Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've only used Address Pal twice and both times have been a disaster. In the first case I got my package 3 weeks later but this time is a complete calamity

I ordered an item which was delivered by FedEx to Address Pal in the UK on 26/02/18. I waited a week and when I heard nothing I emailed AP to ask. After asking for tracking numbers etc for the courier (which I sent) they email me and tell me there is duty owing and it would have to be paid. I rang fedex and paid the fee (which I was aware of) and I advise Address Pal that I had paid it and could they give me an estimate when the package would be delivered.

I then get an email asking for a picture of the item so that they can locate it in their warehouse. I told them it was in a box and so a picture was bloody useless and that my name was on the box. Every reply raised a ticket and someone new replied each time.

So it appears that they are aware I owed customs tax of £28 which was paid but they don't know where my package is.

I will never be using their service again, its absolutely appalling and amateur. Unfortunately the original seller wouldn't for some reason ship to either Ireland or Northern Ireland and so I used Address Pal. Never again, I'#ll do without or find some other method of delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 redguy1190

I'm looking at buying something from the UK, from Currys website. It isn't available from the Currys/PC world here. I've read a few of the pages here and it seems to be a mixed response to addresspal which has me in two minds over whether to use the service or not. The item is quite expensive so I don't know if to risk it or not. Is it really that likely to go wrong as it's An Post and I've never had issues with getting packages off them before?

Can somebody also clarify if the hub in UK will sign for the items as anything from Currys requires a signature once delivered?

The item in question can also be got from Littlewoods here (albeit €150-200-ish more) but I've heard nothing but nightmare stories about them and their delivery and service. Would I be stupid to take the risk with addresspal in the event something goes wrong during the process just to save €150 and chance Littlewoods instead even though they have an equally mixed if not outright bad reputation?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jumbells

redguy1190 wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying something from the UK, from Currys website. It isn't available from the Currys/PC world here. I've read a few of the pages here and it seems to be a mixed response to addresspal which has me in two minds over whether to use the service or not. The item is quite expensive so I don't know if to risk it or not. Is it really that likely to go wrong as it's An Post and I've never had issues with getting packages off them before?

Can somebody also clarify if the hub in UK will sign for the items as anything from Currys requires a signature once delivered?

The item in question can also be got from Littlewoods here (albeit €150-200-ish more) but I've heard nothing but nightmare stories about them and their delivery and service. Would I be stupid to take the risk with addresspal in the event something goes wrong during the process just to save €150 and chance Littlewoods instead even though they have an equally mixed if not outright bad reputation?

Don't use address pal I lost a 450 euro laptop with them and given no compensation. It's strange too all my low value items with addresspal arrived but the expensive item went missing despite tracking showing it was delivered to addresspal. Use Parcel wizard or parcel motel. I use parcel wizard and have never been let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

I've used it 7 or 8 times with the UK address, and once with the US address. Have had no issues at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Jumbells wrote: »
    Don't use address pal I lost a 450 euro laptop with them and given no compensation. It's strange too all my low value items with addresspal arrived but the expensive item went missing despite tracking showing it was delivered to addresspal. Use Parcel wizard or parcel motel. I use parcel wizard and have never been let down.

I've had 7 laptops delivered over the last 12 months without incident (mixture of sources)- I've also had an interesting variety of spare parts- only issue encountered was with VAT/Duty etc- coming via the UK from the US.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

I've had 7 laptops delivered over the last 12 months without incident (mixture of sources)- I've also had an interesting variety of spare parts- only issue encountered was with VAT/Duty etc- coming via the UK from the US.
    Have to agree with you. I started using Address Pal over 2 years ago because I was fed up with Parcel Motel. I have never had an issue with Address Pal and I am using them at least 2 or 3 times per week. Excellent and reliable service.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Like any postal service, it's a matter of luck whether the odd thief in the system grabs your goods or not. The Post Offices of various countries do their best to stamp it out, but they're not entirely successful. Most of the time your goods will arrive safely, but I'd not trust a service like Address Pal for anything worth more than 100 Euros.
    Bear in mind that thieves have their own sources of intelligence and once it became known the organisation of AP (at least in its early days) was akin to party arrangements in a brewery, you can bet your ass that the odd crooked delivery driver knew he could easily forge a squiggle as a signature and it would never be provable it hadn't been delivered.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have used it around 30 times with no problems

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I have been using AP on a regular basis for about 15 months, though only for fairly low value items and have never had any issues with them. However, after reading about the problems that many posters have had with them, I would be very wary about using them for any high value items.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I don’t think CUrrys will deliver to any of the forwarding services. AddressPal limit of insurance is €40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Do not use currys they will not deliver or use address pal i tried the same thing & it cost me nothing but trouble. it was impossible to get money back of them in the end ebay gave me my money back cause they would not respond i posted about this earlier in the thread(they do have an ebay site )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

I have used addresspal for the last year or so mostly for amazon UK purchases .
    For the first time I have the problem of returning goods to amazon. They only an have an option for collecting from address in was delivered to.

I order goods from amazon.co.uk and got the wrong ones delivered though addresspal.

Does addresspal allow a collection from it's UK address back to amazon? if so how is it done?

I downloaded returnpal app, but amazon is not on list and I do not have a return address for amazon to add it manually.

P.S.
    I spoke to Amazon in the UK and they have agreed to refund the money and I do not have to return the item sent to me by mistake.
    Nice Customer Relations from Amazon.:):D

It still would be interesting to find out how to return goods through addresspal to Amazon UK if I need to do so in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Say your name on your AP account is Raymond Soap, if I changed that to R. Soap on my ebay/amazon addresses, (so to help make sure that my AP number prints out fully on labels) would this cause hassle for anpost.

Anyone try this?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

I use the ‘deliver at home’ service from AddressPal for expensive goods from the UK and haven’t had any problems as it’s tracked to your home from when it reaches their depot in St Albans.
    Unfortunately Amazon used UPS to deliver my printer and UPS handed it to Fastmail in Cork who basically stole it. A Fastmail employee scanned it as delivered so Amazon think it’s been delivered but 2 months on, there’s still no sign of it and Fastmail office staff are useless.
    Everything I’ve ordered via AnPost has always arrived so I will continue to use them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MinnieMinx wrote: »
    I use the ‘deliver at home’ service from AddressPal for expensive goods from the UK and haven’t had any problems as it’s tracked to your home from when it reaches their depot in St Albans.
    Unfortunately Amazon used UPS to deliver my printer and UPS handed it to Fastmail in Cork who basically stole it. A Fastmail employee scanned it as delivered so Amazon think it’s been delivered but 2 months on, there’s still no sign of it and Fastmail office staff are useless.
    Everything I’ve ordered via AnPost has always arrived so I will continue to use them.

Ask Amazon for a proof of delivery with your signature. If they can’t provide it they need to send you another one. I don’t know why UPS would hand it to anyone else in Cork, they have their own vans for deliveries.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Ask Amazon for a proof of delivery with your signature. If they can’t provide it they need to send you another one. I don’t know why UPS would hand it to anyone else in Cork, they have their own vans for deliveries.

UPS commonly sub to Fastmail in my area.
    Frankly, the Fastmail driver who does the run now (not the old one) is a tube; leaving parcels out in the rain, and legging it sharpish.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    UPS commonly sub to Fastmail in my area.
    Frankly, the Fastmail driver who does the run now (not the old one) is a tube; leaving parcels out in the rain, and legging it sharpish.

You shouldn't have to, but UPS normally take these things seriously. Ring your local depot and speak to the manager. Drivers who do things like that have no place working in this business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

whiterebel wrote: »
    You shouldn't have to, but UPS normally take these things seriously. Ring your local depot and speak to the manager. Drivers who do things like that have no place working in this business.
    Thats basically theft sure. they wouldnt like that if you threatened further action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

quick question what's the benefit to use address pal for US ? most companies ship here anyway, and you get hit with vat and other expenses, since only reason i can come up with its getting smth of like ebay where they would sell way cheaper down in US but counting in weight vat on some items dont think theres much space for savings or am i wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

scamalert wrote: »
    quick question what's the benefit to use address pal for US ? most companies ship here anyway, and you get hit with vat and other expenses, since only reason i can come up with its getting smth of like ebay where they would sell way cheaper down in US but counting in weight vat on some items dont think theres much space for savings or am i wrong ?

Well for me recently I manged to buy a video game 20 euro cheaper via Address Pal USA from the American seller over the UK seller that is including the postage charges from An Post. Had to wait one extra week for it to arrive but I saved 20 Euro so worth the wait.

There is room for savings when you look into items

• Advertisement

I regularly see stuff that companies won't ship outside the Continental 48, or if they do, is cost-prohibitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

I got an Amazon Fire TV for $45 from Amazon.com warehouse plus the €15.99 delivery, Amazon.co.uk sell them for £70 and would have paid €3.75 delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Got a text yesterday saying my item has arrived, went down today no sign of it anywhere. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

For some types of items, particularly used, there's a much better selection on US ebay. Just set up US addresspal as your address and do a search - you'll be amazed at the extra stuff that shows up.

I've bought a few bits and pieces of a/v equipment that are rare as hens teeth here but very popular in the US. Even with internal shipping, addresspal shipping, dury and vat, they work out at decent prices.

Very good service, apart from the fact that you don't get any indication of duty/vat amount until the postman shows up demanding cash (they can't take cards).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    I ordered something via addresspal US. Got an email yesterday saying item had arrived but no invoice so they couldn't process customs charge. They asked me to reply to the email with proof of purchase and cost. I emailed back yesterday but have not heard anything back. Email said it would be returned to sender within 3 days if I didn't get in touch. Anyone have experience of this? When will the item show up in addresspal website?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Hi folks,
    I ordered something via addresspal US. Got an email yesterday saying item had arrived but no invoice so they couldn't process customs charge. They asked me to reply to the email with proof of purchase and cost. I emailed back yesterday but have not heard anything back. Email said it would be returned to sender within 3 days if I didn't get in touch. Anyone have experience of this? When will the item show up in addresspal website?
    Thanks,
    Mick

I've had this on all packages I've sent throigh the service.

You won't get an acknowledgement of your document submission (unless something is incorrect or missing). The next thing you receive should be a couple of automated messages indicating package has been processed and giving you an An Post tracking number. This can take a day or so.

Things will go silent for about 5 days as the package is transported and then you'll be notified that it's arrived in Portlaoise. You may again encounter radio silence for a few days as the package gets processed by custsoms. (though you'll see lots of package movement updates on the tracking portal). Then, you'll have a surprise 'your package is out for delivery' message.

Have some cash on hand if you expect duty and VAT charges - you won't get noified on what these are until the postman shows up at your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

meep wrote: »
    I've had this on all packages I've sent throigh the service.

You won't get an acknowledgement of your document submission (unless something is incorrect or missing). The next thing you receive should be a couple of automated messages indicating package has been processed and giving you an An Post tracking number. This can take a day or so.

Things will go silent for about 5 days as the package is transported and then you'll be notified that it's arrived in Portlaoise. You may again encounter radio silence for a few days as the package gets processed by custsoms. (though you'll see lots of package movement updates on the tracking portal). Then, you'll have a surprise 'your package is out for delivery' message.

Have some cash on hand if you expect duty and VAT charges - you won't get noified on what these are until the postman shows up at your doorstep.

Thanks, so now news is good news? I was just worried they'd send back to store and I wouldn't get it delivered at all. Does it track via the address pal website like parcel motel?

Thanks, so now news is good news? I was just worried they'd send back to store and I wouldn't get it delivered at all. Does it track via the address pal website like parcel motel?

I'd say if you don't gte the automated 'accepted' mail within 2 days of sending in your docs, send another message.

I've always tracked on the normal An Post tracker tool. You get a standard parcel ID that works there. I'm not sure what addresspal site shows in terms of detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Got a text yesterday saying my item has arrived, went down today no sign of it anywhere. :(

Following up from this, parcel is lost apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Following up from this, parcel is lost apparently.

Is whatever you ordered of high value? Because if it is many other posters have had similar problems with deliveries of high value items through AP.

Advertisement