Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrades?

Options
  • 02-11-2015 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Been toying with the idea of throwing some extra funds at my PC, and wanted some advice.

Current specs:

Mod Asus z97-a
    core i5 4690k (OC to 4.2ghz)
    Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 970 G1 (Not overclocked yet)
    4 x HyperX Fury Series 8 GB
    2 x HyperX Fury 120GB SSD (1 for OS, 1 for games)
    2 x 2TB 7200rpm 64MB Cache Sata 6.0Gb/s (storage)
    Corsair hydro H75
    Monitor - Acer G277HU

Currently have a CX750 power supply, but Corsair are sending me a replacement. They are sending me a CS750M due to coil whine. (But reading reviews, this also experiences the same issues, so I might push for a CX750M) as it seems to be more reliable.

What i've been thinking of adding
    New case (currently looking at this )
    considering another GTX 790 G1

Maybe go watercooling for both graphics cards if I can find a nice set that will work and fit with the new case.
    (Will probably keep the CPU using the H75).

Any thoughts of suggested upgrades?

note: Everything is new. approx 6 months. Not sure if I want to look at 6th gen CPU's or ddr4. Not for a few years anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

You never said what your case is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

It's an Aerocool GT-A

Cable management is a nightmare on it.

There's lots of 5 1/2 drive bays, which I havn't used in about 5 years, so I was looking at cases that got rid of these for more favourable items.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

well what are you mainly using the pc for? im guessing gaming?

Another 970 would be nice to push for extra fps in newer games at 1440p.

I've never really gone for water cooling bar a AIO cpu cooler so i dont know much about it. Is the price to performance gain high?

I can only assume the water cooler would allow for a more powerful and stable overclock as temps would drop, the same as the CPU.

An extra 970 would be my main bet, as it doesn't involve replacing any hardware, and it would give the pc a bit more juice for my monitor.

The motherboard I have, I assume it wont have any limitations in running 2 x 970's in sli?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You could also sell the 970 and upgrade to a single 980 or 390x which offers a good bit more juice at 1440p and would be nowhere near as expensive an upgrade, and you also would have more vram. Not to mention no SLI issues either, though admittedly Nvidia is pretty good with SLI, miles ahead of AMD which is dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Or would it be better to sell the 970, jump to a 980ti instead.

I'm running a 1440p on a gtx 970 g1 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

OP, considering the high spec of your current system if it was me, I'd look into selling that 970 and picking up a 980 TI. Sli and Crossfire setups look great on paper but sadly in the real world it takes ages for games to be optimized to use them correctly.

If money is really burning a hole in your pocket maybe look into a good keyboard and mouse setup if you don't already have them or a multi-monitor setup.

Multi monitor would be the most expensive upgrade I think. I'd accept nothing more than the same monitor, which cost me a big 380 quid.

I'm interested in a possible 980 TI, so I'll check out the prices and see what I could get for my 4 month old 790 :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah id be going with a 980ti.
    If i were you id consider getting a 144hz monitor with gsyc, really is an amazing experience.

Advertisement