Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

ei9go wrote: »
    Who can believe this?

I changed the Post Office that I would collect from and they changed my number and will send a new card.

Seriously !!

Now have to change the number anywhere I registered the address.

Your number is the post office identifier - if you change PO, you need a new number......otherwise the parcel goes to the wrong PO. It's a pain in the bum but what can you do?

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

FanadMan wrote: »
    Your number is the post office identifier - if you change PO, you need a new number......otherwise the parcel goes to the wrong PO. It's a pain in the bum but what can you do?

I just setup another account, for my work address, and the Post Office thats closest to that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ei9go wrote: »
    Who can believe this?

I changed the Post Office that I would collect from and they changed my number and will send a new card.

Seriously !!

Now have to change the number anywhere I registered the address.

that's stupid

Spocker wrote: »
    I just setup another account, for my work address, and the Post Office thats closest to that

That's probably the easiest way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Seve OB wrote: »
    Just got text so my parcel has eventually arrived.
    Happy days, better late than never!
    But it'll have to wait till the morning.... Chrimbo party tonight straight after work :D
    now wondering if I am going to be hit with oversize fees!! :(

I got an email telling me my parcel is oversized, so if you're being told to collect from the post office you may have gotten away with it.

At €25 for oversized items I won't be using Addresspal again even if the item is going to be undersized.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Garrett68

Have tried this out also and the first time (tiny package) it was ok. Post office times are not as convenient as ParcelMotel, but I guess that depends on your proximity to either.

Second time my parcel was well within weight but they contacted me saying it was oversized (their size limits seem much tighter than I was used to with PM).

So I have to head off to a parcel office (inconvenient) and pay a hefty €25. I've had very large items with Parcelmotel and they brought them to the door for €14.95.

So no contest in future for me.

If you try it out - try to check your sizes and weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was an AddressPal representative on Newstalk Business Breakfast this morning. He mentioned that they hope to have an address in the US in the new year to facilitate ordering from American sites. There was no mention of how duties would be dealt with but he did say it would not be much more expensive than the current product.
    I imagine it could be made a lot cheaper to buy from the US if it is done right.

If you buy and item for $50 with $50 shipping you pay VAT on the shipping. If it is $50 and $5 shipping to the US depot then I imagine they could bring it over here and you end up just paying VAT on either just the $50, the $55, or the $55 and some other nominal fee they have to say it costed to transport to Ireland. But I reckon they could find some loophole to be charging a fee.

However if its the same shower of morons who came up with the current AP implementation I would not hold out much hope. I thought the excessively long address, and stupidly long ID code was bad enough, but now I read of the new ID when you change post office. Laughable stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

All missing items turned up this afternoon- all at least a week after they were signed for in St. Albans- and one item 11 days after it was signed for.

Alls well that ends well- they just appear to be delayed at the moment........

Have a few more orders due in next week (Santa Claus is shopping online this year........)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

A US address would make this very worthwhile, but as long as they are restricted by Post Office hours, they're doing themselves out of huge amounts of business.

Lockers at the offices would be a massive benefit, and is something they really should consider. Not everyone (people with shared drives, in apartments, etc.) has the option of delivery box, and getting to the office during office hours just isn't practical for everyone, either.

With all the plans to close post offices, I really can't see them paying to install lockers. Would be a great idea though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

With all the plans to close post offices, I really can't see them paying to install lockers. Would be a great idea though.

Surely lockers would be a good way to reduce some of the pain of closed post offices. Deutsche Post, the German equivalent of An Post has long had Parcel Motel style lockers that are also almost basically automated post offices.

Not only can you pick up and send packages, but you can buy and print stamps and postage on them, send letters, weight packages, etc. They have a full credit and debit card facilities.

They mightn't be able to put it where the old post office was, but I'm sure they could find a local shop or garage where they could put it, just like parcel motel does.

Sure, it doesn't help the really elderly customers, but that is where a post bus type service visiting a village once a week comes in. But at least a locker like this would give an almost 24/7 post office type service to the younger people in the village. In fact for many it would actually be an upgrade from the post office with their terrible opening hours.

So picked up my parcel and thankfully no oversized charge. I hadn't even twigged that possibility. My box was fairly large so I must check the dimensions when I get home.

It turns out the supplier never put my AP number on the parcel......

Now I can handle the delays etc especially as there was no AP number on it, but I could have told them they had my parcel and even the time they signed for it. it would have been a lot easier for them! They just don't seem to be well organised

They just don't seem to be well organised

+1

It is a great service- but it really isn't the most customer friendly- if they registered all of us for the system (as they have done)- they should be able to ascribe an owner to a package, even if it doesn't have their ridiculous AP code on it.........

Whoever came up with the whole AP system- seriously should sit down with some of the larger private users of the system and get our feedback on it- and modify it accordingly...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

that's stupid

It seems that the four digit code after 19C is the Post Office Code so if you change Post offices that changes but the rest of the number remains the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Assuming everyone's address is the same on AddressPal, is Herts in the region of Hertfordshire?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Assuming everyone's address is the same on AddressPal, is Herts in the region of Hertfordshire?

yeah thats the one!

I don't even have Herts in my address -
    Air Business, Unit 5, The Merlin Centre
    Acrewood Way, St Albans AL4 0JY
    United Kingdom

Once you have the post code, that identifies the town/county.

Depp wrote: »
    yeah thats the one!
    Another question sorry. Under the name on the card there's a long code with letters and numbers, do I need to include it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Another question sorry. Under the name on the card there's a long code with letters and numbers, do I need to include it?

ive had senders forget to include it and still had parcels arrive so technically you could go without it but its a lot of hassle and time for them to figure out who its for without it...its the number that they use to identify who the parcel is for

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yes. One of the most essential bits to include.

• Advertisement

Final question. For Paypal it asks what City, so what city is Hertfordshire in?

Final question. For Paypal it asks what City, so what city is Hertfordshire in?

Hertfordshire is the county - St Albans is the city.

Name
    AP Code
    United Kingdom

That will fit in Amazon and PayPal.

Hertfordshire is the county - St Albans is the city.

Name
    AP Code
    United Kingdom

That will fit in Amazon and PayPal.
    I put in Hertfordshire as the city but St. Albans was in the address at some point so I'm sure it'll be grand. Thanks very much for the help, I've had AddressPal since it came out but I've only used it for the first time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

I'm going demented

The state and zip code you provided do not match. is the error message I am getting on amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

loopymum wrote: »
    I'm going demented

The state and zip code you provided do not match. is the error message I am getting on amazon

Do Amazon.CO.UK refer to a state and zip code?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Aokay

Has anyone ever ordered a power bank and had it delivered to your AddressPal address? It's my only option as AddressPal offers a UK mainland address.

Aokay wrote: »
    Has anyone ever ordered a power bank and had it delivered to your AddressPal address? It's my only option as AddressPal offers a UK mainland address.

Yup. And even though they are on the prohibited list, it worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Aokay

Yup. And even though they are on the prohibited list, it worked fine.

Thanks dude. That's put my mind at ease. I previously ordered the same power bank and had it delivered to a friend in the UK who sent it to me and it was seized. No refund, letter, nothing. They didn't even acknowledge they had the parcel. Should have gone with AddressPal from the beginning. Hopefully everything works out smoothly.

I've had a powerbank sent here directly by Amazon- never mind via Addresspal. It is on the banned list- but I don't think Amazon, An Post or anyone else, really give a hoot.

• Advertisement

Thanks dude. That's put my mind at ease. I previously ordered the same power bank and had it delivered to a friend in the UK who sent it to me and it was seized. No refund, letter, nothing. They didn't even acknowledge they had the parcel. Should have gone with AddressPal from the beginning. Hopefully everything works out smoothly.

if this was sent by recorded post or courier would you not be entitled to claim against the handler for loosing your mail? If you got no notice, how do you know it was seized as opposed to lost?

Advertisement