Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

MyLove_J wrote: »
    [...] The site I used had a comment section about your order so I used that to say that I'm using a parcel forwarding service onto Ireland and it's very important to include the digit beginning with AP in the address. [...]

Be aware - some sellers may reject your order for that very reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 MyLove_J

joujoujou wrote: »
    Be aware - some sellers may reject your order for that very reason.

Really? I never knew that and it's such a pity really. I had a problem last summer when something I ordered and used addresspal took forever to arrive. The 16 digit code was left out from my address. Through no fault of my own, may I add. I included it in the shipping details/address. To work around it, I started including a note in comment section. I thought that would get around things really. I don't usually buy from amazon or eBay and it's usually special interest shops like llingerie, craft and hobby shops and more recently a dental shop and so far so good. I didn't get any order turned down.

I'm waiting on two packages. I ordered last weekend on June the 18th and 19th. Despatched on Tuesday morning by courier. There's no tracking information on either because that option was nearly 12 pounds so I went with cheaper alternative of 3.95.

The details on the site I ordered from says your package should arrive by no later than 48 hours after despatch. I would take 48 hours as two working days instead of exactly 48 hours. Despatch on Tuesday morning. The rest of Tuesday I would have considered as one day and Wednesday the second day. I suspect my packages would arrive at the depot for no later than Wednesday evening of last week.

I would have expected a notification this morning from addresspal but there's nothing.

I checked on Google maps the location of the shop I ordered from and with Google directions, it's a three hour drive to St.Albans so I would suspect my orders would have been delivered by Wednesday evening.

Just after checking my email and I got a notification. I'm waiting on two packages. Hopefully the next one will arrive within the next day or two. I put in two orders with the one shop so it's possible they sent it all together although I doubt it. I got two despatch emails. Going to pop down to the post office and see what's happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

if there is no tracking the po wont have a fcuks notion whats happening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Now also accepting US orders!!!

We have expanded our AddressPal service, you can now shop USA and UK websites with tracked delivery right to your door. No more “sorry we don’t deliver to Ireland” messages ruining your chance for a bargain from the USA.

Visit AddressPal.ie to upgrade your AddressPal card.

There are 2 distinct sides to the new AddressPal card, “Deliver Direct to My Address” and “Deliver to My Post Office”. You simply enter the appropriate AddressPal number and delivery address of the service you wish to use when purchasing online.

AddressPal Upgrade at AddressPal.ie
    AddressPal Receive your unique UK & USA AddressPal addresses
    AddressPal Shop 'till you drop
    AddressPal Receive notification when your item arrives
    AddressPal Have your item delivered to your registered address
    or
    AddressPal Collect at your nominated Post Office*
    *UK deliveries only

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

By the looks of the sample new card.... they've listened to feedback and will be finally issuing shorter AP numbers:

APC2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

By the looks of the sample new card.... they've listened to feedback and will be finally issuing shorter AP numbers:

APC2.png

Short number is to your house long number still in use for post office collection

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Short number is to your house long number still in use for post office collection

Yeah, I get that but what I'm saying is that if they're issuing short numbers for this service it must because of the issues with the long ones with the standard service.

I mean there's no reason why they would need a long number to collect in a PO but a short one will do fine for forwarding on to you address.

Both are technically forwarding services at the end of the day.

I'd say it's only a matter of time now before they scrap the long numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

APC2.png

What's the point of the card if delivering to your home address? Is it required for validation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

degsie wrote: »
    What's the point of the card if delivering to your home address? Is it required for validation?

Isn't it so you don't forget your AP address?

my3cents wrote: »
    Isn't it so you don't forget your AP address?

I always assumed most folk would keep the address on their phone or computer, no harm having a card stuck to the fridge door I suppose.

The card is handy to hand a member of An Post so they can go and look for your parcel rather than require them to write it down.

Well, in the GPO they always take my card off me when I'm collecting stuff anyway.

The card is handy to hand a member of An Post so they can go and look for your parcel rather than require them to write it down.

Well, in the GPO they always take my card off me when I'm collecting stuff anyway.

I was thinking more in terms of home delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

I buy from US a bit on eBay and pay customs on the eBay site.

What's the story with customs now that I'll be using a US address?

Obviously I'll still have to pay it but how?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

keano25 wrote: »
    I buy from US a bit on eBay and pay customs on the eBay site.

What's the story with customs now that I'll be using a US address?

Obviously I'll still have to pay it but how?

Pay it to anPost instead and then add €10 for the admin fee.

Probably cheaper to ship it directly and use Ebays GSP. Even if shipping is €20 itll come out cheaper.

How can I work out what an post will charge for customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

(Item Price + US Shipping + Address Pal fee) x 0.21 + E10.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ED E wrote: »
    (Item Price + US Shipping + Address Pal fee) x 0.21 + E10.

that is still not clear to me. I am still hoping VAT will not be on the AP fee, and fingers extra crossed there would not be another €10 on top. Nobody has posted about using it yet, their site should really have examples of what to expect, or even a calculator. (VAT is currently 23% too)

Or did you see it spelt out like that somewhere else?

• Advertisement

€110 + Free US shipping + €15.99 x 23% + €10 = 164.96.

Does that look right?

keano25 wrote: »
    €110 + Free US shipping + €15.99 x 23% + €10 = 164.96.

Does that look right?

Same item bought through eBay's global shipping program is coming in at €163.81. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

In my several years shopping online i've never paid any customs on dvds and video games bought on Ebay from America, so would be odd in an post started charging me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

McLoughlin wrote: »
    In my several years shopping online i've never paid any customs on dvds and video games bought on Ebay from America, so would be odd in an post started charging me

iirc the limit is €22 under that (item + P&P) there is no charge but over that and stuff gets randomly stopped. Son had one item that should have been stopped today and a letter saying he has to provide information as to the value and shipping costs of another for customs.

I'd guess about one in four get stopped but may also depend where it comes from most of my sons stuff comes from Japan.

In case anyone is interested my claim for the lost parcel which was delivered by Royal Mail and signed for in St Alban's on May 19th (and which they admit they lost long ago) has still not been resolved.

For weeks An Post blamed St Albans and St Albans blamed An Post.

Still I am told it's being "processed". God forbid these people lose any of your parcels.

A TV I purchased was damaged by Parcel Motel back in December but within a week they had compensated me.

Won't be using Address Pal for expensive items again and would advise others not to also.

Their staff have also been much harder to deal with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Won't be using Address Pal for expensive items again and would advise others not to also.

Their staff have also been much harder to deal with.

Use their home delivery service- full tracking and you can buy additional insurance (at a price obviously)- though it defaults to 40 Euro.

Use their home delivery service- full tracking and you can buy additional insurance (at a price obviously)- though it defaults to 40 Euro.

Remember reading about one of these services that had a low default amount and a customer brought them to the small claims court and won. Apparently these limits they set are not worth the (digital) paper they are written on and if a company loses your goods they need to reimburse you the full amount no matter what their T&Cs say.

Parcel Motel refunded me almost €200 and they have a limit of much lower than that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Remember reading about one of these services that had a low default amount and a customer brought them to the small claims court and won. Apparently these limits they set are not worth the (digital) paper they are written on and if a company loses your goods they need to reimburse you the full amount no matter what their T&Cs say.

Parcel Motel refunded me almost €200 and they have a limit of much lower than that.

You would normally have to prove wilful negligence, otherwise they would be at fault for when goods may have been badly packed, labelled etc. An Post trying to blame their own service in St Albans, though, wouldn't impress a judge.

whiterebel wrote: »
    You would normally have to prove wilful negligence, otherwise they would be at fault for when goods may have been badly packed, labelled etc. An Post trying to blame their own service in St Albans, though, wouldn't impress a judge.

Yeah, absolutely.

If it was something like that I wouldn't bother but in this case they signed for the item and then lost it.... they don't even have an idea where it is. There seem not to have any kind of internal tracking of packages at all.... other than the point at which they receive it.

Madness considering the many different points from that happening and it arriving at whatever Post Office you have chosen to collect it at.

• Advertisement

There seem not to have any kind of internal tracking of packages at all.... other than the point at which they receive it

Highly improbable given that the package has to make it to a specific location.

Advertisement