Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Fwarder wrote: »
    Even without Brexit, Address Pal wasn't quite known as a blazingly fast service so I'm not sure why are you so angry now :D

Regarding Brexit, apparently Customs (or An post) had more customs related business in January than throughout the whole 2020.

I'd say it is what it is now. Ask a seller to include an invoice with the parcel, forget about the item for 21 days and hope for the best :)

No wonder why everyone else (dpd, PM) bailed out of this business.

Order directly from the UK? Find an alternative from Germany? Wait for Amazon IE :D ?

Most UK sites dont bother with us anymore - too much red tape.

https://spares.hozelock.com/fast-reel-cart-annual-service-kit-z71020.html I wanted to order this, Hozelock does not post to Ireland anymore and it's not available anywhere else online , I had to get it sent to a relation in the UK and they are kindly posting it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AmyMay

[QUOTE=

Order directly from the UK? Find an alternative from Germany? Wait for Amazon IE :D ?[/QUOTE]

I've been buying from European sites and the delivery is more like a week to ten days, although a small parcel arrived from Sweden within 48hrs shipped with DHL, the order was over €100 so shipping was not charged additionally. A German store I ordered from shipped with DHL at the cost of €20 but the parcel was then handed to An Post.
    I am somewhat involved in retail in my job and already we are seeing more local customers ask us for items to be ordered in. In time we should be better able to predict the new wants/needs and adjust accordingly. Slow process though. Even asking local retailers will help drive demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭flesheatingbug

Can someone give me a hand here..

Through work i ordered something from the UK that cost €10 and an post valued it as €23 and charged me customs fees

Personally I just ordered something from the UK that cost €16 and again an post valued it at €29 and charged me customs fees

I though customs fees only applied to things over €22

I contacted them via they're contact form but heard no reply and tried to contact by phone but the waiting was ridiculous so I gave up. What I really want to know is are they in the wrong or am I. I have the receipts so I can prove the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 paulie1983

Can someone give me a hand here..

Through work i ordered something from the UK that cost €10 and an post valued it as €23 and charged me customs fees

Personally I just ordered something from the UK that cost €16 and again an post valued it at €29 and charged me customs fees

I though customs fees only applied to things over €22

I contacted them via they're contact form but heard no reply and tried to contact by phone but the waiting was ridiculous so I gave up. What I really want to know is are they in the wrong or am I. I have the receipts so I can prove the prices.

The €22 limit is the combined cost of item plus its postage not just the cost of item.

Its a long wait for them to get back to you I've sent them the right details 3 times now and still no reply to my latest email.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Was it normal post of AddressPal?

• Advertisement

paulie1983 wrote: »
    The €22 limit is the combined cost of item plus its postage not just the cost of item.

Its a long wait for them to get back to you I've sent them the right details 3 times now and still no reply to my latest email.

postage was free in both cases, so total is what I said, plus the addresspal fee of €6.50 but i presume that would not be included in the customs charge?

whiterebel wrote: »
    Was it normal post of AddressPal?

just standard packages. the work one i paid for and it actually said the value on £15 on the package so no idea where €23 came from

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Moved to the AdressPal thread.

You add on the AddressPal cost for VAT

Feck are you serious? That basically makes addresspal defunct because you'll always be charged customs with that service but by not using it there's a better chance of getting through

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

Feck are you serious? That basically makes addresspal defunct because you'll always be charged customs with that service but by not using it there's a better chance of getting through

Ya... that puts your item max cost to be around €15-€16.

• Advertisement

Of course if you take that in to account both orders were still under €22

I'm done with Addresspal the amount of hassle I'm having with a package. I've been constantly telling the E Comm Charge bloke the same facts over and over how much the item is what vat should be and I dont have an invoice and can't get an invoice.

I know it isn't Addresspal fault but they have been no help with this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Josey569

Have many people used addresspal since Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

paulie1983 wrote: »
    I'm done with Addresspal the amount of hassle I'm having with a package. I've been constantly telling the E Comm Charge bloke the same facts over and over how much the item is what vat should be and I dont have an invoice and can't get an invoice.

I know it isn't Addresspal fault but they have been no help with this mess.

In this case they go with their appraisal I guess. Try to find idential item yourself and send them that info?

Fwarder wrote: »
    In this case they go with their appraisal I guess. Try to find idential item yourself and send them that info?

I've sent screenshot of item link to where I bought screenshot of PayPal but no nothing is good enough from them. I'm not paying near triple of what it should cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

That's how customs entry is done around the world.

If I bring a container of goods in from China that cost €10,000 and shipping costs €8,000 (container shipping has skyrocketed), then the value for duty and vat is €18,000.

Same applies if I were based in the USA, UK, France, NZ.

Same applies if it's a €16 item + €7 delivery too. Called the "landed cost"

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭tiegan

I have received two separate addresspal parcels since 1 Jan. Both secondhand leather saddles. The first one was £50 and they guessed 49.99 as the value, quite impressive. The other cost £100 and they valued it at £10 - came straight here, no request for duty, just paid the 6.50e addresspal charge. So it works both ways. I will keep trying this out, and see how well it works out in the long run. I usually buy about 50 second hand saddles a year from the uk - Used to use addresspal more rarely, I relied on DPD. So it seems some of us get lucky some of the time. I am sure I will eventually get stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Need some advice on this one, opened an Addresspal account last week to order a vinyl record from Walmart in U.S

Now when i put my address in when ordering i'm 100% sure that i put my APW in, turns out that package was delivered but without my APW on it.

I've sent an email to addresspal 3 days ago but no response.

Only positive i reckon is i have a VERY unusual surname so that may be a saving grace

Without an APW should i be considering the order lost??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

scudzilla wrote: »
    Need some advice on this one, opened an Addresspal account last week to order a vinyl record from Walmart in U.S

Now when i put my address in when ordering i'm 100% sure that i put my APW in, turns out that package was delivered but without my APW on it.

Only positive i reckon is i have a VERY unusual surname so that may be a saving grace

They'll find it eventually by matching the name to your account. If youre the only person with your name on their records, it'll be easy for them. If not, it'll take a bit of time but you'll still get it eventually. Have had it happen me a good few times at this stage.

Their customer service is VERY slow, don't let the fact you haven't had a response yet put you off.

All they really need to find it is the tracking number, a description of the contents, and your name + APW number. If you sent them that already, it's just a case of waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

They should sort it...... eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

Their customer service is VERY slow, don't let the fact you haven't had a response yet put you off.
    Yeah, had the same happen to me, they don't bother to let you know they processed it and are actually sending it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

How mad is this, emailed them 3 days ago, posted here for ideas, 2 minutes after i posted here i get an email from addresspal saying item on way to me.

My surname really is one of a kind, not a hope anyone else on their system has it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

How mad is this, emailed them 3 days ago, posted here for ideas, 2 minutes after i posted here i get an email from addresspal saying item on way to me.

My surname really is one of a kind, not a hope anyone else on their system has it

My name is relatively common, which explains why my parcel is still missing since last November...

Think I'm going to change my name in AddressPal to Zwserlpod to avoid future problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Don't know what to say ! So My UK Parcel was delivered to Hatfield a few weeks ago and made its way through Heathrow to Dublin (All charges paid) was in Dublin Parcel Hub for 8 days and then headed back to UK and was delivered to Hatfield yesterday !

An Post Tracking

13 February 2021 12:00

We delivered your post GREAT BRITAIN

11 February 2021 14:33

Your delivery was received in GREAT BRITAIN

03 February 2021 15:18

We have your post in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12

03 February 2021 14:24

We have your post in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12

26 January 2021 14:16

We have your post in LONDON, HEATHROW TRANSIT HUB

Royal Mail Tracking

Ireland

Updated on: Saturday 13 February
    12:00pm
    Delivered by
    Hatfield AL DO
    Hide earlier journey
    Saturday 13 February
    06:46am
    Due to be delivered today by
    Hatfield AL DO
    Thursday 11 February
    02:33pm
    Item Received
    LANGLEY HWDC, United Kingdom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

I am impressed Tim, truly, but I think I can raise you:
    So far all VAT assessments have had to be queried, most have been re-evaluated and released, including one item that was badly damaged after repacking and sent out to me at lightening speed, however, two items have not been heard from since the vat estimate was queried on 28 and 29 of January (well before the damaged item).

I sent in a query about the missing items on 10 February and just received this reply, sent at 17:04:
    Good Morning

Thank you for your email.

Could you please send pictures of the internal and external packaging?

Kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Doge

Doge wrote: »
    Just got emailed a customs charge of €8.89 from addresspal.
    The item I bought from eBay UK was only €19.39 (£16.99)with free UK postage.
    Going to email the invoice and dispute, I have zero tolerance for this bullsh1t personally.

Update on this.
    I received the package yesterday with no fees.
    It had £16.99 as the final value on the label address pal put on it so I presume they read my email.

Maybe they're just chancing their arm by including the address pal fee when calculating the duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I have something from Addresspal UK sitting in Dublin since Feb 10th

Anyone know how long I can expect to wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I have something from Addresspal UK sitting in Dublin since Feb 10th

Anyone know how long I can expect to wait to receive it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Its customs that ascertains the value of items,and charges the import duty,not an post or addresspal,its always been customs. Some get through simply because the customs arent diligent ,or lazy, if it was an post staff doing the checking and charging,every item would be checked,as its potential revenue for the company.

Its always been customs doing the charging. An post did the collecting for them,which saved them fortunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Its customs that ascertains the value of items,and charges the import duty,not an post or addresspal,its always been customs. Some get through simply because the customs arent diligent ,or lazy, if it was an post staff doing the checking and charging,every item would be checked,as its potential revenue for the company.

Its always been customs doing the charging. An post did the collecting for them,which saved them fortunes.

That is not true. I spoke to an AddressPal agent several weeks ago about an item of mine that was seriously over-valued for customs. The person I spoke to said that if there was no invoice attached to the parcel "we have to jump on the web and look up the value of the item" so they are responsible for assigning the value to items they receive..

...and this is what is causing everything to go to sh*t with their service - the values they are using are totally arbitrary in a lot of cases. I queried the charges on the 27th of January and submitted the required paperwork. I was told last week (the 10th of Feb) that it will be another 10 days at least before they can re-assess my query , submit a new bill and release the item

Advertisement