Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Air Business is actually owned by AnPost Northern Ireland and actively controlled by AnPost.

So for the UK address it's AnPost via their own UK business that is providing the service.

As to the US service, that clearly is done by Polar Express as I called out earlier and they seam to be not the most reliable providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AppleKidd

Air Business is actually owned by AnPost Northern Ireland and actively controlled by AnPost.

So for the UK address it's AnPost via their own UK business that is providing the service.

As to the US service, that clearly is done by Polar Express as I called out earlier and they seam to be not the most reliable providers.

Never knew that AnPost owned Air business. According to Polar Express's website Air business is one of there partners. https://polexp.com/partners.html

To be honest I have no complaints yet. My first US parcel arrived and was cleared. Should have it tomorrow. fingers crossed.

I will make up my mind from there to use it again. I wouldn't buy electronics or expensive goods, mainly clothes and shoes most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

AppleKidd wrote: »
    Never knew that AnPost owned Air business. According to Polar Express's website Air business is one of there partners. https://polexp.com/partners.html

To be honest I have no complaints yet. My first US parcel arrived and was cleared. Should have it tomorrow. fingers crossed.

I will make up my mind from there to use it again. I wouldn't buy electronics or expensive goods, mainly clothes and shoes most likely.

One would expect that AnPost did their due diligence before choosing this company as their US vendor. But than again this is not covered by the USO so maybe they just did the best price .....

Time will tell what the experience is of Irish Users with this service, both in sense of reliability and customs declarations.

But giving that there is no insurance and the maximum liability of AnPost is 40€ it's wise not to use this for expensive goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

One would expect that AnPost did their due diligence.
    this is the same crowd that issued individual numbers with 13 alphanumerical digits... bunch of laughable incompetent idiots, and I think that is pretty much fact, and not just "opinion", I would like to see anyone in their right mind argue it was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It's hard to find customs information online, or at least it is for me on my phone...

Is there a tariff list for what percentage the product hits customs at? I believe not everything is charged at 12%? Also, in terms of the exchange rate, this can be found on Revenue's website, surely the same service can be used or found on the US side of things?

They say they open the package and get the value off the invoice and if they're isn't one they contact you but as mentioned above they didn't do this?

Also it says they're not insured because they handle then securely. At that rate then they're to blame if it goes missing?

If I pay for an item and say the value or exchange rate was incorrect, why can't this be disputed? As far as I know if the likes of UPS or DHL get it wrong you can dispute it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

DaveyDave wrote: »
    It's hard to find customs information online, or at least it is for me on my phone...

Is there a tariff list for what percentage the product hits customs at? I believe not everything is charged at 12%? Also, in terms of the exchange rate, this can be found on Revenue's website, surely the same service can be used or found on the US side of things?

They say they open the package and get the value off the invoice and if they're isn't one they contact you but as mentioned above they didn't do this?

Also it says they're not insured because they handle then securely. At that rate then they're to blame if it goes missing?

If I pay for an item and say the value or exchange rate was incorrect, why can't this be disputed? As far as I know if the likes of UPS or DHL get it wrong you can dispute it?

Have a look at the first post in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554 for Taric, Duty rates, minimum values etc.

They won't be using the same exchange rates on both sides, on the American side they should be doing the declaration for American Customs, not EU/Irish customs. They should be in receipt of invoices from the shipper, but its not realistic to expect them to contact someone in Ireland for values with a 6-9 hour time difference. They should hold it until they get correct documentation from the shipper. There are going to a lot of unhappy campers for this service if this is going to be the norm.

They don't seem to be dealing very well with issues on the UK service, trying to blame everyone else, but it is the service that they are offering. Doesn't bode well for the US service if that is going to be the attitude. If something happens they will point to their T&Cs for €40 maximum. It has generally been difficult to claim from transport companies as they will claim it wasn't correctly packed, labelled, or whatever and you would need to prove wilful neglect. It gets really messy with these forwarding services, particularly when there is no insistence on proper signatures on delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

EU import tariffs are here, not immediately obvious but click the 'Find code' link to get a list of product codes. More details here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ok, bit of an issue here. I've been sick for the last week and couldn't collect my item. My nominated collector has now told me, that they never collected the item within the 4 days.
    Checked the FAQ on the addresspal website and they say it will either be sent backn to sender or it won't.
    As I really want the item, how do I go about getting it back?
    Will I call into post office or email/call addresspal directly?
    Has this happened to anyone on here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Ok, bit of an issue here. I've been sick for the last week and couldn't collect my item. My nominated collector has now told me, that they never collected the item within the 4 days.
    Checked the FAQ on the addresspal website and they say it will either be sent backn to sender or it won't.
    As I really want the item, how do I go about getting it back?
    Will I call into post office or email/call addresspal directly?
    Has this happened to anyone on here?

Depends on the post office- but while they say 4 days- often they'll keep it a few days extra- its worth a shot. Don't bother calling or e-mailing Addresspal- you'll get nowhere- but the local post staff- will be able to tell you exactly what the story is with your parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Depends on the post office- but while they say 4 days- often they'll keep it a few days extra- its worth a shot. Don't bother calling or e-mailing Addresspal- you'll get nowhere- but the local post staff- will be able to tell you exactly what the story is with your parcel.

Might be out of luck so. My local post office isn't the best. Lax except when laxness would be beneficial.

• Advertisement

Quick question regarding customs, I got a shock at the amount due when I opened the door this morning. The goods I bought (clothes) total was 210USD but with discounts I only paid 140USD right. AddressPal in US put the value of the contents of 210USD on the customs form. I thought customs only are due what you paid on the items which was 140USD, am I correct is saying this, that the VAT and duty should have only been based on the 140USD and the shipping charge.

Quick question regarding customs, I got a shock at the amount due when I opened the door this morning. The goods I bought (clothes) total was 210USD but with discounts I only paid 140USD right. AddressPal in US put the value of the contents of 210USD on the customs form. I thought customs only are due what you paid on the items which was 140USD, am I correct is saying this, that the VAT and duty should have only been based on the 140USD and the shipping charge.

Yes........
    They did the exact same to me- putting the new retail value on secondhand goods. An Post told me simply- I could refuse acceptance of the package- and dispute the customs/excise- however, they'd send it back. Or I could accept it, pay the customs and excise- however, I couldn't refute or raise a dispute in retrospect. Aka- if you don't pay the elevated fees they've put on it- you don't get your goods.

Its a bit of a mess- and I've no idea how/why they're allowing this carry-on- its not as though they're going to make a profit out of it............

Yes........
    They did the exact same to me- putting the new retail value on secondhand goods. An Post told me simply- I could refuse acceptance of the package- and dispute the customs/excise- however, they'd send it back. Or I could accept it, pay the customs and excise- however, I couldn't refute or raise a dispute in retrospect. Aka- if you don't pay the elevated fees they've put on it- you don't get your goods.

Its a bit of a mess- and I've no idea how/why they're allowing this carry-on- its not as though they're going to make a profit out of it............

Yeah, the post man told me accept and and raise it with the customs office, which I did. The girl I was talking said send in the custom docket and invoice of proof of what I paid for. Also I calculated the VAT and they overcharged on the VAT by 5.70.

I am now waiting for a response regarding the issue of value issue. I only realised the overcharge on the VAT after sending the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If they believe the invoice or declared value is fake they can determine their own value, this would be the case with chancers sending the likes of ipods valued at 10 dollars. In any instance I have had where senders sent me (or people I know) items with obviously false values via normal post they have always contacted us and asked for the value, in which case we emailed the paypal or CC details of what was actually paid.

The majority of stuff I would buy is below RRP, and 140 vs 210 (esp. for clothing) certainly does not ring alarm bells for it being a scam. So I reckon if this had gone through regular post, or a courier, rather than addresspal then you would have had no trouble at all. As it was under 150euro no duty would apply either.

These reports are appalling, please post on twitter or facebook, people really need warning against this stuff. I wonder if this "polar express" crowd have a vested interest in doing it.

Has anybody had a good experience with AP from the US? I am still none the wiser what sort of fees are actually supposed to apply, i.e. what VAT is charged on etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I've used Address Pal for the first time. The Amazon shipment was received and signed by them last week Friday and I have yet to hear anything from AnPost. What is the usual turnaround time you guys have experienced between UK-> Ireland collection? Starting to think it was forgotten somewhere.

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    I've used Address Pal for the first time. The Amazon shipment was received and signed by them last week Friday and I have yet to hear anything from AnPost. What is the usual turnaround time you guys have experienced between UK-> Ireland collection? Starting to think it was forgotten somewhere.

4-5 working days (aka a week)- is entirely normal.
    I expect you'll get an e-mail and/or a text today- advising its ready for collection- if not, Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

To add to the spate of problems people have reported recently, I've just had my first delivery gone missing through them. Can't prove they received it, of course, what with their ridiculous lack of tracking, and non-existent customer support

Luckily it wasn't an expensive item, and I managed to get a refund from the seller. But I'm one more problem away from moving back to other providers

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Virtanen wrote: »
    To add to the spate of problems people have reported recently, I've just had my first delivery gone missing through them. Can't prove they received it, of course, what with their ridiculous lack of tracking, and non-existent customer support

Luckily it wasn't an expensive item, and I managed to get a refund from the seller. But I'm one more problem away from moving back to other providers

I think they are all the same. Friday i got a notification from parcel motel collection is ready. Went to locker, typed in code, empty. Now nobody knows how it went missing or where it is. With all the forwarding services its the luck of the draw I guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if AddressPal had a higher rate of lost packages compared to Parcel Motel as AnPost have a terrible service in general. My previous job was ecommerce support for a retail chain and the amount of tracked packages they lost was ridiculous, including sending a crate of store stock to a customer. They hand out packages to people in completely different counties and don't seem to check ID for collections.

I also had an issue with a tracked return using their Return My Shopping service, their customer support and phones were a no go, had to rant at them on their Facebook to eventually get an answer. Tracking said on route to recipient, they said they never got but phone tracking said it arrived. It was eventually delivered after weeks...

I think I'll just use Shipito, at least I also have a choice of couriers and if it goes missing it shouldn't be too much hassle to refund. Sucks that I have to pay €45 compared to €16 in shipping, but maybe they can get a better service going at some point because their shipping rates are quite good.

<SNIP> Warning issued. It's not as if this has been repeatedly flagged already.

So- got a call from a friendly soul from St. Alban's this evening.
    Apparently- they sent me a package back on the 5th of July- to my local post office- which has eventually, over the last 6 weeks- finally meandered back to St. Albans. They rang to ask if I'd like them to return the package to the sender. Its actually a nice Camel Active shirt I bought myself- and was wondering what had happened to. The seller- wouldn't send it outside the UK- so I used Addresspal. The guys in St. Albans are inferring they sent it over to Dublin 6 weeks ago- and are curious as to why I didn't bother collecting it.

It would have been nice- had An Post sent me an e-mail and a text like they normally do- when my package arrives at my post office.

As I now have a second account with the home delivery address on it- they offered to redirect it home instead- matter of fact- they were some of the friendliest and best advertisers of Addresspal I've encountered thus far.

So- my shirt is on its way back to me. If the weather the last few days is any barometer, if you'll excuse the pun, its probably going to hang for the next 9 months in my wardrobe.

With all the advertising An Post are doing pushing Addresspal- you'd imagine they would put more effort into the service itself.

Awaiting a nice Camel Active shirt..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yes, the UK guys did ring me once asking me was I expecting something which I wasn't. Turns out there was no code on it just a name so he was withered ringing people of similar names. Nice person.

I've just ordered through their USA crowd. Here's hoping it goes okay.

I had a look at the Taric code which appears to be 4202 21 00 10 but I don't see North America anywhere and apart from one showing 3% the rest are 0%. I'm still not sure what the customs charge is...

ZmH2QJV.png?1
    Yeah, the post man told me accept and and raise it with the customs office, which I did. The girl I was talking said send in the custom docket and invoice of proof of what I paid for. Also I calculated the VAT and they overcharged on the VAT by 5.70.

I am now waiting for a response regarding the issue of value issue. I only realised the overcharge on the VAT after sending the email.

Did you hear anything back about being overcharged?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I had a look at the Taric code which appears to be 4202 21 00 10 but I don't see North America anywhere and apart from one showing 3% the rest are 0%. I'm still not sure what the customs charge is...

Looks like 3% duty from the United States.
    The UK site has a slightly more user friendly interface than the main TARIC site, though obviously has the UK tax rate instead of the Irish one.
    For handbags:
    https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/trade-tariff/commodities/4202210010

The Irish revenue page just refers you back to the TARIC database, though does give a good summary of the various charges.

ZmH2QJV.png?1

Would you believe I did, I'm getting a full refund on the customs charge and some of the VAT back. I paid 87 and getting 49 back from the customs office. I meant to put it up during week I forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Would you believe I did, I'm getting a full refund on the customs charge and some of the VAT back. I paid 87 and getting 49 back from the customs office. I meant to put it up during week I forgot.

Great stuff! If enough of that goes on, Customs will be raising some serious questions with An Post regarding their agent over there.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Had two deliveries from Amazon so far - working nicely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

AidenL wrote: »
    Had two deliveries from Amazon so far - working nicely :)

US or UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

degsie wrote: »
    US or UK?

UK actually......

Another question, I had a code for free shipping in the US, not sure if it would be on the invoice but if they see $18 shipping then a discount of $18 surely they can't charge that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Another question, I had a code for free shipping in the US, not sure if it would be on the invoice but if they see $18 shipping then a discount of $18 surely they can't charge that?

If they're feeling bloody-minded enough, they can.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Advertisement