Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Can things like laptops, iPhones, or general electrical equipment from say the likes of Apple be sent through Address pal?

Use their home delivery service- full tracking and you can buy additional insurance (at a price obviously)- though it defaults to 40 Euro.
    Remember reading about one of these services that had a low default amount and a customer brought them to the small claims court and won. Apparently these limits they set are not worth the (digital) paper they are written on and if a company loses your goods they need to reimburse you the full amount no matter what their T&Cs say.

Parcel Motel refunded me almost €200 and they have a limit of much lower than that.

I can't see on the AP website where you can cover for higher insurance?

I know Parcel Motel do it for up to 1000 for 7 euros for two weeks I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

AidenL wrote: »
    Can things like laptops, iPhones, or general electrical equipment from say the likes of Apple be sent through Address pal?
    anything with batteries are on the prohibited list.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

i dont understand why all liquids would be prohibited. i've ordered eliquid from online several times and it was delivered by anpost, why wouldnt they allow it ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Video wrote: »
    i dont understand why all liquids would be prohibited. i've ordered eliquid from online several times and it was delivered by anpost, why wouldnt they allow it ?

See post #1335.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

whiterebel wrote: »
    See post #1335.

Why would anyone bother to find that post? You couldn't even be bothered to find it yourself if you had done you could have easily posted the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

my3cents wrote: »
    Why would anyone bother to find that post? You couldn't even be bothered to find it yourself if you had done you could have easily posted the link.

You might avoid a ban by reading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

degsie wrote: »
    You might avoid a ban by reading it.

I've read it, as I was part of the reason it was posted, but its poor form on an INTERNET forum without linking to it unless I need to explain how the internet works?

I'm sure there will be some excuse about posting from a mobile phone but similarly its just as awkward to find a post from a number from a mobile phone.

its a form of this <SNIP>

Mod: Keep it to facts please, not your opinion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

my3cents wrote: »
    I've read it, as I was part of the reason it was posted, but its poor form on an INTERNET forum without linking to it unless I need to explain how the internet works?

I'm sure there will be some excuse about posting from a mobile phone but similarly its just as awkward to find a post from a number from a mobile phone.

Its on the same page as the post asking the question. How many times do I have to keep posting it? There is a warning in the post title. I'm sure most people on the internet know how to scroll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Do you work for an post? i checked the mod post (took me about 10 minutes to find it buried in this thread) and then i posted that question.

Do you work for an post? i checked the mod post (took me about 10 minutes to find it buried in this thread) and then i posted that question.

The first line states that Airlines and companies that use their services have a prohibited articles list, which includes liquids. An Post don't accept liquids as they may use air transport for parcels.

Why would you think I work for An Post? Not that i do, but if I did how would it be relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

While I dont side with Video here, generally you are VERY defensive of AP at most opportunities.

ED_E: If you feel the need to question a mod decision, please take it to PM, not the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Only replied as you did without elevating to mod mode.

rubadub wrote: »
    anything with batteries are on the prohibited list.

No use for my next iPhone then ! :(

One other question, is there an easy way to alternate between PO collection and home deliveries, depending on whether someone will be at home or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

One other question, is there an easy way to alternate between PO collection and home deliveries, depending on whether someone will be at home or not?

The Home Delivery number is shorter, which is how AP determine what service you chose at time of purchase.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I've two accounts- one for home deliveries- one for the post-office. The home delivery one insists on a valid credit card for setup- and it gets charged for the carriage in advance on arrival of your package in the UK or the US. If customs/excise/duty is payable- you *have* to pay this in cash, along with a 10 Euro handling fee, to the postman.

Its a bit rich of An Post to lob a 10 quid handling charge on the items sent via Address Pal- if they determine customs/duty/vat etc due. I've also severe issues with how they value goods- and from my two US packages received thus far- they did a straight 1:1 conversion of the declared value from $ to EUR- which is mean in the extreme. I.e. 150 dollars was converted to 150 Euro- which meant it *did* qualify for both duty and vat- whereas, if it were under this threshold- it would be just the VAT element that would have to be paid.

I argued a case with An Post on this- their response was- I couldn't have the package unless I paid. If I didn't pay, I could dispute it- but they'd send the package back to the sender. If I paid- I got my package, but I couldn't dispute it in retrospect.

I.e. Heads you win, tails I loose- you can't dispute the charges- if you ever want your package- so if its worth anything at all- you are at the mercy of An Post- which to be brutally honest- is not fair or equitable- seeing as its a service they were offering- they shouldn't be as brutal towards their customers as this.

There should be a valid manner/method for disputing wholly arbitrary valuations their team in the US seem to be lobbing on goods.

After my second experience with the US service- I will never, ever, use it again.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

I've two accounts- one for home deliveries- one for the post-office. The home delivery one insists on a valid credit card for setup- and it gets charged for the carriage in advance on arrival of your package in the UK or the US. If customs/excise/duty is payable- you *have* to pay this in cash, along with a 10 Euro handling fee, to the postman.

Its a bit rich of An Post to lob a 10 quid handling charge on the items sent via Address Pal- if they determine customs/duty/vat etc due. I've also severe issues with how they value goods- and from my two US packages received thus far- they did a straight 1:1 conversion of the declared value from $ to EUR- which is mean in the extreme. I.e. 150 dollars was converted to 150 Euro- which meant it *did* qualify for both duty and vat- whereas, if it were under this threshold- it would be just the VAT element that would have to be paid.

I argued a case with An Post on this- their response was- I couldn't have the package unless I paid. If I didn't pay, I could dispute it- but they'd send the package back to the sender. If I paid- I got my package, but I couldn't dispute it in retrospect.

I.e. Heads you win, tails I loose- you can't dispute the charges- if you ever want your package- so if its worth anything at all- you are at the mercy of An Post- which to be brutally honest- is not fair or equitable- seeing as its a service they were offering- they shouldn't be as brutal towards their customers as this.

There should be a valid manner/method for disputing wholly arbitrary valuations their team in the US seem to be lobbing on goods.

After my second experience with the US service- I will never, ever, use it again.

A very useful post, and in line with my expectations to be honest (on how they handle the charges). I'll stick with other providers for US deliveries such as Shipitto so, and take my chances

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AppleKidd

Spocker wrote: »
    A very useful post, and in line with my expectations to be honest (on how they handle the charges). I'll stick with other providers for US deliveries such as Shipitto so, and take my chances

I got an email, saying my package arrived at An Post(ireland) from the US, so now what? Do they send me an email regrading duties/taxes and or do I wait, till I get a knock at my door.

• Advertisement

are you allowing for the carriage charge from the US to you? That's over €20 depending on the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

An post don't calculate your customs charges? Customs does..how do you not know this, the an post fee is for collection of the charge for customs and the relevant paperwork etc.

The amount of people who think an post and customs are the same is riddiculas (in regards to parcels) .

An post has zero input into how much customs charges. Zero. And it can't release a package until the duty is paid. If it's released in error the postie responsible is at fault.

whiterebel wrote: »
    are you allowing for the carriage charge from the US to you? That's over €20 depending on the weight.

You get a charge on your credit card for carriage- once your package is received at the sorting centre in New England. The charge for something light might be 15.99. The guys there sort the package- and complete a customs declaration for it- as obviously- it was a domestic delivery in the US- before they got their hands on it. They open and examine the package- and do the customs declaration (a vanilla CN22 declaration).

I.e. An Post and/or their agents in the US- declare a value for the goods- before it ever leaves the US- and repackage it appropriately.

Their US staff are using a 1:1 US$:EUR conversion rate- when a 1.20:1 would be more appropriate (depends on any given day). They are also finding arbitray values for items (I'm guessing from Amazon or somewhere)- for filling in the customs declarations. I know I wasn't asked for a valuation for either of my two packages thus far- one package was accurately described (a Cozmo robot thats not on the market here- but a retail price was put on a second hand model I bought on ebay), the other package (spare parts for repairing robots) had an entirely arbitrary value entered on the CN22- of almost 3 times what I actually paid.

Aka- An Post- or their agent in the US- is completing a customs declaration and declaring a value on goods received. Perhaps they might be contacting some people for a copy of invoices- I used them twice- I wasn't contacted on either occasion.

The only choice you have- when there is an inaccurate CN22 on the package- is pay it- and forfeit the right to dispute it- or don't pay it- and let An Post return the package (at your cost again- remember they have your credit card information)- to the original sender in the US.

The guys in New England- are putting whatever the hell they can put on customs declarations- to get the packages out the door. By rights they should be contacting customers to get an idea of what people have paid for the goods concerned. They're not.

They are also charging a handling fee of a tenner- having mi

An post don't calculate your customs charges? Customs does..how do you not know this, the an post fee is for collection of the charge for customs and the relevant paperwork etc.

The amount of people who think an post and customs are the same is riddiculas (in regards to parcels) .

An post has zero input into how much customs charges. Zero. And it can't release a package until the duty is paid. If it's released in error the postie responsible is at fault.

An Post complete the customs declaration in the US- without contacting the customer. An post thus- are central to calculating your due customs. If they miscalculate the value of the items (which they are wildly doing)- your only option is to refuse acceptance of the item. When its a $150 robot- or 2k in robotic parts and circuit boards- you're not in a position to refuse delivery. Yet- if you accept and pay- you forfeit the right to dispute the charge.

Heads they win, tails, you loose.........

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

I just got an email saying that they were sending the parcel back to the sender as there was insufficient funds in the account. There is plenty in the account.

Surely they should call in cases like this rather than instantly return to sender. Has anyone else had a similar experience or ideas what to do. The "customer service" is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

An post has zero input into how much customs charges. Zero.

Your statement is wrong when it comes to the actual calculation. They have the key responsibility in ensuring the customs does the right calculation and the receiver actually pays them to do so.

While AnPost does not do the actual calculation (or sets the rates), their agent (Polar Express) does the custom declaration on the receivers and AnPost's behalf.

So if they don't do it correctly (which it seams to be the case), the duty/VAT to be paid is wrongly calculated. Custom usually will take the declared values, especially if it comes from a trusted partner like AnPost. They might inspect or decided on other values if they have reason to do so, but if a trusted source is doing it than they usually accept the declaration.
    the an post fee is for collection of the charge for customs and the relevant paperwork etc.

Yes it is, and hence it's bad form for Polar Express to make wrong declarations. The receiver pays a rather large fee (10€) for them to do it, so they can expect that it's done correctly and not based on wild estimates with wrong currency calculations.

It seams that Polar Express is doing the declarations wrong by using a wrong exchange rate and wrong values which than leads into wrong calculation by customs.

Unlike other providers that would either ask for the value of goods or take the actual invoice in the package (plus AnPost shipping charges to Ireland) they seams to make it up as they go.

Couple that with the attitude of customer service when an error is made.

You pay AnPost for doing this correctly, they don't and than they don't give you the opportunity to dispute it and correct their error.

An Post complete the customs declaration in the US- without contacting the customer. An post thus- are central to calculating your due customs. If they miscalculate the value of the items (which they are wildly doing)- your only option is to refuse acceptance of the item. When its a $150 robot- or 2k in robotic parts and circuit boards- you're not in a position to refuse delivery. Yet- if you accept and pay- you forfeit the right to dispute the charge.

Heads they win, tails, you loose.........

You should ask An Post for a copy of the customs entry and see what calculations they are using. If you have invoices from the customer to back it up, query it with Customs at whichever mail centre it comes in to.

they did a straight 1:1 conversion of the declared value from $ to EUR- which is mean in the extreme. I.e. 150 dollars was converted to 150 Euro
    Did they clearly state this is the case, like do they actually have a conversion figure for euro/$ which is 1.0000 listed or something? or are you just presuming this off the charges you say.

You would think customs would pick up on this -as it could have been the other way around.

Did you items have clear invoices in them?

do they charge VAT on the an post fee? and/or on the €10 handing fee?

This is the a post I had made, I think you are the first person I saw reporting about using the service.
    rubadub wrote: »
    that is still not clear to me. I am still hoping VAT will not be on the AP fee, and fingers extra crossed there would not be another €10 on top. Nobody has posted about using it yet, their site should really have examples of what to expect, or even a calculator. (VAT is currently 23% too)

I have still not seen sample examples from an post either. I'd be on their facebook page publicly saying what they are doing and what people should expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I was thinking of getting the GF a bag from the US with AddressPal but these posts are making me think twice. I previously used Shipito and had no issues, paid $48 to get Uggs shipped over and with AddressPal it would be €15.99. A decent saving.

Is it not illegal to falsely fill out customs documents? Why are they taking numbers out of their arse for them?

My calculations were Bag + Domestic shipping, Sales tax + AddressPal shipping. Then, 12% customs on that and 23% VAT on the lot. I assumed AnPost would throw a fee on top of all that, which is €10?

If they're going to make up numbers I'll just use Shipito...

It's quite annoying having to pay customs on something that can't be bought in this country. Even moreso that it's so expensive to bring stuff in a lot of us aren't trying to get it cheaper, it just simply isn't available here. Don't get me started on being taxed for shipping costs...

I should also mention I had an issue with AddressPal a few months ago. Ordered a €300 Kate Spade handbag from the UK and the courier said it was delivered at reception. Didn't show up here, AnPost just told me they weren't open when it allegedly arrived. Fortunately, Kate Spade issued a full refund no questions asked but as far as they were concerned it was delivered so luckily I dodged that bullet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AppleKidd

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting the GF a bag from the US with AddressPal but these posts are making me think twice. I previously used Shipito and had no issues, paid $48 to get Uggs shipped over and with AddressPal it would be €15.99. A decent saving.

Is it not illegal to falsely fill out customs documents? Why are they taking numbers out of their arse for them?

My calculations were Bag + Domestic shipping, Sales tax + AddressPal shipping. Then, 12% customs on that and 23% VAT on the lot. I assumed AnPost would throw a fee on top of all that, which is €10?

If they're going to make up numbers I'll just use Shipito...

It's quite annoying having to pay customs on something that can't be bought in this country. Even moreso that it's so expensive to bring stuff in a lot of us aren't trying to get it cheaper, it just simply isn't available here. Don't get me started on being taxed for shipping costs...

I should also mention I had an issue with AddressPal a few months ago. Ordered a €300 Kate Spade handbag from the UK and the courier said it was delivered at reception. Didn't show up here, AnPost just told me they weren't open when it allegedly arrived. Fortunately, Kate Spade issued a full refund no questions asked but as far as they were concerned it was delivered so luckily I dodged that bullet.

Out of interest did anyone google the US address for AddressPal, some scary things pop up for example internet fraud. To be honest I don't know is any of this stuff is through but it would make you think twice.

This link is the so called businesshttps://polexp.com/ An Post teamed up with another company called Air business and Polar Express is actually company where all parcels get delivered.

Also there are yelp reviews about Polar Express LLC/https://www.yelp.com/biz/polar-express-englishtown

Also this one is interesting to. http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/polar-express-llc/englishtown-new-jersey-07726/polar-express-llc-hacked-my-paypal-account-and-spent-1000-on-a-drone-to-send-to-russia-1360590

Advertisement