Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do about illegal parking?

Options
  • 02-11-2015 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So I am living in a small apartment place in Limerick and there is a limited one car parking space outside the apartment per house. Now they have visiting parking for other cars that are owned by your apartment and it is just round the corner but there is one car in particular that parks on the double yellow line outside my house and it makes it impossible to reverse or even drive into the assigned parking space.

What can I do about this?
    I also cannot find a number to call as all posters around are faded. Any advice?
    Or any advice how to find the number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Do you own the apartment or rent? If you rent, go to your landlord. If you own, contact the management company agent.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If someone is parking illegally and it is making dangerous to get in / out, you can contact the gardai about towing them. But I'd follow previous post first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I rent so I will contact my landlord as suggested, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Is it a private road, or a road maintained by the Local Authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

MarkR wrote: »
    If someone is parking illegally and it is making dangerous to get in / out, you can contact the gardai about towing them. But I'd follow previous post first.

The gardaí won't do anything if it's private parking on a managed estate. If it's a public road under the authority of the council it'll be a different story.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what type of road it is. It is a road just in front of all our apartments (it is a small estate) and it has double yellow lines where this person is parking. A lot of children around and a lot of cars.
    That's all I know about it and that it obstructs two or even three parking spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

^^
    ^^
    Surely they would if it's trespassing

The thing is though, this actually could be my housemate or the house above me's car..I know only two cars in the neighbourhood as we moved in about a month ago and I worry that it could be the housemate.
    I'm so bad with cars though, wouldn't know what they drive ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aragneer wrote: »
    I'm not sure what type of road it is. It is a road just in front of all our apartments (it is a small estate) and it has double yellow lines where this person is parking. A lot of children around and a lot of cars.
    That's all I know about it and that it obstructs two or even three parking spaces.

Parking on double yellows is an offence full stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Stranger Danger

Leave a note on his windscreen asking him to stop parking there.

Suggest in the note that if he doesn't you'll be forced to take the matter further.

Don't say exactly what you mean by this.

It's unlikely he'll park there again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Have you tried leaving a note on the widescreen pointing out the access issue fire to parking in the double yellow lines

The note is a good idea. I may do that next time I see it happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

The thing is though, this actually could be my housemate or the house above me's car..I know only two cars in the neighbourhood as we moved in about a month ago and I worry that it could be the housemate.
    I'm so bad with cars though, wouldn't know what they drive ha!

You could try a mad idea like asking them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

The reason I haven't asked them is because any time I ask them if something is their rubbish or whatever, they are immediately very defensive and seem to find something at flaw with what kind of a housemate I am. They don't like criticism very much and especially don't like it if I am insinuating that they did something wrong - found this out the hard way after asking if a sweaty gym bag on the kitchen top was theirs..

I don't want to cause problems like that.
    I think my first port of call is going to be a note, I like that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The criticism will stop when they get things right.
    If you don't point out the issue then how will they learn?

Just say that there is a car blocking your parking and do they know who's it is?
    Or try the note if you prefer.

biko wrote: »
    The criticism will stop when they get things right.
    If you don't point out the issue then how will they learn?

Just say that there is a car blocking your parking and do they know who's it is?
    Or try the note if you prefer.

Good point! That will be the plan of action for this week.
    Thanks very much for everyone's help!

The reason I haven't asked them is because any time I ask them if something is their rubbish or whatever, they are immediately very defensive and seem to find something at flaw with what kind of a housemate I am. They don't like criticism very much and especially don't like it if I am insinuating that they did something wrong - found this out the hard way after asking if a sweaty gym bag on the kitchen top was theirs..

I don't want to cause problems like that.
    I think my first port of call is going to be a note, I like that idea.

Fair enough but there is a bit of a difference between rubbish and a car blocking access!

petes wrote: »
    Fair enough but there is a bit of a difference between rubbish and a car blocking access!

Very true! I am going to try the note first but if it is them, it will be one ear and out the other. The next step will be landlord I believe.

Thanks for the help!

Very true! I am going to try the note first but if it is them, it will be one ear and out the other. The next step will be landlord I believe.

Thanks for the help!

I suppose if it isn't theirs the note will rule that out anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

In the estate that I live in there managing agents who, if you talk to them, will do something about any issues tenants or owner occupiers ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 reach for the stars

if its your housemates car is he not entitled to that space also , why dont you park around the corner or am i missing something

if its your housemates car is he not entitled to that space also , why dont you park around the corner or am i missing something

Missing something - We have one spot - whoever gets there first gets the spot and the others are supposed to park in the visitors parking area, which usually I do as one person has the spot but then another is parked on the double yellow lines outside the house, making it almost impossible to get into our assigned spot. If it is my housemate, they are too lazy to park around the corner, when I do it nearly every day anyway!

Short story - First come first serve spot, if you don't get it, you park in visitors but someone clearly can't be bothered to walk around the corner.

Advertisement