Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

my3cents wrote: »
    Been getting a few items recently via AddressPal and its been working fine and quite quick with Amazon stuff they mostly get it to AddressPal within 2 days so I've been picking things up at the PO a week after ordering but its the PO thats the problem.

Was in town last week and when I got home I saw an email that had been sent at 10.45am saying there was an item to pick up. Today a notification was sent at about 10am. That really is too late to be sending out notifications for stuff that is in the PO when it opens in the morning.

I agree on the lateness, but I do think they arrive there later than the PO opens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I agree on the lateness, but I do think they arrive there later than the PO opens

Not what my local postman says who delivers the sacks (the parcels are in sealed sacks) to other local post offices at around 8am.

Not what my local postman says who delivers the sacks (the parcels are in sealed sacks) to other local post offices at around 8am.

That is annoying I suppose. I have received notifications as late as lunch time, and after too. I have stopped using Addresspal lately, anyway. I'd say where I am, city centre PO in Dublin, is really busy in the am, so if it is the ladies working there sending the notifications then they're too busy to do it any earlier.

That is annoying I suppose. I have received notifications as late as lunch time, and after too. I have stopped using Addresspal lately, anyway. I'd say where I am, city centre PO in Dublin, is really busy in the am, so if it is the ladies working there sending the notifications then they're too busy to do it any earlier.

Being busy is the excuse my local PO uses :(

Being busy is the excuse my local PO uses :(

It's a thankless job working for the post office - someone close to me delivers parcels and they have a ridiculous amount to deliver between 2 men in 1 van on a daily basis. You're taking 13 or 14 hours on the road daily, and that isn't even Christmas loot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Feck the US service is slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'm trying to add the US address to my Amazon account. It keeps suggesting a longer zip code. Has anyone had this before? Or will it make any difference leaving it with the longer code? The NJ 07726 remains the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

markc1184 wrote: »
    I'm trying to add the US address to my Amazon account. It keeps suggesting a longer zip code. Has anyone had this before? Or will it make any difference leaving it with the longer code? The NJ 07726 remains the same.

Iirc, you can get the long zip code from the USPS site, just by entering the address. It shouldn't really make a difference, though.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I had a parcel delivered to St. Alban's on Monday from Amazon and it was in my local PO this morning so three days after UK delivery seems to be pretty consistent by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just like everything from AP in the last while (bar Saturday Delivery) its totally half baked.

Workflow:
    Shipper → Local Carrier → AP → Removed from packaging → Customs Precheck → Repackage → TRACKING VOID → Portlaoise → Local DU → You (cant go to local PO for collection....).

Speed?
    Myself and a few others ordered a phone the same time from the states on the 6th of November. This gives an ok measure of AP Performance.

Nov 6 6AM Picked up by USPS in Montgomery
    ---Tour De US---
    Nov 9 8.30AM Out for delivery
    Nov 9 8.32AM Delivered to AP
    Nov 10 15.53PM Customs Info Request
    Nov 10 16.09PM Customs Info Sent Back
    Nov 13 1PM Release from Customs

Nov 13 1PM "Your AddressPal Item has been received" - DMC are usually far faster with this
    Nov 13 4PM Dispatched from the US
    Nov 17 Arrives Portlaoise
    Nov 20 Delivered
    Total 14 Days

USPS - AnPost Directly
    Ciderman: 8 Days (ordered hours after me)
    Suckit: 9 Days(Ordered on the 11th)

Made a tiny saving on shipping, fractional. For a slow service that ruins returns/rejecting items. Also, not signed for. €16 and they cant register it? GJ fellas, real pro.

As previously mentioned, forget it. Itll never really make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

Anyone know would I be stung for excess delivery charges for hooverboard?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Razor-Hovertrax-Balancing-Electric-Scooter/dp/B01JOW1XEQ

It's says on the AddressPal site anything over 20kg. This is 10kg but worried about the size of the box I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I've just ordered 6 second hand books from a US seller who would have charged €90 to ship to Ireland but is able to ship to the UK for €21. I presume they must have a container going over every couple of weeks or something. It's my first time using Address Pal - keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully they don't send 6 different packages costing me 6 Address Pal fees as well, but that wouldn't be the worst outcome.

OK, so the seller split the package. 5 books arrived together well inside the predicted time; by a trackable method. What I found interesting was that it came into Heathrow from the US and then appeared to come straight here to the post office in Dublin. I didn't see any indication that it went to Herts.

The 6th book arrived yesterday; had been sent by a slower, untracked method. Still within the timeframe that the seller gave.

A lot cheaper than if I had them shipped direct to Ireland.

Customer service in the GPO was pretty good when I went in the other day to check if the second package could have been forgotten on a shelf. They explained how they do things clearly enough that I was able to trust that it just hadn't arrived yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

Anyone know would I be stung for excess delivery charges for hooverboard?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Razor-Hovertrax-Balancing-Electric-Scooter/dp/B01JOW1XEQ

It's says on the AddressPal site anything over 20kg. This is 10kg but worried about the size of the box I guess

I got onto customer care on Amazon and they said the box size (outer box) will be 72cm x 28cm x 27cm so it will be tight and they have a charge of e25.00 if it goes over that. Parcel Motel may be safer at e7.00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

i ordered of ebay Currys pcworld page (their delivery times are ****e ) but was wondering when would it be time to start worrying about it ??
    it would be over 100e dearer here in same store is ur ans.

I got onto customer care on Amazon and they said the box size (outer box) will be 72cm x 28cm x 27cm so it will be tight and they have a charge of e25.00 if it goes over that. Parcel Motel may be safer at e7.00

For larger stuff I use DPD Parcel Wizard. As long as it's under 20kg, the driver told me they don't really bother about size - within reason, of course. Having been stung twice by AnPost for oversize (by seller numpties), I'm leary of their service where it might be a large parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tazb

ED E wrote: »
    Just like everything from AP in the last while (bar Saturday Delivery) its totally half baked.

Workflow:
    Shipper → Local Carrier → AP → Removed from packaging → Customs Precheck → Repackage → TRACKING VOID → Portlaoise → Local DU → You (cant go to local PO for collection....).

Speed?
    Myself and a few others ordered a phone the same time from the states on the 6th of November. This gives an ok measure of AP Performance.

Nov 6 6AM Picked up by USPS in Montgomery
    ---Tour De US---
    Nov 9 8.30AM Out for delivery
    Nov 9 8.32AM Delivered to AP
    Nov 10 15.53PM Customs Info Request
    Nov 10 16.09PM Customs Info Sent Back
    Nov 13 1PM Release from Customs

Nov 13 1PM "Your AddressPal Item has been received" - DMC are usually far faster with this
    Nov 13 4PM Dispatched from the US
    Nov 17 Arrives Portlaoise
    Nov 20 Delivered
    Total 14 Days

USPS - AnPost Directly
    Ciderman: 8 Days (ordered hours after me)
    Suckit: 9 Days(Ordered on the 11th)

Made a tiny saving on shipping, fractional. For a slow service that ruins returns/rejecting items. Also, not signed for. €16 and they cant register it? GJ fellas, real pro.

As previously mentioned, forget it. Itll never really make sense.

Thats very interesting,
    I bought Macbook pro on ebay in mid September and had it sent to addresspalUS. They emailed me to say it had arrrived. Its not been seen since
    . I have about 28 emails enquireys but no satisfaction from An Post, the US version stopped responding and An Post said its because of different time zone ?? They keep asking me if I have proof of delivery. Of course I have given it to them including a copy of the signature. Why did they email me to say they had recieved it and it had been processed ??
    Any advise ??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I got a E25 charge on a Lindt Advent chocolate advent calendar- that got shipped in a long box. They contacted me and changed it to a home delivery- for 6.90- which didn't have the same size restrictions.

The home delivery service- use completely different size limits :confused:

I got a E25 charge on a Lindt Advent chocolate advent calendar- that got shipped in a long box. They contacted me and changed it to a home delivery- for 6.90- which didn't have the same size restrictions.

The way my local main PO stores Addresspal stuff, in a heap on the floor behind the counter, they would run out of room very quickly if they didn't have size limits.

The way my local main PO stores Addresspal stuff, in a heap on the floor behind the counter, they would run out of room very quickly if they didn't have size limits.

It just seems very arbitrary.
    A long light parcel (less than 1kg in total) gets a E25 surcharge- for being long.
    4 car tyres, shipped separately to remain within limits- don't.
    I do totally *get* the whole dimensional weight thing- but for crying out loud- there should be some tiered scale for light packages- and additional penalties the heavier items get. A straight logarithmic scale- is no measure of the damage a car tyre getting tossed on a box with some computer equipment, static gas piping or anything delicate could do. Yet- if delicate items get damaged- its all- 'you mustn't have used sufficient packaging to protect the box'- there is no cognisance of the eejit who played hoops with a few tyres tossing them at a mountain of smaller boxes in the depot.............

Does not compute.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Are address pal ok for large TV delivery?

• Advertisement

It just seems very arbitrary.
    A long light parcel (less than 1kg in total) gets a E25 surcharge- for being long.
    4 car tyres, shipped separately to remain within limits- don't.
    I do totally *get* the whole dimensional weight thing- but for crying out loud- there should be some tiered scale for light packages- and additional penalties the heavier items get. A straight logarithmic scale- is no measure of the damage a car tyre getting tossed on a box with some computer equipment, static gas piping or anything delicate could do. Yet- if delicate items get damaged- its all- 'you mustn't have used sufficient packaging to protect the box'- there is no cognisance of the eejit who played hoops with a few tyres tossing them at a mountain of smaller boxes in the depot.............

Does not compute.

I've not actually looked up the limits again so may be wrong but I don't see how a car tyre would get through?

You just have to realise that they are simpletons at An Post and a graded system would be far to complicated for them to run.

So just looked up the limits no way should a car tyre should get through (31cm x 25cm x 72cm) .

I've not actually looked up the limits again so may be wrong but I don't see how a car tyre would get through?

You just have to realise that they are simpletons at An Post and a graded system would be far to complicated for them to run.

So just looked up the limits no way should a car tyre should get through (31cm x 25cm x 72cm) .

Home delivery for the tyres- @ less than 150cm length and a total girth of less than 300cm (and less than 20kg in total per single item).

Loads of boardsies get tyres on Amazon and elsewhere delivered over here- even paying the 6.90- its less than half the price for many performance tyres of buying them locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A shoe box wouldn't incur any extra charges I'm guessing?

kneemos wrote: »
    A shoe box wouldn't incur any extra charges I'm guessing?

Depends on whats in the shoebox!

If its a gold its a brick it may be over weight but no extra charge as An Post will loose it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Only trainers. They don't weight much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I ordered exactly the same thing :pac:

Mine came in a normal box with no problems.

Was the calender fulfilled by Amazon?
    The warehouse monkeys there are notorious for picking the largest box for the smallest item. It's a challenge for them, and no doubt brightens up a dull day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

lads never order from currys/pcworld uk they are a joke!! still waiting for a delivery a wk L8r!!

Is address pal considered a po box ???

• Advertisement

Is address pal considered a po box ???

Some sellers consider it that. A tiny minority though.

Advertisement