Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Anyone have this issue with Amazon before?

"An attempt was made to deliver your package. A re-delivery attempt will be made on the next business day."

In case anyone's interested, the re-delivery succeeded on Monday and it arrived in Ireland yesterday. AddressPal blamed Amazon's courier for the first delivery failure as they said they received parcels from other couriers on the same day. Just picked it up this morning so I'm happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Just received an item 120cm long 15cm wide 10cm depth 3.50euro great
    Item was to big for parcel motel would have cost me extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

noel100 wrote: »
    Just received an item 120cm long 15cm wide 10cm depth 3.50euro great
    Item was to big for parcel motel would have cost me extra.

Parcel wizard are better for large items
    I've had a ride on car and 12 foot trampoline to the door at no extra cost
    An post won't do that

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Parcel wizard are better for large items
    I've had a ride on car and 12 foot trampoline to the door at no extra cost
    An post won't do that

That is not bad..
    Might sign up to parcel wizard if you can get large items

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

What's everyone's problem with the long 16 digit number for addresspal? I've ordered well over 30 odd things, big and small, with that number and had no problem with delivery at all. It's just part of your address.

I don't get what the big deal is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

They really need to have a rethink about the length of the personalised customer number.

The only place I would even consider using AP is from Amazon direct.

Not a chance would i use them with Ebay.

I use it with eBay and never had the number cut off
    This year so far 36 transactions with address pal and no problem, 90 with parcel wizard no problem and 1 with parcel motel from asda who chopped off the number and delayed my parcel for a week

Address pal code works fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What's everyone's problem with the long 16 digit number for addresspal? I've ordered well over 30 odd things, big and small, with that number and had no problem with delivery at all. It's just part of your address.

I don't get what the big deal is.
    You would "have a problem" if it was 50 digits, or 100? if so why? the answer you give will probably be along the lines of what you asking.

rubadub wrote: »
    I am astonished that an post did not learn from parcel motel, neither did parcel wizard. All giving unneccessarily long addresses which were bound to cause trouble. And all these companies are in the business of dealing with addresses and know fine well how people would tend to omit things.

Parcel motel and addresspal are both 7 line addresses, rare to see that many lines on online forums. Parcel wizard have 8 lines, madness, or 9 lines if you were ordering and wanting to put in "northern ireland".

And an post have 14 characters in their ID code, its like they want people to mess up.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

I don't have to enter it
    I have the three companies saved on my eBay account and can switch between them

Patww79 wrote: »

Same could be said for a door number or eircode
    Don't see a problem with it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bodhran wrote: »
    I have been a user of Parcel Motel for many years and find the service excellent. However I have signed up for Addresspal as I have a post office at the top of my road and am available during the day to collect. I have just received the card and literature from An Post and am surprised at the list of items they will not accept for delivery. Some are understandable e.g. guns, ammunition, explosives. But why exclude aerosols of any kind, batteries (and any appliance with a battery fitted), toner and ink cartridges, (that excludes printers also as they usually come with ink/toner included), liquids of any kind - so no perfume, aftershave etc.?

I don't think I'll be making much use of Addresspal.

And another thing - the personal reference number is way too long at 16 characters as against Parcel Motel's seven characters.

The full list of prohibited items is here: http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Sending+Mail/Speed/Prohibited+items.htm

I've recently sent the following through Address Pal without issue:

1. Several crates of commercial aerosols
    2. Wine
    3. Replacement Li-ion batteries for laptops
    4. Aftershave
    5. Monin coffee syrups
    6. Numerous laptops and other electronics and components
    7. Various pieces of pottery- including antique Denby, Clarice Cliff etc
    8. Chemicals for developing photographic film

I haven't attempted to use it for weaponry of any nature- nor do I intend to- however, I've hit just about every other category of banned item on their list- without issue.

Today- I had an 12kg package of titanium oxide delivered (several tins wrapped in about 30m of bubble wrap)........

Providing its well packaged- they don't seem to have an issue with delivering pretty much anything at all. They do get narky if you exceed the dimensional or actual weight restrictions however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Bodhran wrote: »
    I have been a user of Parcel Motel for many years and find the service excellent. However I have signed up for Addresspal as I have a post office at the top of my road and am available during the day to collect. I have just received the card and literature from An Post and am surprised at the list of items they will not accept for delivery. Some are understandable e.g. guns, ammunition, explosives. But why exclude aerosols of any kind, batteries (and any appliance with a battery fitted), toner and ink cartridges, (that excludes printers also as they usually come with ink/toner included), liquids of any kind - so no perfume, aftershave etc.?

I don't think I'll be making much use of Addresspal.

And another thing - the personal reference number is way too long at 16 characters as against Parcel Motel's seven characters.

The full list of prohibited items is here: http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Sending+Mail/Speed/Prohibited+items.htm

I got something with a lithium battery delivered just the other day. Packaging even stated it had a battery and still got it no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I had a bottle of liquid sealer delivered with no problem. AP seem to be getting faster. My recent deliveries have been quick - an item posted in Wales on Monday arrived on Thursday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Discodog wrote: »
    I had a bottle of liquid sealer delivered with no problem. AP seem to be getting faster. My recent deliveries have been quick - an item posted in Wales on Monday arrived on Thursday.

Laptop delivered to Addresspal with tracking arrived in the UK and was signed for at reception @ 16.00 on Thurssday. Available for collection in Lucan postoffice @ 10.30 this morning, Saturday......... Hell- I'd be damn lucky to get something delivered from somewhere else in Ireland- as fast........

Same could be said for a door number or eircode
    Same question to you about door numbers or eircode
    You would "have a problem" if it was 50 digits, or 100? if so why? the answer you give will probably be along the lines of what you asking.

If the eircode was 17 digits I would also think it ridiculous and needlessly long and begging for mistakes. Imagine having 100 houses on your road and them telling you your house number is 1847593937. What really confuses me is that a company who has to deal with all this stuff is doing it, talk about lack of foresight -or do they foresee a massive increase in addresses in Ireland sometime soon. Using letters decreases the amount needed a fair bit.

I have gotten letters intended for the house on my road with my 2 numbers in reverse, and neighbours a few digits above of below.

• Advertisement

Same question to you about door numbers or eircode

If the eircode was 17 digits I would also think it ridiculous and needlessly long and begging for mistakes. Imagine having 100 houses on your road and them telling you your house number is 1847593937. What really confuses me is that a company who has to deal with all this stuff is doing it, talk about lack of foresight -or do they foresee a massive increase in addresses in Ireland sometime soon. Using letters decreases the amount needed a fair bit.

I have gotten letters intended for the house on my road with my 2 numbers in reverse, and neighbours a few digits above of below.

If you are not happy don't use the service
    Simples

If you are not happy don't use the service
    Simples
    So would you mind if it was 100 digits, or just dodging the question like the other guy since you finally managed cop on to what the issue is :rolleyes:

Don't use the service, FFS, zooooommm

So would you mind if it was 100 digits, or just dodging the question like the other guy since you finally managed cop on to what the issue is :rolleyes:

I don't have an issue
    Number is fine with me however long it is
    I shop in eBay on a regular basis and don't give it a second thought
    Some people just like to whinge for the sake of it
    Pointless as anpost are not reading this thread

I don't have an issue
    Number is fine with me however long it is
    Fine, you can't understand it, most here thankfully seem to. No problem with a 100 digit number...
    Pointless as anpost are not reading this thread
    They would be idiots not to be researching online comments about their service, but seeing as they have a code like this maybe that are that stupid. A couple of months ago I got an private message from a company who saw my comments about a product they were promoting saying I was getting a prize -companies are of course reviewing forums, you see reps popping up quite a bit.

I brought up the unnecessarily long address issue in the parcel motel and parcel wizard threads. This was partially in hope that other companies considering such a service would see how needless it was. It would be hard for anpost to go back on it now, so I expect nothing to change. People go on about hindsight, I cannot understand how these utter morons did not have the foresight to see this issue, it is blatantly obvious.

Fine, you can't understand it, most here thankfully seem to.

They would be idiots not to be researching online comments about their service, but seeing as they have a code like this maybe that are that stupid. A couple of months ago I got an private message from a company who saw my comments about a product they were promoting saying I was getting a prize -companies are of course reviewing forums, you see reps popping up quite a bit.

I brought up the unnecessarily long address issue in the parcel motel and parcel wizard threads. This was partially in hope that other companies considering such a service would see how needless it was. It would be hard for anpost to go back on it now, so I expect nothing to change. People go on about hindsight, I cannot understand how these utter morons did not have the foresight to see this issue.

Cans or don't ?
    I understand people don't like a long number
    No idea how hey manage phone number and the like
    Just moaning for the sake of it

Aren't you the little hero saving the companies single handedly with your pearls of wisdom posted here

Send emails instead lol

I understand people don't like a long numberl
    sounds like you are contradicting yourself now. Maybe you have finally copped on.

Just checked amazon there and you would not be able to enter a 100 digit number, you know the 100 digits you claim to have no issue with...
    Just moaning for the sake of it
    utterly clueless, bit worrying really.

sounds like you are contradicting yourself now. Maybe you have finally copped on.

Just checked amazon there and you would not be able to enter a 100 digit number, you know the 100 digits you claim to have no issue with...

utterly clueless, bit worrying really.

I'm not contradicting myself
    I understand people have a problem.
    I don't, I think ther service is okay as is
    I think they are just moaners like yourself that are never happy

I'm not contradicting myself
    I understand people have a problem.
    I don't,
    Saying you do not see a problem and saying you do not have a problem with it are different things.

You said you don't have an issue if it was 100digits, that was intended as a ridiculous rhetorical question which you actually answered -at least everyone is now aware of what you are.

I had a problem with parcel wizard before as there were not enough address lines. I tried to fit 2 lines on one but there was a restriction on characters and I could not fit it.

Saying you do not see a problem and saying you do not have a problem with it are different things.

You said you don't have an issue if it was 100digits, that was intended as a ridiculous rhetorical question which you actually answered -at least everyone is now aware of what you are.

I had a problem with parcel wizard before as there were not enough address lines. I tried to fit 2 lines on one but there was a restriction on characters and I could not fit it.

Poor you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭sennah

... I brought up the unnecessarily long address issue in the parcel motel and parcel wizard threads. This was partially in hope that other companies considering such a service would see how needless it was. It would be hard for anpost to go back on it now, so I expect nothing to change ...

It would be rather simple for An Post to change over to shorter ID's... say 5 digit alpha-numeric's

First, they start issuing short ID's for all new sign-ups
    Next, they reference all the existing ID's in their database with new shortened ID's
    Last, they post out a postcard to existing users displaying their new shortened ID with a bit of explanation around it, prompts to update addresses, etc

An Post could have this done and dusted with a bit of back-office admin and a mail shot. It seems they're manually handling parcels through the service so they could stick on a reminder label to use the new ID where they see long ID's still in use

Advertisement