Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    If they're feeling bloody-minded enough, they can.

Unfortunately +1........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

If I want to get home delivery instead of PO is it simply a matter of putting in the other address and they will charge the card?

I already signed up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

If I want to get home delivery instead of PO is it simply a matter of putting in the other address and they will charge the card?

That's the way to do it. The only difference is the customer ID number. When the parcel is delivered to St Albans and processed, your card is charged €5.99 (or whatever weight charge applies) and you're then sent a tracking number, via which you can see your parcel wait in Heathrow Terminal for hours, days, weeks, etc.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

So I decided to go with Shipito for my package as I didn't have any issues with them last time. I just didn't want to risk something that costs $270 going missing like it did in the UK.

Thanks for all the information above guys. The €15.99 rate is really good though, I might buy some coffee from Dunkin Donuts or some sweets just not something of major value.

I highly disagree with paying duty on American goods, it's not 2007 where you could get a cheap iPod off eBay with the $1.55 rate. Considering how much stuff you can get in Europe especially with the likes of Amazon I'd say buying from the US is a last resort for most. I mean FFS I'm buying a Disneyworld park exclusive bag. I'm not trying to shaft the government and buy elsewhere, I don't have a choice. I just really don't agree being charged customs on things you can't get anywhere in the EU but that's for another thread. Don't get me started on buying from consignment stores, got a pair of Nike Dunks for €300 that they marked as $90 which was the original value and they still got me on customs for the value I paid :/

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AppleKidd

DaveyDave wrote: »
    So I decided to go with Shipito for my package as I didn't have any issues with them last time. I just didn't want to risk something that costs $270 going missing like it did in the UK.

Thanks for all the information above guys. The €15.99 rate is really good though, I might buy some coffee from Dunkin Donuts or some sweets just not something of major value.

I highly disagree with paying duty on American goods, it's not 2007 where you could get a cheap iPod off eBay with the $1.55 rate. Considering how much stuff you can get in Europe especially with the likes of Amazon I'd say buying from the US is a last resort for most. I mean FFS I'm buying a Disneyworld park exclusive bag. I'm not trying to shaft the government and buy elsewhere, I don't have a choice. I just really don't agree being charged customs on things you can't get anywhere in the EU but that's for another thread. Don't get me started on buying from consignment stores, got a pair of Nike Dunks for €300 that they marked as $90 which was the original value and they still got me on customs for the value I paid :/

Be interesting to see how Shipito work, would love to get it a try as you can fill out the customs forms yourself. I'm bit nervous to use it. What was your experience the last time you used it, was the shipping much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

AppleKidd wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how Shipito work, would love to get it a try as you can fill out the customs forms yourself. I'm bit nervous to use it. What was your experience the last time you used it, was the shipping much.

I didn't do anything in terms of customs last time, just declared the value. I'll add the customs code this time to help ensure correct declaration. If I get overcharged I'll definitely fight it though.

It was pretty straight forward last time, parcel arrived 5th of May, they photographed the box, weighed it, measured it and gave me my shipping options. Landed in Ireland 21st I think. You can pay extra for them to open it and photograph inside. They also consolidate multiple packages to save on costs. Tempted to order something cheap to add onto it. It was $48 shipping for a large box of Uggs, weighing 3.8lbs. Not super expensive or anything but you wouldn't do it often really.

They have a $10/month premium option for an address with no sales tax, if you shopped frequently that'd probably be worth it. You get an option of Nevada or California, Nevada is slightly less sales tax and apparently California is quicker shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

I've never used AddressPal and only use ParcelMotel a couple of times. Parcel Motel is half an hour's drive away while PO is about five minutes.

I want to order an Amazon FireStick from Amazon.uk and of course they don't ship that item to Ireland. I've only read back a few pages. Is AddressPal reliable enough? Which would you choose of the two (AddressPal vs Parcel Motel)?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭blade1

leck wrote: »
    I've never used AddressPal and only use ParcelMotel a couple of times. Parcel Motel is half an hour's drive away while PO is about five minutes.

I want to order an Amazon FireStick from Amazon.uk and of course they don't ship that item to Ireland. I've only read back a few pages. Is AddressPal reliable enough? Which would you choose of the two (AddressPal vs Parcel Motel)?

In your case, 100% AdressPal.

I'm not sure how to accommodate the very long AddressPal delivery address within the fields on Amazon.

First I did this:

Address Line 1: 4 The Merlin Centre
    Address Line 2: Acrewood Way
    Town/City: St Albans
    County: Herts
    Postcode: AL4 0JY

But then I'm left with all of this to go in the first field (Full Name):

FirstName LastName
    APW xxxxxxx
    Air Business AP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

This is how I have it. Never had any issues

addresspal.png
    uploaded pictures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 wicklapaul

Got a few things in from the USA and uk, one place was looking for $88 to post that's when I tried address pal cost €16
    Problem with it is a good few USA sites won't take the address especially the postal code,
    Or zip code, which is very annoying,
    Anyone know what to do

I'm not sure how to accommodate the very long AddressPal delivery address within the fields on Amazon.

First I did this:

Address Line 1: 4 The Merlin Centre
    Address Line 2: Acrewood Way
    Town/City: St Albans
    County: Herts
    Postcode: AL4 0JY

But then I'm left with all of this to go in the first field (Full Name):

FirstName LastName
    APW xxxxxxx
    Air Business AP

How about the usa one, always getting trouble with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

I don't quite understand why anyone would pay 5.99 for delivery to home when Parcel Wizard do the same for 3.85 !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

ei9go wrote: »
    I don't quite understand why anyone would pay 5.99 for delivery to home when Parcel Wizard do the same for 3.85 !

Main reason is different maximum sizes for oversize delivery
    Parcel Wizard length and girth= 220 cm . Address Pal length and girth = 300 cm

So an over sized delivery package would be cheaper via home delivery rater than Parcel Wizard flat fee of 3.95 plus oversize charge

ei9go wrote:

I'd stick to what I know, and that would be An post, sure the are around a long time,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

wicklapaul wrote: »
    I'd stick to what I know, and that would be An post, sure the are around a long time,

They're newer at this than pretty much all their competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Main reason is different maximum sizes for oversize delivery
    Parcel Wizard length and girth= 220 cm . Address Pal length and girth = 300 cm

So an over sized delivery package would be cheaper via home delivery rater than Parcel Wizard flat fee of 3.95 plus oversize charge

Exactly my point, I don't see why anyone would pay 5.99 for home delivery of any normal size parcel when parcel wizard do it for 3.85.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

ei9go wrote: »
    Exactly my point, I don't see why anyone would pay 5.99 for home delivery of any normal size parcel when parcel wizard do it for 3.85.

Some sellers won't send to NI, that's why I use it.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

I should donate the package I collected at lunchtime- to my kids pass-a-parcel for their next birthday party.
    It was a shirt, in a brown padded envelope- which was missing my AP details- in a larger white envelope- which An Post in limerick had added my AP details to, in a slightly larger brown padded envelope- with a note on it advising return to sender, in yet another white padded envelope- with a large sticker berating me for the lack of a complete address.

According the Royal Mail post mark on the innermost envelope- it was delivered to St. Albans on the 26th June.
    It has spent the following 8 weeks- bouncing between St. Albans, Portlaoise, back to St. Albans, Limerick, back to St. Albans- and finally Dublin, before eventually arriving at the post office in Lucan.

The guys in St. Albans- did ring me last Thursday- asking me if I'd like the parcel- and wondering why I didn't collect it- however, the guys in lucan say it never arrived in Lucan- which is supported by the package in a package in a package in a package........

Its a nice Timberland shirt- fits perfectly.......... sigh............

One more shirt missing- a Camel Active. God only knows where that one is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I should donate the package I collected at lunchtime- to my kids pass-a-parcel for their next birthday party.
    It was a shirt, in a brown padded envelope- which was missing my AP details- in a larger white envelope- which An Post in limerick had added my AP details to, in a slightly larger brown padded envelope- with a note on it advising return to sender, in yet another white padded envelope- with a large sticker berating me for the lack of a complete address.

According the Royal Mail post mark on the innermost envelope- it was delivered to St. Albans on the 26th June.
    It has spent the following 8 weeks- bouncing between St. Albans, Portlaoise, back to St. Albans, Limerick, back to St. Albans- and finally Dublin, before eventually arriving at the post office in Lucan.

The guys in St. Albans- did ring me last Thursday- asking me if I'd like the parcel- and wondering why I didn't collect it- however, the guys in lucan say it never arrived in Lucan- which is supported by the package in a package in a package in a package........

Its a nice Timberland shirt- fits perfectly.......... sigh............

One more shirt missing- a Camel Active. God only knows where that one is.

Well to be fair,if it's missing some of the details there's a good chance of it going around the place like that.
    I sometimes have the same problem with DHL even with my full address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

How long does it take to hear from address Pal? I had something delivered to st Alban's on Saturday and no word.

blade1 wrote: »
    Well to be fair,if it's missing some of the details there's a good chance of it going around the place like that.
    I sometimes have the same problem with DHL even with my full address.

The innermost envelope was missing the address- the subsequent envelopes *had* the address printed on them perfectly- but the package wasn't sent to the post office- and I received no notification...........

The final outermost envelope had a large sticker on it berating me for not having my correct address- so it couldn't be delivered to my home address (I never used my home address on it- so that wasn't going to be an issue- but the guys in St. Albans offered to send it to my post office- which is where it eventually ended up)

//

McGaggs wrote: »
    How long does it take to hear from address Pal? I had something delivered to st Alban's on Saturday and no word.

4-5 working days is entirely normal- if it only arrived in St. Albans on Saturday- I'd suggest this Thursday would be good going, Friday more normal or the following Monday- if it gets delayed for any reason..........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Inviere

Ordering on Amazon.com folks, and I'm not sure I get get the address to line up with the recommended formatting by AP. Best I can get is is like this, any thoughts?

Mr. Random Name
    APW 0000000
    5 South Main Street
    Englishtown, New Jersey 07726
    United States

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

4-5 working days is entirely normal- if it only arrived in St. Albans on Saturday- I'd suggest this Thursday would be good going, Friday more normal or the following Monday- if it gets delayed for any reason..........

Thanks.

Parcel Motel once got a parcel to me quicker than that even though they gave it to the wrong customer initially...

McGaggs wrote: »
    I'm using AddressPal for the first time. Placed an order with Amazon on Saturday, it arrived at St Albans this morning. It's addressed for post office collection. Will I not hear from AddressPal until the package arrives at my local post office? ... no tracking between St Albans and here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I'm using AddressPal for the first time. Placed an order with Amazon on Saturday, it arrived at St Albans this morning. It's addressed for post office collection. Will I not hear from AddressPal until the package arrives at my local post office? ... no tracking between St Albans and here?

If you know the people in the PO, ask them to give you a shout personally when it arrives because the "automated" system they have can take a couple of days to contact you. When I collected my last AP order, the text came 2 days after I collected it. Only that I know the postmaster and gave him a heads up, he would have just scanned it and let the system contact me.

FanadMan wrote: »
    If you know the people in the PO, ask them to give you a shout personally when it arrives because the "automated" system they have can take a couple of days to contact you. When I collected my last AP order, the text came 2 days after I collected it. Only that I know the postmaster and gave him a heads up, he would have just scanned it and let the system contact me.

It depends on when its scanned on arrival at the post office.
    The text message and e-mail is automatically triggered when its scanned- normally you have your text message and e-mail less than an hour after its arrived at the post office. I've never heard of it taking a couple of days to arrive- and if this is the case- there was an issue with the system at that time- because its setup to automatically trigger this response- its not a manual thing (aside from the scanning of the package).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

So I got an e-mail from New Jersey earlier so obviously they're not opening mail. I bought something from eBay from a private seller so hardly expected them to send a full on invoice which is good because I was asked for the value of the items.
    We received your AddressPal item from eBay with tracking number XXX at our US location at 5 South Main St, Englishtown NJ, 07726, but unfortunately the invoice information has not been provided. Could you please supply us with the description and value of each item(s) in order for us to complete the relevant customs paperwork needed for shipment?

Please report back to us as soon as possible as the item will only be held for 3 working days before being returned to sender.

I gave them "a" Value :D (I expect to pay some Vat on it anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

For those that have tried the USA service from Addresspal would you recommend it over other services like shipitto?

Advertisement