Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

degsie wrote: »
    Highly improbable given that the package has to make it to a specific location.

AddressPal items don't need to be tracked in order to get to a specfic post office no more than a post card has to be tracked in order to get to a specific address here.

I have been dealing with these people since May 19th and both have blamed one another on the parcel going missing and neither can tell me at which point it went missing.

They all know that the last time it was tracked was in St Alban's when it was delivered by Royal Mail and signed for.... if it was tracked at another location after that, then they wouldn't waste their time blaming Ireland, or An Post blaming St Alban's. The lack of tracking is why there is no way of knowing at which point it went awol.

In fact... for ten days they tried to tell me I collected the item in the GPO when I hadn't (it was a different parcel).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

AddressPal items don't need to be tracked in order to get to a specfic post office no more than a post card has to be tracked in order to get to a specific address here.

I have been dealing with these people since May 19th and both have blamed one another on the parcel going missing and neither can tell me at which point it went missing.

They all know that the last time it was tracked was in St Alban's when it was delivered by Royal Mail and signed for.... if it was tracked at another location after that, then they wouldn't waste their time blaming Ireland, or An Post blaming St Alban's. The lack of tracking is why there is no way of knowing at which point it went awol.

In fact... for ten days they tried to tell me I collected the item in the GPO when I hadn't (it was a different parcel).

Any registered item from outside Ireland is still registered item when it gets here,no matter how many stops,if it was last scanned in St Albans and never here the likely hood is it never made it here. The people here won't have a clue why ,and the people there won't admit they fcked up. It happens, probably more than mistakes are allowed for, especially with the smaller items.

I've seen uk registered items going all the way through to the local postie here unscanned unnoticed as item was small,label was in odd spot,and once it's put with standard mail in UK it does not get scanned here unless someone notices the registered item mixed with regular mail.

I've gotten a few that I've only noticed whilst standing at the person's front door myself.

System ain't perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Any registered item from outside Ireland is still registered item when it gets here,no matter how many stops,if it was last scanned in St Albans and never here the likely hood is it never made it here
    For regular mail, yes, it is scanned all the way through. But not when using AddressPal. Once it is signed for in St Albans that's the end of the tracking, because it has, in effect, been delivered to the required address

Take Parcel Motel, for example. Send a registered item to them, and they sign for it. That's the end of the tracking as far as Royal Mail are concerned. From there, PM have their own internal tracking system to track the package all the way to your motel. The problem is that AddressPal have no such internal system in place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Virtanen wrote: »
    For regular mail, yes, it is scanned all the way through. But not when using AddressPal. Once it is signed for in St Albans that's the end of the tracking, because it has, in effect, been delivered to the required address

Take Parcel Motel, for example. Send a registered item to them, and they sign for it. That's the end of the tracking as far as Royal Mail are concerned. From there, PM have their own internal tracking system to track the package all the way to your motel. The problem is that AddressPal have no such internal system in place

They would use your ap details to track it,that's how you know it arrives in Dublin,then in your local p.o. that's how you get the email/txt ,they have to be able to track it or they would not know where anyone's was,you sign to confirm you got it..if you haven't signed in Po then you haven't got it.there is a big sticker put on them with your ap number etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

They would use your ap details to track it,that's how you know it arrives in Dublin,then in your local p.o. that's how you get the email/txt ,they have to be able to track it or they would not know where anyone's was,you sign to confirm you got it..if you haven't signed in Po then you haven't got it.there is a big sticker put on them with your ap number etc

But clearly they're not, given the number of tiems going missing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

MOH wrote: »
    But clearly they're not, given the number of tiems going missing

Unless you have insider information as to An Post's internal logistics, you can't be 100% sure the're not tracking. Postal theft is one thing that will screw up any system.

It gets scanned at your local PO, which is when you get a text, but that's it. Between St Albans and your PO, there is no tracking whatsoever.
    degsie wrote: »
    Unless you have insider information as to An Post's internal logistics, you can't be 100% sure the're not tracking. Postal theft is one thing that will screw up any system.
    They have said multiple times that they don't, hence why it's so difficult to locate where something was when it goes missing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The latest advertising for the US/UK Home service- implies you have tracking the whole way though?

Yeah, it seems the new Home Delivery option is tracked alright. It's just the Collect In Your PO method that is untracked

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The latest advertising for the US/UK Home service- implies you have tracking the whole way though?

The question is are they using the UPU tracking standard or a relabelling system. The former would be far more convenient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

I have just had an item arrive at the US address. This also includes tracking, as per standard an post tracking page.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Gipo3 wrote: »
    I have just had an item arrive at the US address. This also includes tracking, as per standard an post tracking page.

Any photos of it like PM?

Be interesting to see how many different points all the route it will be tracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Gipo3 wrote: »

Be interested to hear how customs are with your item.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Be interested to hear how customs are with your item.

According to the FAQ

All AddressPal items received into our USA hub will need to be prepared with the appropriate customs information for carriage
    We will complete the relevant forms for you based on the information on the invoice with your item
    If there is no invoice available, we will contact you asking for confirmation of what the item is and its value
    We will apply the relevant customs form to your item before it leaves the USA
    Upon arrival in Ireland, AddressPal items are, like all inbound international items, subject to Customs checks
    If Customs apply a customs charge on your item, An Post’s normal custom collection procedure will apply
    For more information see http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/FAQs/PostalFAQs.htm

Think I may take out a separate UK/US account- but put my work address rather than my home address on it- to test this out. Couple of bags of jelly beans or something sounds like a reasonable thing to try out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Wow, I did not use AdressPal in a while but needed to look something up because I wanted to use it and was really surprised with the new options.

Would have been great if there would have been an announcement e-mail or something about this new services, they look very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

Wow, I did not use AdressPal in a while but needed to look something up because I wanted to use it and was really surprised with the new options.

Would have been great if there would have been an announcement e-mail or something about this new services, they look very interesting.

There was. Well, I got one about the expanded service this week anyway! From my experience of using Addresspal, I can't fault it; it has been very useful.

They did send e-mails to everyone who was/is enrolled in the service.

Copy and paste follows:

Dear Mr_Conductor,

We have expanded our AddressPal service, you can now shop USA and UK websites with tracked delivery right to your door. No more “sorry we don’t deliver to Ireland” messages ruining your chance for a bargain from the USA.

Visit AddressPal.ie to upgrade your AddressPal card.

There are 2 distinct sides to the new AddressPal card, “Deliver Direct to My Address” and “Deliver to My Post Office”. You simply enter the appropriate AddressPal number and delivery address of the service you wish to use when purchasing online.

Best Regards,
    The AddressPal team

Interesting, I did not get that mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Got new card and leaflet in post today I was surprised to learn that home delivery appears to have greater oversize limit that parcels sent to post office.

I wasn't appear of this so 5.99 home delivery instead of 25 for oversized items is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Interesting, I did not get that mail.

I didn't get it either.

When you upgrade the account you get a shorter identifier code for the delivery to address option, AP 0012345, the collect from PO still a long code APW 32B 0227 0012345. Pity they do not give us short code for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Lads, what us phone number do I use?
    eBay looking for a valid number.

If you have a google account, you could try to add https://www.google.com/voice to it, which gives you a free number. Try to get a number in Englishtown , NJ with area code 723 which would be beneficial.

If you can't go down that route, than google free us phone number for some virtual options that are out there.

If you have a google account, you could try to add https://www.google.com/voice to it, which gives you a free number. Try to get a number in Englishtown , NJ with area code 723 which would be beneficial.

If you can't go down that route, than google free us phone number for some virtual options that are out there.

I put the US address that AddressPal gave me into Google maps.
    The gave me the info of a business called Polar Express.
    So I used their no. which is 732-446-6721.

Problem now is it says county does not match postcode.
    I put in New Jersey and 07726.

Put it as follows:

Street Address: 5 SOUTH MAIN STREET
    Street Address 2: APWxxxxxx
    City: ENGLISHTOWN
    State: NJ
    Zip Code: 07726-1558

It worked for me.

It might offer you to correct it to 5 S MAIN STREET as that is how the US postal service would write it.

If it requires a county, the county is MONMOUTH .

Where did u get 1558 from in the zip code?
    Still not working for me.

blade1 wrote: »
    Where did u get 1558 from in the zip code?
    Still not working for me.

US Postal Service, ZIP codes are usually 9 digits, the last 4 are not required, but sometimes systems that use us postal system to validate zip codes throw up an error.

Are you sure you have set the country to US?

US Postal Service, ZIP codes are usually 9 digits, the last 4 are not required, but sometimes systems that use us postal system to validate zip codes throw up an error.

Are you sure you have set the country to US?

Yes but I sorted it.
    It accepted it on the eBay app on my phone.
    Strange it wouldn't on my laptop.
    Thanks Yggr, it did need the last 4 digits as well.

Happy shopping, let us know how your shop did work.

• Advertisement

Happy shopping, let us know how your shop did work.

Will do, might be a while though.
    Forgot about this when I ordered some graphics for a motorbike from Texas last week.
    Postage to Ireland was over €30 :o

Advertisement