Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Thought that could be what happened.

If the AP number wasn't included, what happens to the parcel - thoughts? Returned to sender?

They hardly dropped if off at some random address in Hatfield?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭VG31

They usually try to identify you from the name. Of course if your name is common it may not be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭blade1

As the poster above said they would try to identify who ordered the parcel.

I've being contacted in the past to see if I had ordered something when I hadn't and asked to describe it.

So they should still be able to get it to you.

I called and they received the parcel.

It's a face cream that I've had delivered through addresspal for several years with no issue.

Now they're saying because of one of its active ingredients, it requires a prescription and they can't release it otherwise.

Anyone have experience with this?

They said customs have tightened up which was why it was never a problem up until recently.

Any thoughts? What will happen ultimately? They'll hardly dispose of it if I can't get a prescription?

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

Just an update on this.

I get a message to pay tax.

Although for some reason the people at addressPal put value of item at €20.67.

Only got hit for just over €8 which included a 3.50 handling charge.

Sometimes there is a happy ending 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

Mod- <snip> Please temper your descriptions. This is not a forum to make whatever allegations you like. Check the Charters before posting.

I ordered something from the UK as a double order item that cost 9 euros each. Both were shipped together in one package by the compan. Thr company sent both together as one shipment with DPD to the Addresspal depot. But their UK base separated the items into two separate packages so that I would be charged twice after their usual opening for customs instead of putting both items pack together in the same way as it was delivered to them. They were tiny and very light items, simply just foam cube pieces for my Simba pillow.

Not only did that so that but even though they were two identical items, they gave a very different valuation for both, valuing one at 16 euros and the other at 24 euros, despite being identical items. The first item for 16 euros is likely correct if you factor in the Addresspal shipping fee but I'm being overcharged on the other item which should also be 16.

I'm feel in being scammed by them. Anyone being in this situation and what did you do? I'm thinking of rejecting one of the items. How do you get a refund on the 6.50 they automatically took from me?

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Corvus Libros

They are very difficult to deal with. They make mistakes often and don't respond quick enough to sort it out before it is returned.

The only thing that has worked for me is to pay the charges, have it delivered, and then go through customer service to get a refund. They can take up to a month to respond to each email. Some of the CS agents don't understand some of the basics of VAT regulations and they can get shirty if you try to explain your case. Just be polite, matter-of-fact and patient. Don't bother blaming them or complaining. Jump through any stupid hoops they tell you to. (They had me send a photo of a book to someone at Revenue to get Revenue to confirm that it was indeed a book.)

I don't think it's a deliberate scam. I got all my refunds for being overcharged, so I'm up because of the times they have undercharged. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Sorry if it's been asked before, can't figure out how to search a thread anymore and scanned the last few pages, but I can't seem to find a straight answer on this...

The Addresspal site keeps mentioning that deliveries will be made to your home address but I want to get a package delivered to an post parcel locker while I'm at work. I am planning to use Addresspal when ordering (from UK) and I am wondering if I will 100% get a text from an post with delivery options where I can choose a nearby an post parcel locker? From their site FAQ's it seems like it automatically goes to your home address without options.

If anybody with experience can clarify it'd be appreciated.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

In the first post there is a link as to how it works. It says you have a few options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭glitterIsland

I bought an item online from the English Tkmaxx shop. The irish shop doesn't do online shopping. I sent the package to addresspal. I'm waiting for addresspal confirmation of delivery but hopefully that will happen soon.

Tkmaxx sell at discounted prices. It's not so much a sale as such. Their business model is skipping the middle man and selling at reduced costs (I think). I don't know how they work to be honest.

Any idea way way this will go with an post and charges? The RRP price was 42 pounds but the selling cost was 19.99 - saving 52%. Will an post take the full price of the item when it comes to calculating the charges. Hardly seems fair but it won't be too much. I am hoping they will go lower with their calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Not sure how that will work on TKMaxx but generally they tax at full retail price rather than at a discount price. It just sucks!

Let us know how you get on - I've often been tempted by TKMaxx online too so would be interested to hear your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Haners

I had the same problem. I ordered health seeds but got the message that they were a prohibited item. They requested a prepaid envelope to send them back to the shipper. Addresspal has turned into a bit of a joke. It would cost as much to send them back so using addresspal is a liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get an Amazon parcel rejected and sent back to them from addresspal Uk location?

Amazon say they can’t cancel as it’s been shipped.

Don't pay the adresspal fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Anyone had any experience getting something delivered to Addresspal US when the office is closed? They seem to have just left the package outside the door...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭aidanki

I have a small package to ship from USA to Ireland, 46dollars worth. its an ebay item, small tablet.

Fedex and UPS seem to be looking for more than 100euro to ship it.

Anyone know a better method of shipping ?

I was aware of the VAT charges before i purchased, no problem paying that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MOD: Moved to AddressPal thread

There's several products on amazon uk that are of course available in that state, but don't post to an Irish address.

What I'm looking at is Tumeric/curcumin diet supplements.

Would it be possible to route that through addresspal?

Mod: <SNIP> Again I have to ask you to read the charter. Shipping from the UK via NI to the Republic is viewed as tax evasion and is not up for discussion here.

Usually shipping supplements etc is more hassle than it's worth. Check the AddressPal prohibited articles list on their website to see what is allowed, remembering that customs may have their own view if they open it on arrival into Ireland . Addresspal will definitely open it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Sorry for the long post but it explains the situation.

Can anyone help us with this? I am not sure if I have been overcharged.

Using the companies delivery service:

If I used the companies delivery service I would pay £139.03 net for the items, vat 23% £25, £25 postage, £21.70 customs so the total would be £217.99 covert at 0.85=€259.51.

Using Address Pal(An Post)

The item was delivered the Address Pal UK address. It arrived in Ireland and then I paid 23% for the full amount plus postage from the Irish warehouse to my address.

So items £139.93(including uk vat) postage £9.90 to address pal uk= €146.07(one item not vat charged). Convert to euro €179.52

Address Pal redirection fee€6.50

Customs and admin based on value of €146.07 x23%=€33.59 admin €3.50=€37.09

Total in euros €223.11

If I use the redirection I pay UK vat as as well as the full irish vat.Do I claim back from Customs? Cannot figure out what is correct.

I know by using the companies service I have to pay irish vat as well as customs as over €150 total . Delivery is within 3/4 days. Also I am converting the full charge into euros.

Using the redirection method and it takes a few extra days delayed I pay part in charge in sterling converted into euros and the balance in euros.

If the order and delivery is under €150 then you do not pay customs of 12% but I could be wrong. Checked this out on Revenues website.

Is there another method to get these items at a lower cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Online Buying <------------------------https://www.boards.ie/categories/online-buying-auctions

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You pay the UK vat because you got it delivered to the UK, you then imported it into Ireland so you pay Irish vat.

The value you pay customs on includes delivery and the addresspal fee so you're well over €150.

The moral of the story is don't use addresspal!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Order from an EU country or be prepared to pay a whole load of charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

You won't find a company to do this.

What you're asking is illegal so it's probably somewhere like adverts if it exists you will find someone. But I doubt they will do it for cheap then either so unless it's saving a few hundred it won't be worthwhile imo as they won't have volume to offer prices like deliverme

You're also then putting your goods in the hands of a stranger

Edit: legally what you can do is attempt to claim back UK VAT I would guess. But Goodluck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

All you need to do is order from companies that deliver to Ireland, if a company won't deliver they don't want to deal with EU taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭deadybai

i have never used address pal . I’m looking to buy a tv which is is a good bit cheaper on uk sites that only deliver to the uk .

is it worth my while using address pal? I understand I will pay extra for delivery but will I get pounded by import duty as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Yes, you will be paying VAT twice. Once from the seller who is correctly charging 20% vat because as far as they are concerned it is a sale to someone in the UK (The addresspal depot), and then AddressPal will calculate vat on everything as you are bringing goods into the EU.

Say the tv is £500 euro, add on 20% vat for the UK part, brings it to £600 for the uk retailer. You are then going to have to pay 23% on top of that once the goods enter the EU.

Would Richersounds in Belfast be any use to you?

Richersounds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Hi All

I am just wondering how long after a package is delivered to the Address Pal location in NJ, that I should hear something from them?

Thanks

Advertisement