Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Doltanian wrote: »
    I have used AddressPal quiet a bit but I have decided to change to DPD since they launched an advert of a kid screaming on TV. Just shows the arrogance and stupidity of the company to inflict such a cancerous advert on TV, not worth supporting them after that.

Normally I'd dismiss such a post and barmy, but I'd actually agree that it is one of theose very few adverts that is so annoying that it makes you not to deal with the company.

PC world and Appliances direct are similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is an ongoing "adverts we despise" thread and the screaming ad comes up very frequently.
    rubadub wrote: »
    In some countries, not sure about here, there are volume/decibel limits set for adverts.

I wonder if any fans of the ads would prefer if it was a little lower, I doubt anybody wants it that high. I flick over right away as it really blasts out and I do not want to disturb my neighbours, (it really is that damn loud) and it is also incredibly irritating to myself too.

Where limits are in place some advertisers were supposed to by employing sound technicians to deliberately make their adverts as loud as they were permitted. They can alter a soundtrack so it is technically at the same decibel level as before but actually is perceived as a lot louder.

This is the type of underhanded sly technique to be used by companies known for their ruthless, annoying and controversial marketing techniques, e.g. paddy power, ryanair, go compare, "crazy frog" ringtones, who seemingly have no problem being considered low-life scum. For a state company like an post to come up with such an objectionable ad is a disgrace. They knew fine well what they are at, scumbags.

It is even worse that they are exploiting young kids, knowing people will be less likely to call it out for what it is, and complain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

duckman!! wrote: »
    How often do packages from the address pal USA get stopped by customs? 50%?
    Anyone have much experience with it?

All packages sent to Address Pal US- are opened, inspected and have a CN22 customs declaration done up for them by An Post staff (or their proxies) in the US.

There are no packages, none at all (that I am aware of), that get through without a customs declaration and payment due on them (including a special EUR10 processing fee for the local boys).

VAT is due on any packages which have a customs declaration of goods and shipping over over EUR25- and duty, once you go over EUR150.

It doesn't matter what you declare- the guys in the US will be opening the package and putting their own value on it anyway- you might actually be better off not having any invoice whatsoever in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭duckman!!

How often do packages from the address pal USA get stopped by customs? 50%?
    Anyone have much experience with it?

All packages sent to Address Pal US- are opened, inspected and have a CN22 customs declaration done up for them by An Post staff (or their proxies) in the US.

There are no packages, none at all (that I am aware of), that get through without a customs declaration and payment due on them (including a special EUR10 processing fee for the local boys).

VAT is due on any packages which have a customs declaration of goods and shipping over over EUR25- and duty, once you go over EUR150.

It doesn't matter what you declare- the guys in the US will be opening the package and putting their own value on it anyway- you might actually be better off not having any invoice whatsoever in it.
    €10 on top of the fee an post charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

€10 on top of the fee an post charge?

Yes

• Advertisement

Depending on the price & type of item I would sooner use regular USPS post and pay the extra if possible -i.e. take the risk of it slipping through with no charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've an item "Sent to Customs" right now where I declared the value and gave a description(they put their own description on it) and the other item which was delivered last week, of a Higher Value, was delivered without any payment due.

Both items above the threshold so VAT would be due.

Hit and Miss really and both came through New Jersey. They both have a CN22 on them and both declare the shipping costs of €15.99 but declare it in USD which is quite annoying because clearly I've paid in EURO(on my card) so paid Vat in the ROI already but they might ask me to pay VAT on the USD even though technically I've already paid it. $18.27USD on the CN22 for Shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Sorry in case this has already been asked a 100 times.

Can you use Parcel motel to send a package to an address in the UK?

I just got my delivery of 3d printing filament from Amazon and realised that I ordered the wrong size. I now have 2 kg of filament that I need to return but An Post want 22.50 for the pleasure of sending it back. I've never used PM to send stuff before, just receiving stuff.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Sorry in case this has already been asked a 100 times.

Can you use Parcel motel to send a package to an address in the UK?

I just got my delivery of 3d printing filament from Amazon and realised that I ordered the wrong size. I now have 2 kg of filament that I need to return but An Post want 22.50 for the pleasure of sending it back. I've never used PM to send stuff before, just receiving stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, prices start at €14.50. There's an overview here.

Might work out cheaper to combine Parcel Motel with Royal Mail or collect+

Cat amongst the pigeons now with An Post. I am querying why I am being charged Vat in Dublin for Addresspal services(from the US) but charged Vat on the same service and a €10 collection fee upon receipt into Ireland. I am arguing to them their service is charging Vat on the service and then charges me €10 for customs to collect Vat on the same service thereby costing me €11.23 more to use the service so the service if it goes through customs actually costs €27.22

It's like a hot stone with An Post. Nobody seems to want to deal with the complaint and 5/6 out of 6 people when they heard customs tried to pawn off the complaint towards Revenue, the chancers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Berty wrote: »
    Cat amongst the pigeons now with An Post. I am querying why I am being charged Vat in Dublin for Addresspal services(from the US) but charged Vat on the same service and a €10 collection fee upon receipt into Ireland. I am arguing to them their service is charging Vat on the service and then charges me €10 for customs to collect Vat on the same service thereby costing me €11.23 more to use the service so the service if it goes through customs actually costs €27.22

It's like a hot stone with An Post. Nobody seems to want to deal with the complaint and 5/6 out of 6 people when they heard customs tried to pawn off the complaint towards Revenue, the chancers.

Its a long time since I worked in the business, but I thought there was no VAT charged on the actual freight movement from outside the EU.
    VAT would then be charged on top of Duty on the Value+Freight, so there would only be one VAT transaction, which seems to be correct. An Post should have said VAT is included on the UK, but not on the US. I wonder is it something to do with having a VAT element for situations where it doesn't undergo customs clearance, and there is no VAT/Duty paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hard2kill

how do you set up Ebay with AddressPal? where does the AP number go, in the surname section or address line 1?

hard2kill wrote: »
    how do you set up Ebay with AddressPal? where does the AP number go, in the surname section or address line 1?

Address Line 1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

hmm am curious - I just signed up for Address Pal and next day delivered a couple of items to them (Arriving to the St Albans Address tomorrow) - what are the chances of them being in my local PO for Thu?

I only used them as the company I bought from didn't offer a next day service to NI (so DPD/PM are out) - but reading up here it seems as if i may have been better to take a standard 2 day delivery option to NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

km991148 wrote: »
    hmm am curious - I just signed up for Address Pal and next day delivered a couple of items to them (Arriving to the St Albans Address tomorrow) - what are the chances of them being in my local PO for tomorrow?

0%
    Your AddressPal UK Post Office collection item will be delivered to your selected Post Office within 4 to 5 working days.

0%

Oops - I meant to say:
    What are the chances of them being in my local PO for THURSDAY?

If they could get them UK - Local PO in under one day I would be paying more than 4 quid!

Also - chosen PO in Dublin Center

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sorry I know this was probably explained a million times, I'm looking at ordering a package that is $23.37 including local shipping with AddressPal shipping of €15.99 that's €35.53.

I'm assuming VAT is applied to the product value + AddressPal fee and not including the US shipping?

Is the €10 fee just for items over €150 that need customs charges?

They shouldn't be allowed charge VAT on shipping. I want to buy something that's €14 but they'd be taxing me at €36...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Sorry I know this was probably explained a million times, I'm looking at ordering a package that is $23.37 including local shipping with AddressPal shipping of €15.99 that's €35.53.

I'm assuming VAT is applied to the product value + AddressPal fee and not including the US shipping?

Is the €10 fee just for items over €150 that need customs charges?

They shouldn't be allowed charge VAT on shipping. I want to buy something that's €14 but they'd be taxing me at €36...

Revenue aren't there to do anyone any favours. Vat/duty is payable on the landed price, the same as any retailer in Ireland has to pay. Always has been this way, always will. If they have to pay VAT or Duty in your behalf, they will charge you the €10 clearance fee.

It's like a hot stone with An Post. Nobody seems to want to deal with the complaint and 5/6 out of 6 people
    Post it on facebook, on several of their posts, they have several. Its a disgrace how they have kept it all secret, and given no examples of expected prices, you'll be doing others a favour.

https://www.facebook.com/AnPost/

Sorry I know this was probably explained a million times.

You would think an post would have explained it, but no, they decided to piss their money away on that horrible advert with the screaming kid. They keep it secret and I can see why. I am still clueless about how it all is supposed to work.
    They shouldn't be allowed charge VAT on shipping.
    if not they are open to scammers like on ebay, selling high price items for $10 with $1000 postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

whiterebel wrote: »
    Revenue aren't there to do anyone any favours. Vat/duty is payable on the landed price, the same as any retailer in Ireland has to pay. Always has been this way, always will. If they have to pay VAT or Duty in your behalf, they will charge you the €10 clearance fee.

I'm not saying they're there to do me a favour but the difference between myself and retailers is I'm not buying something at cost price with discounted bulk shipping and selling it for a profit. I'm buying something at retail value with domestic shipping and taxes, international shipping, local taxes and a generic €10 fee on top of that...

Nothing new there but the fact that the VAT limit is a despicable €22 means it shouldn't include shipping costs. Before AddressPal had €15.99 shipping, nothing in my experience has been below €25-30 for a light package so you're guaranteed to pay VAT.

I thought I'd be able to buy small and inexpensive items now that there was affordable shipping, but if I have to pay a €10 fee for €7 of VAT I won't bother.

• Advertisement

Also signed up for local po delivery as I thought it would be quicker, but reading FAQ it seems that home delivery is quicker - can anyone back this up?

I'm expecting parcel to st albans tomorrow to post office in D2 or work address in D2.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Also signed up for local po delivery as I thought it would be quicker, but reading FAQ it seems that home delivery is quicker - can anyone back this up?

I'm expecting parcel to st albans tomorrow to post office in D2 or work address in D2.

It was quick enough when the service started, but now it takes about four days from the item being accepted at St Albans to it arriving at my door. Last week, one parcel left Portlaoise THREE TIMES before it finally got here.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    It was quick enough when the service started, but now it takes about four days from the item being accepted at St Albans to it arriving at my door. Last week, one parcel left Portlaoise THREE TIMES before it finally got here.

Ouch - I know it was advised as up to 4 days, but I thought that was to cover them for delivering to the far end of Donegal or Kerry and somehow Dublin centre wouldnt be as bad.

So it seems Next day to St Albans and Address Pal is probably going to be worse than regular post to Newtonabbey and Parcel Motel/DPD?

What about the difference between Address Pal to PO and Address Pal to home/office? One package arrived at st albans at 720 - I am still hopeful to see it Thu (As I fly on Hols on Fri!)

ok - so I was stupid to be hopeful - It seems it is not possible for An Post to get a package form London to Dublin in 48 hours (Unless they are being given a wedge of cash from Amazon!)

To add insult the package I sent by regular mail form the UK to here just arrived (not via An Post)! Back to Parcel Motel in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kingcurls

I just received an item ordered from the US and it has shown me that the address pal service is essentially useless, only for collecting revenue and handling fees for An Post.

They didn't quite make all the charges clear to me (€10 customs handling fee wasn't mentioned on the site or in An Post FAQs) and over valued my item by around €16, therefore costing me more in VAT.

Would have been cheaper and quicker to have the retailer send to me directly even with their shipping fee, they collect customs their end also.

In my view a useless and frustrating service that I won't be using again, only serves a purpose when the retailer doesn't ship to Ireland which most now do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 willemm

kingcurls wrote: »
    I just received an item ordered from the US and it has shown me that the address pal service is essentially useless, only for collecting revenue and handling fees for An Post.

They didn't quite make all the charges clear to me (€10 customs handling fee wasn't mentioned on the site or in An Post FAQs) and over valued my item by around €16, therefore costing me more in VAT.

Would have been cheaper and quicker to have the retailer send to me directly even with their shipping fee, they collect customs their end also.

In my view a useless and frustrating service that I won't be using again, only serves a purpose when the retailer doesn't ship to Ireland which most now do.

at least you received your item. I'm still waiting. UPS said it was delivered on the 29th of August, but according to AddressPal it was never received (actually they pointed out to me that UPS probably delivered to the wrong address as their proof of delivery listed Manalapan NJ as the destination - Englishtown where the AddressPal depot is is in the Manalapan township).

It is worrying though that an Post think it's a good idea to enlist a company like Polar Express to provide this service for them. This is their website: https://en.polexp.com. I am not joking. 'How does it works'? well you place an 'oreder' and after 'oredr' arrived at our warehouse courier will deliver Within 6-15 days.

I didn't know Borat was into forwarding packages these days...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I've had two parcels from AddressPal this week and last week and both times it took 3 days to be delivered to local post office. I have a trial amazon prime account and they were delivered to St. Albans on Tuesday this week and in my PO this morning, exact same situation last week. I have received my tenth parcel since I started using it and I find it quiete useful especially for small non rush items. Anything I need in a hurry I go DPD although that has taken 2 days a few times also.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eleventy6

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I signed up to parcel direct local, https://www.parceldirect.ie/resources/parceldirect-local, and get all my stuff delivered to my local shop now to collect whenever I like.

It's very handy and you can track everything from within their app and get notifications to your phone

You can also drop off your stuff to be picked up by the courier and the app will tell you when it was collected and delivered.

They don't do the virtual address or anything, but with brexit looming and import duties on everything from the UK also, and all the hidden charges An Post have, it might be a good alternative for some people

After arguing back and forth about the 15.99 fee with VAT with them I decided to close my account, not that they cared anyway. I've also had my bank start the process of taking back the 15.99 through a chargeback. I've shown my bank that you are not allowed charge the same Irish person VAT on the same item twice(being the postal fee of 15.99) and the correspondence where An Post blame revenue for everything and revenue blame An Post for it because An Post put the price in USD on it and collected €10 for the luxury.

Ignored me on Twitter, Ignored me on Facebook and skirted around the issue by e-mail and hadn't a breeze what I was talking about over the phone.

• Advertisement

After arguing back and forth about the 15.99 fee with VAT with them I decided to close my account, not that they cared anyway. I've also had my bank start the process of taking back the 15.99 through a chargeback. I've shown my bank that you are not allowed charge the same Irish person VAT on the same item twice(being the postal fee of 15.99) and the correspondence where An Post blame revenue for everything and revenue blame An Post for it because An Post put the price in USD on it and collected €10 for the luxury.

Ignored me on Twitter, Ignored me on Facebook and skirted around the issue by e-mail and hadn't a breeze what I was talking about over the phone.

They actually responded to me on Facebook- advising me to ring the customer care folk- again........ I'm sorry- I have work to do too- I can't spend days on end arguing with them. I'm closing my US account- will keep the UK one for the moment.

Advertisement