Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeplugs or Wifi extender? Advice

Options
  • 02-11-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi, I need wifi for the chaullay next door to my house, the chaullay is about a foot away from my kitchen and wondering what would be the best option. Would any of these manage to boost my wifi to make it reachable from there?

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

If the chaullay is on the same electrical circuit as the house then go for homeplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dafuq is a chaullay? Do you mean chalet?

But yeah, powerline plugs are probably easiest if on same powerline.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Even if the WiFi extender can pick up and boost your WiFi, the achievable speed is halved for anything connected to the extender. This means that if the extender is only getting a poor reception from your WiFi and acheiving 5Mb/s, any client on the extended network will be limited to a max of 2.5Mb/s.

Wired is always better than wireless if you can get it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

seamus wrote: »
    Even if the WiFi extender can pick up and boost your WiFi, the achievable speed is halved for anything connected to the extender. This means that if the extender is only getting a poor reception from your WiFi and acheiving 5Mb/s, any client on the extended network will be limited to a max of 2.5Mb/s.

Wired is always better than wireless if you can get it in.

True, but that's not the question he asked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I gots ta know what a chaullay is man!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Parky2

Skerries wrote: »
    I gots ta know what a chaullay is man!?

It's like a creche on the south side. When two cars bang into one another...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I you go with tp-link powerline be aware they can drop connection at random. I have some of these and they're a pita.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Wondering if anyone can help. Router is in a different room than my tv and I find the wifi unreliable for streaming from NAS.

It's probably preferable to go wired but with the distance from router to tv it's not very practical. What are homeplugs/tp links like? Any recommendations on where to get them or should I avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i used homeplug DATA over electric circuit, on a console , one sender ,one reciever ,
    it worked fine ,for internet gaming .
    xbox live .
    distance 20-25 foot.
    From a big brand homeplug vendor ,
    i cant remember the name now .
    just buy the sender ,revievers from the same brand ,to ensure easy setup .
    max speed .
    I plugged ,sender into router,with ethernet rj45,
    reciever, plugged network rj45 , cable in to it,other end into console .
    Just shows up as a standard data ethernet signal .
    My sender had ethernet ,
    theres ones with a reciever ,sender has wifi wireless output ,
    and reviever ,has wifi out and 1 ethernet out port .
    i think the brand was homeplug , powerline something like that , . sender ,reciver cost me 60 euro in 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

L'prof wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone can help. Router is in a different room than my tv and I find the wifi unreliable for streaming from NAS.

It's probably preferable to go wired but with the distance from router to tv it's not very practical. What are homeplugs/tp links like? Any recommendations on where to get them or should I avoid?
    I bought these about a year ago and have zero problems with them. I have a PS4 and SKYhd box connected to the second one with ethernet cables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

if you wanna use a wifi extender you,ll have to run a ethernet cable to the chalet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

guil wrote: »
    I bought these about a year ago and have zero problems with them. I have a PS4 and SKYhd box connected to the second one with ethernet cables.

Ended up buying TP Links in Eir, €70 for Powerline and WIFI extender combo. I didn't necessarily want a wifi extender but went for that model because the Powerline speed was 500Mb/s as opposed to 200Mb/s. I'm sure 200Mb/s would have been fine but I couldn't help myself.

Advertisement