Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

For those that have tried the USA service from Addresspal would you recommend it over other services like shipitto?

Depends on what I was having sent.........
    Something low value but bulky- US Addresspal
    Smaller/Lighter- and valuable- Shipitto

The main benefit of US Addresspal- is good shipping rates for heavy/bulky items- thats it. You most certainly don't use it for peace of mind- or an accurate/reasonable customs declaration. Also- and despite the manner in which its advertised- akin to the UK service- no tracking from once it reaches the depot- until its being delivered (when you get hit for customs charges..........)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

I'm waiting on a package from the US.

The US side have at least declared the value (on the CN23 form) as being what I actually paid, however they've added $23.88 under "Postal Charges/Fees". I had free shipping to NJ, so presumably this is the €20.99 AP fee? But I paid that in euros...and it presumably included VAT?

I'm not totally clear either on the handling charge...there will definitely be €10 added to wahatever duty/VAT is due?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭AppleKidd

rurs wrote: »
    I'm waiting on a package from the US.

The US side have at least declared the value (on the CN23 form) as being what I actually paid, however they've added $23.88 under "Postal Charges/Fees". I had free shipping to NJ, so presumably this is the €20.99 AP fee? But I paid that in euros...and it presumably included VAT?

I'm not totally clear either on the handling charge...there will definitely be €10 added to wahatever duty/VAT is due?

Yes, the postal charges are in dollar due to coming from the states that correct. An Post has a handling fee of €10 if caught by customs.

VAT will be added to the parcel if the value is over €22 and duty will be added after the value goes over €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Addresspal seems really slow from the UK compared to Parcel Motel.

Anyone else find that to be the case?

AppleKidd wrote: »
    Yes, the postal charges are in dollar due to coming from the states that correct. An Post has a handling fee of €10 if caught by customs.

VAT will be added to the parcel if the value is over €22 and duty will be added after the value goes over €150.

Yes, I should have been clearer, the addition of the AP fee takes me over €150, (originally $156). But does that mean the €20.99 I've already paid didn't include VAT??? Or if it did, paying VAT twice, and then reclaiming, seems unnecessarily complex for a service aimed at individuals.

• Advertisement

Yes, I should have been clearer, the addition of the AP fee takes me over €150, (originally $156). But does that mean the €20.99 I've already paid didn't include VAT??? Or if it did, paying VAT twice, and then reclaiming, seems unnecessarily complex for a service aimed at individuals.

When I contacted the customs office, the carriage/postal charge add too the value of the parcel. Example if the goods where $150(value on the customs form) and shipping costs $20. The totally is $170, which means that the whole 170 can get caught with duty/VAT. To be honest, its unfair to include the shipping cost, that what customs told me.

AidenL wrote: »

To be honest, never used it for the UK, only used it for the US. I think Parcel Motel is far better then AddressPal for the UK. With over 150 parcels through PM nothing went wrong or missing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The freight charge is part of the calculations for VAT/Duty from outside the EU.

Its worked out as follows:

Cost+Freight x Duty rate if applicable, then
    Cost + Freight + Duty x 23% VAT.

whiterebel wrote: »
    The freight charge is part of the calculations for VAT/Duty from outside the EU.

Its worked out as follows:

Cost+Freight x Duty rate if applicable, then
    Cost + Freight + Duty x 23% VAT.

I appreciate that, it just seems a bit strange to be paying a fee to an Irish company, which presumably includes VAT, and then paying VAT on that again.

Anyway, I'll update the thread whenever I receive my items.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

It's grossly absurd, unfair (and bordering on fraudulent activity by someone) to include a charge for postage, when the shipping cost was zero in the U.S., especially when that phantom charge takes the value of the consignment above a dutiable threshold.
    Why, one might think that someone is stacking things in the favour of some body or organisation. Surely not, as the State (and its arms) are supposed to be agnostic on such matters, and take a neutral stance.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    It's grossly absurd, unfair (and bordering on fraudulent activity by someone) to include a charge for postage, when the shipping cost was zero in the U.S., especially when that phantom charge takes the value of the consignment above a dutiable threshold.
    Why, one might think that someone is stacking things in the favour of some body or organisation. Surely not, as the State (and its arms) are supposed to be agnostic on such matters, and take a neutral stance.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the duty is on the cost of getting the item to Ireland. Which is original price + US delivery cost + cost of whatever service you use to get it to Ireland. And VAT then goes on top of that. You don't just ignore the US-Ireland cost.

There do seem to be problems with the actual figures they're using from some of the reports here, but including whatever the AP processing fee is on the US side is correct.

MOH wrote: »
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the duty is on the cost of getting the item to Ireland. Which is original price + US delivery cost + cost of whatever service you use to get it to Ireland. And VAT then goes on top of that. You don't just ignore the US-Ireland cost.

You can't ignore the US-Ireland cost- however, if you got free shipping in the US (which a lot of do have)- you shouldn't have a nominal value attached to something that cost nothing- esp. if it then pushes you over the threshold for duty (you'll have to pay VAT anyway).

It really isn't fair.

MOH wrote: »
    including whatever the AP processing fee is on the US side is correct.

The AP delivery fee is deducted in the US- 15.99 or whatever- the AP processing fee for an item which incurs VAT or Duty (or both)- is separate to this- and is imposed locally, after the determination of the appropriate VAT and Duty, here in Ireland.

This is why you have to keep a valid credit card on file with An Post- if you want to use the US service- a third party are processing the shipping fee from the US to Ireland (which they don't provide much detail on!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

I am expected a home delivery item from them from the UK this week. It was delivered to St Albans on Wednesday, and the only line in the tracking info they gave me since they arrived with them says:

ITEM HAS BEEN ACCEPTED LONDON
    HEATHROW TRANSIT HUB 24-Aug-17
    08:05

So it's either stuck at Heathrow since Thursday morning, and nothing has happened to it, or else they are not updating their tracking info regularly.

If you had experience with home delivery from the UK before, can you tell me which is more likely to be the case?

ta!

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    I am expected a home delivery item from them from the UK this week. It was delivered to St Albans on Wednesday, and the only line in the tracking info they gave me since they arrived with them says:

ITEM HAS BEEN ACCEPTED LONDON
    HEATHROW TRANSIT HUB 24-Aug-17
    08:05

So it's either stuck at Heathrow since Thursday morning, and nothing has happened to it, or else they are not updating their tracking info regularly.

If you had experience with home delivery from the UK before, can you tell me which is more likely to be the case?

ta!

They don't update their tracking info regularly.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

You can't ignore the US-Ireland cost- however, if you got free shipping in the US (which a lot of do have)- you shouldn't have a nominal value attached to something that cost nothing- esp. if it then pushes you over the threshold for duty (you'll have to pay VAT anyway).

It really isn't fair.
    The AP delivery fee is deducted in the US- 15.99 or whatever- the AP processing fee for an item which incurs VAT or Duty (or both)- is separate to this- and is imposed locally, after the determination of the appropriate VAT and Duty, here in Ireland.

This is why you have to keep a valid credit card on file with An Post- if you want to use the US service- a third party are processing the shipping fee from the US to Ireland (which they don't provide much detail on!!!)

Again, maybe I have it wrong, but I thought the calculation is:
    Original price + US delivery (= zero in this case) + AP forwarding/processing fee on the US side.
    Then add duty to that total if applicable, apply VAT if applicable, and add the Irish AP fee + VAT (on the Irish AP fee only).

If AP are charging an extra US delivery fee when it was zero then that's clearly wrong, but I'd read the earlier post as saying it was the AP forwarding fee that was being added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

leck wrote: »
    I'm using AddressPal for the first time. Placed an order with Amazon on Saturday, it arrived at St Albans this morning. It's addressed for post office collection. Will I not hear from AddressPal until the package arrives at my local post office? ... no tracking between St Albans and here?
    FanadMan wrote: »
    If you know the people in the PO, ask them to give you a shout personally when it arrives because the "automated" system they have can take a couple of days to contact you. When I collected my last AP order, the text came 2 days after I collected it. Only that I know the postmaster and gave him a heads up, he would have just scanned it and let the system contact me.
    I got my first AddressPal delivery to PO today. I'm very happy with the turnaround time.

I placed my order with Amazon on Saturday.
    Package arrived at St Albans on Tuesday morning.
    Got text form AP this morning (Friday) that package was ready at local PO.
    Picked up package this afternoon.

The PO confirmed that package arrived this morning. After reading The_Conductor's comment, I had checked with them late yesterday and there was no sign of it. They said all packages are scanned when they arrive there. This must then trigger the text from AP. Scan time on package was 9:14AM. I received SMS at 9:15AM.

It really isn't fair.

I suspect a programming cock-up.
    The box that needs to be filled in for internal US shipping cost probably won't accept a zero value (to avoid undercharging if it's missed out or overlooked), but perhaps AP and their agents have set the minimum values according to (for example) USPS's scale of charges for weights within the 'States. IOW, totally failing to acknowledge the existence of free shipping in the marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

2 items from New Jersey. They e-mailed looking for a description and value of the item which I told them but looking at the customs declaration on Addresspal.ie they put a different description on it.

I was trying to be vague because it was a gift by saying Womens Accessories for a Purse. Has Michael Kors Purse written on it instead. :( Gits :(

Does AddressPal USA come through the UK? Got an email from them saying service is 5-6 days and might have been delayed by a UK Bank Holiday.

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    Does AddressPal USA come through the UK? Got an email from them saying service is 5-6 days and might have been delayed by a UK Bank Holiday.

I think a fair bit of U.S. -> Irish mail comes via the UK, depending on what flights are used and what deals are in place. I notice that a lot, if I get a shipping cost to Ireland, it's more expensive than one to the UK. This is probably because of the extra leg involved if it's going to the UK first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

AidenL wrote: »

Yes. I don't have a PM near me any more so I have been using addresspal. Something was posted from UK - UK a week ago today and there have been no updates. I am finding it increasingly frustrating. I think I will go back to using Parcel Wizard after this, as it just seems more reliable and will deliver to my workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Decided to give AddressPal a shot without researching it at all and yes, the UK service is pretty bad.

Firstly it's overpriced compared to it's competitors at €5.99 for home delivery. DPD will not only do the same for only €3.85, but they give you a 1 hour delivery window and deliver the day after they receive the item in the North.

Meanwhile I had something delivered to AddressPal on Saturday and it's still in London. I'd have had it at my door on Monday and saved €2 with Parcel Wizard.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I think a fair bit of U.S. -> Irish mail comes via the UK, depending on what flights are used and what deals are in place. I notice that a lot, if I get a shipping cost to Ireland, it's more expensive than one to the UK. This is probably because of the extra leg involved if it's going to the UK first.

Chances are it does because they're all likely less cargo flights to Dublin per day/week.

My first item arrived today, higher value than the other, and postman handed it to me without collecting VAT. Value of the item, on the package, was $82.13 incl postage(marked in USD so Vat payable on that as well). Here's hoping the lower valued item gets through.

Address Pal definitely opened it anyway. Big green tape all over it where they sealed it back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Currently getting my first order from US having used the UK service a good number of times..ordered a small item on sale and got email today saying no invoice with package and if I could supply them with cost and description.
    This normal procedure,I don't think I have ever gotten anything from Amazon uk without an invoice ..
    I just sent on a screenshot of my order from Amazon

Quick edit
    Got email saying my unique number is missing from my address
    I have it beside my name on Amazon.com because that's the only place I could fit in..
    Where does everyone else put it...

Speaking of that missing number and stuff.

I got e-mail saying my stuff turned up without description/value etc. I gave it and the next day I got 3 e-mails.

1 - Thank you for the Information
    2 - We haven't got your Unique ID
    3 - Your Item has been Despatched

Confusing to say the least but I had a tracking number so knew it was on the move.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I have used AddressPal quiet a bit but I have decided to change to DPD since they launched an advert of a kid screaming on TV. Just shows the arrogance and stupidity of the company to inflict such a cancerous advert on TV, not worth supporting them after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Doltanian wrote: »
    I have used AddressPal quiet a bit but I have decided to change to DPD since they launched an advert of a kid screaming on TV. Just shows the arrogance and stupidity of the company to inflict such a cancerous advert on TV, not worth supporting them after that.

I have to mute the TV when that poxy ad comes on. It actually makes me angry. I get that the point of an ad is to be remembered but for christ sake someone actually got paid for that idea...

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I have to mute the TV when that poxy ad comes on. It actually makes me angry. I get that the point of an ad is to be remembered but for christ sake someone actually got paid for that idea...

Sportsdirect had something similar a few years ago. A painful teenager demanding something.

However, we know the advertising worked because You're talking about it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

How often do packages from the address pal USA get stopped by customs? 50%?
    Anyone have much experience with it?

Advertisement