody slowly

everlast75 wrote: »
    Spear tackle on Brian O'Driscoll - was showing my nephew the other day. Utter b*stardness!

I was gonna go with Linda Martin losing the 83 Eurovision, but yours is even more trivial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Civil servants getting extra money like "productivity allowances" on the basis that they got in the door before a certain point, and other people doing the same work as them getting far less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Politics and businessmen who steal on taxpayers money and never get caught and laughing in our faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Civil servants getting extra money like "productivity allowances" on the basis that they got in the door before a certain point, and other people doing the same work as them getting far less.

dont forget the time off they get to cash their pay cheques. despite the fact they arent paid by cheque any more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement