Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Service/repair of shotgun

Options
  • 02-11-2015 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I own a licensed shotgun I inherited from my father about 10 years ago. I don't know how old the gun itself is - I would say 40 years plus - and it could be 20 years or more since it was last fired, though I've kept it cleaned and oiled. I'd like to get it looked at by a gun smith to know if it's safe/repairable etc but I've no idea where to go. Can anyone offer any advice? I'm in the Naas area but anywhere Kildare/Laois/North Tipp would be doable.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thomas Drennan

John Conroy portlaois

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

Cheers for that, Thomas

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

John Conroy portlaois

He'll make you drive over twice, wait for 30 minutes when you get there, not have the part, never have seen the gun before, then suggest you use duct tape and foam in place of the part you went over for.

Oh, wait. That was me. The man is not what i would call a gunsmith. Give Tony Curran in Ardee Sports a shout. You can courier the gun up to them, have it serviced and then sent back.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Thanks for sharing your experience, Cass. As I said, it's an old gun and with no manufacturers/makers mark on it so I probably will need someone who's good with parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

You could also try Gerry Gearon outside Clonmel.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Bogwoppit

I really appreciate all the advice offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

There's a lot of stuff you can check yourself like proof marks and pressure stamps, chamber length, general barrel condition, safe catch working or not, with snapcaps wether it's actually firing or not, general wood condition, play or looseness in barrels or action and so on. When the barrels look in good condition and the gun closes tight without play in the action and the furniture is solid and in fires and cocks fine with snap caps it will more than likely be fine. A quick look by either of the two gentlemen recommended above will give you final confirmation.

Advertisement