Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Amazon says parcel was delivered yesterday, no update on website yet. It would be nice to know the parcel is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

I tried to get a parcel delivered to the an post address in the uk. Courier said that the addressee refused to sign for it. No idea why, leaves me kind of screwed. Won't use the service again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    I tried to get a parcel delivered to the an post address in the uk. Courier said that the addressee refused to sign for it. No idea why, leaves me kind of screwed. Won't use the service again

How big was the parcel, the FAQ states that they will refuse certain over-sized items:
    Oversized items maximum dimensions:

Length: 1.5 metres.
    Length + Girth: 3 metres.
    To calculate Girth: 2 x (Depth + Width).

Items that exceed these dimensions will be refused at our UK Hub.

Otherwise that is really disappointing if they simply refuse items without giving a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Did the courier not give a reason?

Have you asked An Post for a reason?

What was it as a matter of interest?

courier said that the person just refused to sign for anything, thats all i know so far. Waiting to hear back from an post. It was just some glassware so nothing that could be restricted, that I'm aware of anyway.

• Advertisement

courier said that the person just refused to sign for anything, thats all i know so far. Waiting to hear back from an post. It was just some glassware so nothing that could be restricted, that I'm aware of anyway.

Thats a strange one alright, its completely pointless if they refuse to sign for items - you have no control over the seller sending it "signed for".

My usual An Parcel Courier driver just showed up and handed me an Express Post with Signature envelope from Address Pal which contained my Address Pal Card.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Got my Address Pal collection card in the post today by registered mail,

Its a credit card size plastic card with my addresspal address on the front and my chosen Post Office collection address on the back. That took exactly 5 working days to be delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This clause, potentially?
    Every Item shall be adequately packed as a protection against damage in course of transmission. An Post reserves the right to refuse any Item it deems to be inadequately packed or likely to cause damage to other Items, to staff or to equipment.
    If it was glassware but just in a box or something, maybe they thought it was likely to break?

Bad form though for them not to give a reason. Parcel Motel refused to accept a case of wine for me in Belfast but at least they told the courier why.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

seamus wrote: »
    Bad form though for them not to give a reason. Parcel Motel refused to accept a case of wine for me in Belfast but at least they told the courier why.

Maybe the did tell the delivery driver why but they didn't note the reason or when the carrier was contacted they never actually checked with the delivery driver t find out more info and instead just repeated what the tracking says.

Wouldn't be uncommon for a carrier not to give specific details for this type of thing, its seriously common for deliverys'

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    This clause, potentially?If it was glassware but just in a box or something, maybe they thought it was likely to break?
    I've bought stuff from this seller before and it was impeccably packaged, the box was double layered with cardboard inside and everything individually wrapped in zip locked bubble wrap bags so i'd doubt there was an issue with the packaging. Trying to get more info from the courier now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

The maximum size has changed to 72cm X 31cm X 25cm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭blade1

wtlltw wrote: »

Was that not the size all along?

wtlltw wrote: »

It was always that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I think it's a great idea. It really helps those of us who don't live in Dublin or in a town with a parcel motel.
    There's post offices everywhere and while the only open to 5.30, they do open 6 days a week, so even if you are working full time, you should still be able to get in.
    And we all know someone who's unemployed, give them something to do and get them to collect your parcel. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Why are people so protective of An Post?

There are advantages and disadvantages to the new service.

Unfortunately the disadvantages make it unusable for many people who work standard office hours.

So yeah, I will complain about that because frankly, its crap.

Whoopy doo - a UK mainland address - not much use if I cant use the service because I have a job. So - no advantage to me or thousands of other people.

Normal office hours don't apply to Saturdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

blade1 wrote: »
    Was that not the size all along?

My bad I was looking at the 26x26x26 posts, but realised what they are discussing now lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭dodzy

A colleague who works for an post is looking for real feedback, so I thought no better place to come then here. So, gripes with the service include:

Oversized dimensions charge is ridiculously high
    Oversized max dimensions need to be reviewed
    Users are restricted to post office opening times for collection
    Queuing in Postoffice
    No "deliver to alternate address" option
    No insurance cover option
    User number assigned is too long
    'address pal' is viewed as a potential error and therefor is auto-erased by some sellers (Amazon for example)

Please add anything I've left out

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Normal office hours don't apply to Saturdays.

Many of them don't open on Saturday.

It's not much use to me if a parcel arrives on a Monday and they only hold it 5 days, as it won't still be there on Saturday.

Not to mention the fact that I don't want to have to wait til Saturday to collect my parcels, I want them ASAP of course.

dodzy wrote: »
    A colleague who works for an post is looking for real feedback, so I thought no better place to come then here. So, gripes with the service include:

User number assigned is too long
    'address pal' is viewed as a potential error and therefor is auto-erased by some sellers (Amazon for example)

Please add anything I've left out

Having to queue in a busy post office and waste loads of time to collect a parcel. Wouldn't fancy trying to collect one on dole day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Amazon have done this with some of my Parcel Motel orders too. It sometimes removes my account number. Then the great guys & gals at Parcel Motel ring me & I have to describe what I ordered.

Quque in post office is the biggest drawback for me, although Im not sure why I'd leave Parcel Motel as I'm happy with the service

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Amazon have done this with some of my Parcel Motel orders too. It sometimes removes my account number. Then the great guys & gals at Parcel Motel ring me & I have to describe what I ordered.

Quque in post office is the biggest drawback for me, although Im not sure why I'd leave Parcel Motel as I'm happy with the service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

My local one to work closes for lunch!! So can't even go queue!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

dodzy wrote: »
    [...]

Queuing in Postoffice
    User number assigned is waaaaaaay too long

[...]

Highlighted most important ones (in MY opinion).

And another one to add to a list:

No option for home delivery (at extra cost of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If there was an option for say an extra €3 to get it delivered to an alternate address I reckon it could be the best service of the lot.

A lot of people saying they can't make the post office during office hours,lunch time and even Saturdays.
    I feel for you, your life's seem like a prison sentence!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭david65

I'm in a rural area and the nearest parcel motel is a round trip of about 40 miles, I do understand the concerns from those posters in urban area's with opening hour's etc.,but a 5mile trip to the local po is the way to go for me. My one concern like other posters is the potential large charge for excess packages. Anyway I will be giving it a go!

blade1 wrote: »
    A lot of people saying they can't make the post office during office hours,lunch time and even Saturdays.
    I feel for you, your life's seem like a prison sentence!:(

Yeah, welcome to working office hours. It IS a prison sentence!

I think you are missing the problem though, a lot of post offices don't actually open during lunch time or on Saturdays.

finally got to the bottom of what's happened to my delivery. First time attempted delivery at uk address was refused, didn't state why on the courier website. Second attempt, delivered fine and signed for. Logged back into the parcelforce (courier) site today and it says parcel was returned as it was damaged.
    Fair enough but it would be nice if an post gave some updates. Leaves me kind of screwed as parcelforce are holding the package and won't send it back to the sender unless they get in touch requesting it back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Item arrived today to my local post office, got the text and went and picked it up. Excellent service, my post office is small and very rural so it never has a queue there unless maybe on Pension day or if there was someone before you. For me AddressPal is the perfect system for me.

I will get all my items sent there from now on, I live 30kms from my nearest Parcel Motel and I will be using a combination of AddressPal and DPD Parcel Wizard (for larger items).

Advertisement