Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

ED E wrote: »

http://pca.st/8BZ0
    Retailer on Joe Duffy today moaning that AP are encouraging UK shopping.... :rolleyes:
    He has a very valid point.
    A State backed company paid for by his taxes are providing a service that allows people to avoid paying for the items in his store that have Irish tax added to them.
    If he did not have to pay for them, he may be able to price his stock more competitively.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

ED E wrote: »
    Parcel Motel will refund these if you ask nicely.

http://pca.st/8BZ0
    Retailer on Joe Duffy today moaning that AP are encouraging UK shopping.... :rolleyes:

I can understand where he's coming from but to use an item I've on the way, its a t-shirt that retails for between 45-50 euro in stores here, got it for just under 27 euros from the uk, I do my best to be loyal to irish stores but its only possible to a point, sometimes the price difference is outrageous, and the selection of items available is a lot better.

Also think this guys point is a bit ridiculous, the ''government'' arent forcing anyone to buy from the uk...they're simply offering a service thats there already people will use anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Suckit wrote: »
    He has a very valid point.
    A State backed company paid for by his taxes are providing a service that allows people to avoid paying for the items in his store that have Irish tax added to them.
    If he did not have to pay for them, he may be able to price his stock more competitively.

They addressed this aspect- they are to become a fully commercial entity- and charge commercial rates for postage etc. They have already applied to the regulator to remove the cap on postage for letters- and indicated that it *has* to increase to the EU average price of 98c a letter with immediate effect (we've actually got the second lowest postage rates in Europe, whether people understand that or not........)

Sure- taxes leave the country when people purchase goods from abroad- however, think of the Irish people employed in delivering them alongside all the downstream employment created. Also- its a false assumption that AP/PM purchases are displacing local expenditure- in a lot of cases, items purchased from abroad are items people might not otherwise purchase- we're not necessarily going to buy a product in the Irish market to replace the foregone opportunity to buy one in the UK (or elsewhere).

People seem to forget- we are a small open economy- utterly dependent on our trade with the outside world.

Further- we have massive trade surpluses with the countries we import from- our top 3 import countries being- 1) The US, 2) The UK and 3) France (they are also among our top 5 export countries- however, Belgium and Switzerland occupy places 2 and 3 respectively).

There has been an explosion of online purchases this year in particular- which has caught An Post, DPD and the other companies, entirely by surprise. They thought they were preparing for the avalanche of packages coming in- however, the actual volume is so far off the scale of what they imagined, that they are quite simply swamped.

I fully accept that there are taxes not accruing to the Irish exchequer that might do so- however, I also imagine that the substitution effect that the trader is implying- quite simply does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jumbells

Update on my situation. I got speaking to the Manager for Address Pal in Air Business. The guys name is <SNIP>. I told him the situation that I had ordered 4 items on the 25th & 26th of November and received 3 of them. The item I didn't receive was a Laptop which cost me £302 GBP and which was delivery to Air Business by Hermes and was signed for on the 28th of November.

He then said I will check here and see if there is a laptop. He came back to me honestly less then 10 seconds later and said there was no laptop here waiting to be delivered. Because you know Kevin must have X-ray vision and the speed of the flash.

I then said but the tracking shows that it was delivered. To which his response was the delivery company must have doctored it and he said a lot of delivery companies doctor tracking. I blew up on him after this.

I have no idea what to do now. This is a Xmas present for a college student and I simply don't have the cash to replace it and I bought this on Black Friday at a much reduced price. An post don't want to help and just give me the number to contact that idiot manager. I even asked the An Post customer service agent to lodge a complaint or put me on to a manager at An Post and the agent just said he wouldn't have the resources to do that.

I advise everyone to avoid Address Pal. Use Parcel Motel Or Parcel Wizard or just don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

Sorry if this has been answered before but what do you enter for Adress Pal for Amazon UK
    Address Line 1:
    Address Line 2:
    Town/City:
    County:
    Postcode:

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

spasmaster wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been answered before but what do you enter for Adress Pal for Amazon UK
    Address Line 1:
    Address Line 2:
    Town/City:
    County:
    Postcode:

Cheers.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101678921&postcount=585

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

98c a letter with immediate effect (we've actually got the second lowest postage rates in Europe, whether people understand that or not........)

France have the option of an 80 c (85 c from January) postage stamp for up to 22 g letters, and then if your post is 22 g and over to 100 g or so it's 1.40 euros I think.

Sorry for the OT post, I just dislike when things are not clear.

For a customer sending Christmas cards for example, France would be cheaper than Ireland if "up to 100 g" stamp cost is increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

France have the option of an 80 c (85 c from January) postage stamp for up to 22 g letters, and then if your post is 22 g and over to 100 g or so it's 1.40 euros I think.

Sorry for the OT post, I just dislike when things are not clear.

For a customer sending Christmas cards for example, France would be cheaper than Ireland if "up to 100 g" stamp cost is increased.

You managed to find out about the 80 c rate. But you then said the weight limit is 22 g when it is in fact 20 g. And you did not check the 100 g rate which is in fact €1.60 (soon to be €1.75) not €1.40. Not the most useful effort from someone who dislikes things not being clear.

Weigh any of the Christmas cards you get this year, or any you intend to send. I don't think you will find too many under 20 g.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

You managed to find out about the 80 c rate. But you then said the weight limit is 22 g when it is in fact 20 g. And you did not check the 100 g rate which is in fact €1.60 (soon to be €1.75) not €1.40. Not the most useful effort from someone who dislikes things not being clear.

Weigh any of the Christmas cards you get this year, or any you intend to send. I don't think you will find too many under 20 g.

I said I liked things to be clear, not necessarily precise :)
    I apologize for the 2 g and 20 cents, I have a terrible head for numbers and an appalling lack of motivation in the middle of the night for double checking.

I am French and I find that in Ireland, when comparisons are drawn with other European countries (or let's just say France since that's the one I know best) they are often disingenuous.

French people have an option to pay less for less weight, I don't think it is right to omit this from a comparison.

I did weigh a Christmas card and I also weighed 2 standard letters I received that have not been opened yet, so anyone interested can judge if it is indeed worthless.

I won't embed as this is OT. The Christmas card and envelope weigh 13 g, standard long letter weighs 15 g, and standard bigger format letter (Eircom bill/bank statement size) weighs 19 g.

To go back to AddressPal, I agree with The_Conductor's other points btw, and I happily collected another 3 AP parcels this week with no hiccups.

I have my AP number on 2 lines in my Amazon and Ebay addresses, once beside my name, and once at the start of the address. Just to be sure to be sure, as Amazon in particular seems to take the initiative in removing lines once in a while, and Ebay sellers do not necessarily understand how important the AP number is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Mod: please keep to the subject, addresspal comments/issues only

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,266 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hi folks, do address pal generally notify you when they have your parcel in the UK or do you not get notified until it's in your local post office?

I know they received my parcel on Friday morning from FedEx's tracking but I haven't received any word from Address pal themselves yet.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hi folks, do address pal generally notify you when they have your parcel in the UK or do you not get notified until it's in your local post office?

I know they received my parcel on Friday morning from FedEx's tracking but I haven't received any word from Address pal themselves yet.

Thanks.

Post office.
    Give yourself till next Friday

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,266 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cheer,s I hadn't used them before so wasn't sure of the process. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

Mickeroo wrote: »

Thanks.

You may know by the seller that the package was delivered to the UK address, but you're only notified once the package arrives to the selected post office.

had something delivered to addresspal on thursday, got notification it was available for collection today, so much for christmas delays!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Think at this time of year An Post employ more staff so once the parcels arrive in Ireland, they are probably being delivered to the post offices quicker.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just got an e-mail and a txt literally 2 minutes ago to say my latest parcel is awaiting collection- didn't know they worked this late!

Just got an e-mail and a txt literally 2 minutes ago to say my latest parcel is awaiting collection- didn't know they worked this late!

aye got similar, thought it was very late to be getting it alright, just after the post office closes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Everything seems to be back on track...got parcel delivered on Thursday got text to collect this evening...so that was pretty quick turn around...backlog must be cleared and the initial xmas rush over...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Trying to order from zavvi.com
    They wont deliver to Ireland so I iused my addresspal adress

Got this reply
    Hello ,

Thank you for placing order
    with us.

I am sorry to let you know that we are currently unable to deliver orders to Mail Forwarding addresses. Because of this we have cancelled your order, but you can place this order again if you have an alternative delivery address.

Frustrating as **** and I seem to be out of options

Trying to order from zavvi.com
    They wont deliver to Ireland so I iused my addresspal adress

Got this reply

Frustrating as **** and I seem to be out of options
    That's a ****ing pain ...what difference would it make to them once the item was delivered and signed for at a uk address... have you tried Parcel motel address?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

harr wrote: »
    That's a ****ing pain ...what difference would it make to them once the item was delivered and signed for at a uk address... have you tried Parcel motel address?

Nope but Im assuming it will be the same issue as they know from the first line of the address that its a postage forwarding place.
    Cant understand for the life of me why a company is turning down good money

Nope but Im assuming it will be the same issue as they know from the first line of the address that its a postage forwarding place.
    Cant understand for the life of me why a company is turning down good money
    How soon after placing your order did they cancel it ...I tried something small about an hour ago and has gone through and payment taken ...I put the postcode in and let it find addresse automatically then added my number manually...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jamerican

I'm waiting almost three weeks for my package. I have emailed, called and left my details with numerous people, all promising to get right back to me and I never hear from them again. I have confirmation the package was delivered and no response from address pal. This is my first and last time using this service, never again. Parcel wizard/ motel from here on out.

NOTE: An Post and addresspal operate seperately, so an post staff can't do anything more than see if your package is in your local hub. They don't have access to address Pal records or info. So, if your stuff goes missing, you're at the mercy of address pal to acknowledge your quiry. [/SIZE]
    Jumbells wrote: »
    Update on my situation. I got speaking to the Manager for Address Pal in Air Business. The guys name is <SNIP>. I told him the situation that I had ordered 4 items on the 25th & 26th of November and received 3 of them. The item I didn't receive was a Laptop which cost me £302 GBP and which was delivery to Air Business by Hermes and was signed for on the 28th of November.

He then said I will check here and see if there is a laptop. He came back to me honestly less then 10 seconds later and said there was no laptop here waiting to be delivered. Because you know Kevin must have X-ray vision and the speed of the flash.

I then said but the tracking shows that it was delivered. To which his response was the delivery company must have doctored it and he said a lot of delivery companies doctor tracking. I blew up on him after this.

I have no idea what to do now. This is a Xmas present for a college student and I simply don't have the cash to replace it and I bought this on Black Friday at a much reduced price. An post don't want to help and just give me the number to contact that idiot manager. I even asked the An Post customer service agent to lodge a complaint or put me on to a manager at An Post and the agent just said he wouldn't have the resources to do that.

I advise everyone to avoid Address Pal. Use Parcel Motel Or Parcel Wizard or just don't.

Did you get anywhere with your issue? I was told we could file a claim (but of course I won't need to do that because "I'm sure it's in the warehouse somewhere")

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

An Post have a Facebook. They usually respond pretty well to public posts there, if you are desparate that's the way to go, as they don't like complaints.

Jamerican wrote: »
    Did you get anywhere with your issue? I was told we could file a claim (but of course I won't need to do that because "I'm sure it's in the warehouse somewhere")

Hi, no my issue has not been solved at all. An post told me to email asking them to elevate it to a claim and include all relevant details. Which I did and received no reply again. And I don't have much hope as the An Post customer service agent said Address Pal will only cover up to €40 which is disgraceful. It does say in there FAQ that all items are handled securely.

I will try their Facebook as the other poster suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Jumbells wrote: »
    Hi, no my issue has not been solved at all. An post told me to email asking them to elevate it to a claim and include all relevant details. Which I did and received no reply again. And I don't have much hope as the An Post customer service agent said Address Pal will only cover up to €40 which is disgraceful. It does say in there FAQ that all items are handled securely.

I will try their Facebook as the other poster suggested.

I wonder will you even get the €40. Their FAQ say its not insured

15. Is the item insured
    No, your item is not insured. All AddressPal items are handled securely.

Although their terms and conditions say

7. Limitation of Liability - Direct Losses
    Without prejudice to conditions 6, 8 and 9 the liability of An Post for any physical loss or damage to the Item is limited to the lesser of:

(i)the amount of loss or damage actually sustained.
    (ii)€40. An Post is not in any event liable in excess of these amounts.

Seems a bit of a contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

15. Is the item insured

Without prejudice to conditions 6, 8 and 9 the liability of An Post for any physical loss or damage to the Item is limited to the lesser of:

Big contradiction alright

• Advertisement

15. Is the item insured

The An Post customer service agent did say there are special circumstances where the full amount may be covered.

Advertisement