Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Got it too, guess lots of people have trouble figuring out how to format that ridiculous addresspal address

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Both Parcel Wizard and Parcel Motel customers have received the same mails, so its not limited to Address Pal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Kamili wrote: »
    Both Parcel Wizard and Parcel Motel customers have received the same mails, so its not limited to Address Pal.

Didn't get one from PM myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Seems they've changed part of the address from

Air Business
    Unit 5, The Merlin Centre

to

Air Business AP,
    4 The Merlin Centre,

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CHATTERATI

I started using this service recently and was happy with it and used it regularly for parcels from the UK. Then I fell foul of the oversize parcel rule and couldn't just have the parcel returned as i really needed it. I had a parcel that was MARGINALLY bigger on one side (so the length and width of the box were well below the max allowed but the depth measurement was over). the weight was 6kg and you're allowed 20kg so that was ok too. i got hit with a 25 euro penalty which i was instructed had to be paid in cash as they had no card machine. I was asked to sign a form that showed the amount paid which they kept and there was no receipt given. when i asked for a receipt they said they didn't issue receipts and i could have a copy of the form I signed instead so i took that.
    Really An Post this is not OK. Get a card machine and put in place a proper process for taking cash payments and issuing receipts.
    Needless to say i won't be using AddressPal for any future deliveries and have redirected my orders through other couriers. Its a shame really as the service quite suited me but my suppliers don't always give the dimensions of the box so its not worth the risk of the huge penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

CHATTERATI wrote: »
    I started using this service recently and was happy with it and used it regularly for parcels from the UK. Then I fell foul of the oversize parcel rule and couldn't just have the parcel returned as i really needed it. I had a parcel that was MARGINALLY bigger on one side (so the length and width of the box were well below the max allowed but the depth measurement was over). the weight was 6kg and you're allowed 20kg so that was ok too. i got hit with a 25 euro penalty which i was instructed had to be paid in cash as they had no card machine. I was asked to sign a form that showed the amount paid which they kept and there was no receipt given. when i asked for a receipt they said they didn't issue receipts and i could have a copy of the form I signed instead so i took that.
    Really An Post this is not OK. Get a card machine and put in place a proper process for taking cash payments and issuing receipts.
    Needless to say i won't be using AddressPal for any future deliveries and have redirected my orders through other couriers. Its a shame really as the service quite suited me but my suppliers don't always give the dimensions of the box so its not worth the risk of the huge penalty.

Yep; it's an indication of the bone-headedness of some in the AP service that they utterly failed in this. Other carriers I've used have a size limit, but it often mentions a cubic quantity or a multiplier of size x weight in some fashion, so that you have some idea what is likely to be carried or not, or cost you a lot in extra charges.
    The sudden, and abitrary, change to being penalised a swingeing extra €20 for something over which you have no control is just wrong-headed and idiotic.
    The brain-dead 16-digit customer number is a doozie, and always has been. There is no sign of them changing it, so I suspect that somebody in AP has dug their heels in over this, or is in an unmoveable position.
    The total failure to foresee theft as a factor in some of the feeder courier companies on the UK side of the operation is more understandable, but bespeaks a total naivete on the part of the planning on this side.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Spocker wrote: »
    Looks like Address Pal is becoming a problem for Amazon, just got this mail:

It's farcical.....

I have a parcel missing for almost a month now and I have been asked a dozen times via email and on the phone if I put the full AddressPal address and no matter how many times I tell them that I did, they keep on asking me am I sure..... insinuating that I am lying to them.

So what I did was I screencapped the 'Dispatched Email' from Ebay which includes the full shipping address and so now they have at least stopped asking me about it.

That's Ebay of course but I imagine it's the same story with Amazon and An Post have got on to them telling them that they need to email us and make it clear to us that we need to use the full address.............. thereby assuming that we don't. Saves them having to take responsibility for the lost items themselves you see..... much easier to blame the customers for not letting sellers and business know the full AP address that accept that they have an internal problem.

Not that I don't think the number is cumbersome and is being left off parcels.... it sure is, but that's not our fault.

They have two issues: 1) the number is too damn long and 2) when parcels are showing up without the full number, some of them are going awol and they can't trace them.

My advice to anyone using the service is sceencap any emails you get from Amazon or Ebay with shipping address just in case they try and blame you for either the parcel not showing up or the seller / business not using the full address.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Didn't realise that addresspal now includes USA deliveries 'from' €15.99.

Edit: AND now do home deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/faq
    How are AddressPal USA items dealt with for Customs purposes
    All AddressPal items received into our USA hub will need to be prepared with the appropriate customs information for carriage
    We will complete the relevant forms for you based on the information on the invoice with your item
    If there is no invoice available, we will contact you asking for confirmation of what the item is and its value
    We will apply the relevant customs form to your item before it leaves the USA
    Upon arrival in Ireland, AddressPal items are, like all inbound international items, subject to Customs checks
    If Customs apply a customs charge on your item, An Post?s normal custom collection procedure will apply

rubadub wrote: »

Excellent stuff.
    I see they've got rid of the stupid-long number on the Home Delivery service and the lower rates are very attractive for a lot of smaller stuff that sellers just won't send overseas or charge stupid rates to do so.

Looks like the smarter ones in AP won out in the end :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The US thing is not clear to me at all, they need to give examples of typical things.

e.g. it seems if customs are due they are going to do it the usual an post way, so that would mean an additional ?7 admin fee on top. Maybe this is not the case though.

Also is the valuation by customs here going to include the addresspal fees, if it does the items are more likely to be caught, and then have VAT on that fee too.

When I first heard of the US thing I was hoping they would have some clever way to avoid this.

15.99 is not cheap, but many places with "free postage" in the US have ludicrous international fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Been a month now since they signed for a lost my parcel (a Samsung S6 Edge which was consistently the most valuable item I have used them for).

Hadn't heard from them in a week and so asked them today what is happening with regards to the investigation the said was in process and they just replied back:
    Good afternoon,

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Unfortunately, it is taking so long because my colleagues had to process a lot of claims and our Irish team still needs to do some paperwork

"A lot of claims" they say and subtlety suggest the Irish team are dragging their feet but yet when I phone An Post they say that it is St Alban's that they are struggling to communicate with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I collected a parcel & it had a big AnPost sticker saying that the item didn't have my complete name & AP account number & that I should ensure that items were correctly addressed.

The sender had missed out my first name & just put the initial - perfectly normal. They also just put Pal instead of Address Pal. But my surname, account number & the rest of the address were fine.:cool:

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

degsie wrote: »
    Didn't realise that addresspal now includes USA deliveries 'from' €15.99.

Edit: AND now do home deliveries.

Hmm, but the catch seems to be that you *have* to sign up for the Home Delivery product to be able to avail of the US service, and this activates Home Delivery for UK parcels too, with a new minimum cost of €5.99 :/

Hmm, but the catch seems to be that you *have* to sign up for the Home Delivery product to be able to avail of the US service, and this activates Home Delivery for UK parcels too, with a new minimum cost of ?5.99 :/

Only if you want it. I still have the option of PO local office pick-up.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Only if you want it. I still have the option of PO local office pick-up.

Yep, me too, but only for UK deliveries. If you want to get both, then you have to switch for Home Delivery, for the higher price

Not sure what you mean. I still have the option of the local pick-up for the old price, with none of the weight categories.
    Still €3.75 for local PO pick-up by me.
    https://addresspal.anpost.ie/pricing-sizing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] If you want to get both, [...]

...set yourself up another AP account. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What I don't get is, why would anyone go for home delivery for 5.99 when DPD will do it and do it quicker,for 3.85?
    I know I know an actual English address, but I have never had a problem with the DPD Antrim address.

I would have been very interested if they kept the price the same.

blade1 wrote: »
    What I don't get is, why would anyone go for home delivery for 5.99 when DPD will do it and do it quicker,for 3.85?
    I know I know an actual English address, but I have never had a problem with the DPD Antrim address.

That's the thing, though; occasionally I come across a seller who won't send to NI, either through sheer bloody-mindedness (which does happen) or their postage/ courier deal won't allow it at a reasonable price. If it's something I must have, the AP option is handy, and I get the feeling of getting one over on the bloody-minded ones :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

blade1 wrote: »

All couriers have some crap drivers. If your route has a right knob you might opt for a different company.

Other than that, no reason to.

That's the thing, though; occasionally I come across a seller who won't send to NI, either through sheer bloody-mindedness (which does happen) or their postage/ courier deal won't allow it at a reasonable price. If it's something I must have, the AP option is handy, and I get the feeling of getting one over on the bloody-minded ones :)

As I said I never had a problem and I have deliveries 3 or 4 times a week.
    If a seller won't ship to N.Ireland, just buy it from a different seller.
    If it's a one off item, I'd use it but that would be an extremely rare case for me so at a guess 99.9% of my business will be going to DPD.

Btw, DPD used to be, along with DHL,imo the worst couriers for me.
    DPD have been great lately.
    Hope they keep it up.
    Never had an issue with Address pal and would have no problem using the pick up at p.o. method, but getting it delivered to my house for now is handier for me but I won't be paying 5.99.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ditto- 'mainland UK only' - no channel islands, isle of man, NI or elsewhere........
    Its more common than most people realise.:(

Ditto- 'mainland UK only' - no channel islands, isle of man, NI or elsewhere........
    Its more common than most people realise.:(

If most people don't realise it, it's because it's not an issue for them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

offering uk to your home address now ,instead of your chosen post office, and usa to your chosen address, you get a us address same as st albans formatt, no option of usa to local post office,same sizes as before,same weight, 15.99 from usa 0-2 kg 2-5kg is 20.99 , to your door . not sure if thats a good deal, but for stuff that does not usually ship out of the usa i guess its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

offering uk to your home address now ,instead of your chosen post office, and usa to your chosen address, you get a us address same as st albans formatt, no option of usa to local post office,same sizes as before,same weight, 15.99 from usa 0-2 kg 2-5kg is 20.99 , to your door . not sure if thats a good deal, but for stuff that does not usually ship out of the usa i guess its good.

where is there more info about the usa option? that would be a game-changer for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Depp wrote: »

where is there more info about the usa option? that would be a game-changer for me!

It's all on the addresspal website now all details about new usa service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McLoughlin wrote: »
    It's all on the addresspal website now all details about new usa service

How do I get my usa address cant seem to find an option for it!

Edit: just realised I need to update my account with card details, will be using this later in the week will let yee know how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Got a letter today telling me about it,so I added my card details for future payments ,then got a email telling me I've another adp card on the way to me,will be my 3rd card for same account,bit silly

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 MyLove_J

I've been using addresspal for over a year now but not very often. There is no parcel motel located near to me. The nearest is in the city. On the rare occasion I used I always found it difficult to organise time to get in. So I find addresspal very handy. It cuts out a lot of stress. I ordered something last week from the UK on the Monday. The site I used had a comment section about your order so I used that to say that I'm using a parcel forwarding service onto Ireland and it's very important to include the digit beginning with AP in the address. No problems whatsoever. So that was on Monday afternoon. On Thursday, I got an email to tell me my parcel was in the local post office. I was delighted.

I have a few more bits ordered this week through addresspal. I doubt I will be so lucky to get them before the end of the week this time around but we'll see.

dt find addresspal is very and handy.

Advertisement