Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Just to offer some hope to people a item i ordered from Wish start of Dec & was never delivered & was lost & got refunded for Near end of Jan Wasnt i suprised when i got a package @ the start of April & it was the item i had ordered over over 4 months ago :eek::eek::D:D:D might be some hope if u ever lose an item dont know who delivered it though was left outside the door. (i didnt use address pal )

Your neighbour's conscience eventually bothered him enough to get off his lazy arse and give it to you.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Your neighbour's conscience eventually bothered him enough to get off his lazy arse and give it to you.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Used the service a few times. It works fine for me. Not cheap but they do what they say.

I like An Post, my daughter went to Canada and she says you never realise how good it is until you have a lousy postal service.

You will pay duty and VAT. So only really makes sense where you have a rare or significantly cheaper item.

Ask the eBayer to put an invoice on the outside of the package to save time. If they don't you'll be asked by email for it.

sugarman wrote: »
    Thinking of trying Address Pal from the US for an item off eBay, fairly hesitant after reading some of the negative comments on here.

Are they as bad as being made out?

Will I likely be pulled for customs on an used item of clothing from eBay?

Its like a lotto bud Some people are always lucky & some people are not

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

sugarman wrote: »
    Thinking of trying Address Pal from the US for an item off eBay, fairly hesitant after reading some of the negative comments on here.

Are they as bad as being made out?

Will I likely be pulled for customs on an used item of clothing from eBay?

Used it for the first time, farcical organisation, delays and mystery tracking down of your package. Look to have found package at last, with little or no help from them, good idea for a service, incompetence and lack of caring from an post themselves a problem. Parcel motel never 1/10 of the problem, with about 100 deliveries compared to 1 with address pal

Having said that if it’s an item you can’t get in Europe, then maybe it’s worth the risk.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    Used it for the first time, farcical organisation, delays and mystery tracking down of your package. Look to have found package at last, with little or no help from them, good idea for a service, incompetence and lack of caring from an post themselves a problem. Parcel motel never 1/10 of the problem, with about 100 deliveries compared to 1 with address pal

Having said that if it’s an item you can’t get in Europe, then maybe it’s worth the risk.

By the way Parcel Motel /Nightline are now Ups. Ups bought them out. i think was so they can use parcel motel now as well.

You seem to have come with a bashing agenda. You used the service once and you call it a farcical organisation, incompetence lack of caring. This is based on expectations that they didn't agree to and a sample of one.

They are very clear that they consolidate the shipments which takes time. They are also clear that you won't have tracking.

Read the deal before you start bashing.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

paddy19 wrote: »

You seem to have come with a bashing agenda. You used the service once and you call it a farcical organisation, incompetence lack of caring. This is based on expectations that they didn't agree to and a sample of one.

They are very clear that they consolidate the shipments which takes time. They are also clear that you won't have tracking.

Yep, waiting 13 years to give the ‘bashing agenda’ an outing, real deep cover stuff!

You seem to have misunderstood or misread my post, ‘ read the deal, expectations they didn’t agree to’ not sure what you are talking about.

I have a tracking number and tracking data once package hit Ireland, so if they are clear you won’t have tracking then why would I have that? The issue is that it was wrong and claimed a delivery than didn’t happen, then didn’t update for a week but the package wasn’t where the tracking said it was.

They didn’t answer the phone or any email queries about it. Again pretty sure it’s not in the ‘read the deal’ that they will claim to have delivered when they haven’t, give you incorrect details and then not answer any queries. Then it turned out to be in the depot that said twice they didn’t have it. Then they couldn’t give it to me the third time because their payment machine was broken and has ‘been forever’. They also admitted it hadn’t been attempted delivery.

It’s not a sample of 1 with a minor issue, it’s endemic system failures, incompetence and just crap customer service and it’s a direct experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

U

What? Their "How it works" page clearly states that there's tracking on the home delivery service.

You might want to "read the deal" yourself

Hands up, I was wrong, they do have a tracking system.

Here's my problem, I don't think it is fair to condemn a whole system based on a sample of one no matter how badly it's handled.

I have had problems with screwed up shipments from all the couriers and none of them handle them very well. The tendency is that once it goes wrong it just gets worse. I have found An Post no better or no worse than the rest. Obviously in your experience they made a total pigs ear out of your shipment. Take a look at the blog on any of the couriers and you'll find plenty of horror stories.

To me, the ultimate if frustrating test is that you eventually got the shipment. It's real pain when a courier looses a shipment, never finds it and offers miserable compensation.

For a fair comparison you need, but hopefully will not have, a lost shipment with other couriers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Does the PO usually stick to the 5 day rule for holding the item?

What happens if the PO returns your item. Do they generally send it back to Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

KOR101 wrote: »
    Does the PO usually stick to the 5 day rule for holding the item?

What happens if the PO returns your item. Do they generally send it back to Amazon?

1. What happens if I do not collect my item from my nominated Post Office

• If you do not collect your item after a period of 5 working days, we will endeavour to return the item to sender. An Post accepts no responsibility with regard return to sender items and retains the right to dispose of any item that fails to be collected

danjo-xx wrote: »
    1. What happens if I do not collect my item from my nominated Post Office
      • If you do not collect your item after a period of 5 working days, we will endeavour to return the item to sender. An Post accepts no responsibility with regard return to sender items and retains the right to dispose of any item that fails to be collected

Oh I know what it says.........the question is about what ACTUALLY happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is this service still going - some of the links are broken on the site?

If something was posted tomorrow when would it likely be available in the PO?

And do you really need the AddressPal card thing to pick up a parcel or will driving licence or such be ok (no idea where the card is)?

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

fritzelly wrote: »
    Is this service still going - some of the links are broken on the site?

If something was posted tomorrow when would it likely be available in the PO?

And do you really need the AddressPal card thing to pick up a parcel or will driving licence or such be ok (no idea where the card is)?

TIA

From when your item reaches St Albans its normally 3-5 working days for me.

I don't need the AddressPal card as they know me in the PO and never ask for it. If they don't know you then they'll want the card but ID might do.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Recently started using AP.

Got 2 parcels to my local post office (as I requested) now a 3rd shipment has been routed for home delivery.

I contacted customer support. They advised that the full AP number was not used therefore the default is to ship to the home address. I specifically wanted it sent to the post office as I will not be home during the day to receive. Also the home delivery is €5.99 v's €3.75 for collection.

This to me is a sly move by AP. IMO the default should be deliver to nominated PO.

/Rant

jim salter wrote: »
    Recently started using AP.

Got 2 parcels to my local post office (as I requested) now a 3rd shipment has been routed for home delivery.

I contacted customer support. They advised that the full AP number was not used therefore the default is to ship to the home address. I specifically wanted it sent to the post office as I will not be home during the day to receive. Also the home delivery is €5.99 v's €3.75 for collection.

This to me is a sly move by AP. IMO the default should be deliver to nominated PO.

/Rant
    Is it such a problem that you won't be at home during the day. They just leave a notice and then you can pick it up yourself from the local delivery depot which is usually not that far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

KOR101 wrote: »
    Is it such a problem that you won't be at home during the day. They just leave a notice and then you can pick it up yourself from the local delivery depot which is usually not that far away.

Gotta love boards.

Yes, it is such a problem that I won't be home during the day. The local PO is a few minutes walk, the local depot is significantly further.

Also, I selected delivery to the local PO specifically due to proximity and cost.

There is actually 2 different cards for home delivery & post office. One without the post office & ap code & the one with the post office delivery. So which ever one was written down that is the only one they will deliver to & cant change it. When i registered for home delivery i got sent a 2nd card to just for home delivery with the address on it to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Folks quick question. I is ParcelMotel for all AliExpress deliveries and I was buying an Amazfit watch from a seller that would ship the watch from Spain so I paid the €145 euros for it but a week later I got a message from the seller saying their courier would not deliver to remote location (Belfast). So I was thinking of trying AddressPal as they have a mainland address. But just a bit worried as it says in their faq that item isn’t insured and addresspal items are handled securely. Anyone care to comment on big value items sent via addresspal.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Folks quick question. I is ParcelMotel for all AliExpress deliveries and I was buying an Amazfit watch from a seller that would ship the watch from Spain so I paid the €145 euros for it but a week later I got a message from the seller saying their courier would not deliver to remote location (Belfast). So I was thinking of trying AddressPal as they have a mainland address. But just a bit worried as it says in their faq that item isn’t insured and addresspal items are handled securely. Anyone care to comment on big value items sent via addresspal.
    Thanks

Judging by the comments previously posted on here, I would say don't use AP for high value items as if you do it`s highly likely they will go missing,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i dont use AP but registered to this thread from start and have to say besides few lucky ones every time i see smth pop up its always missing delayed or some other bad news. Use paypal or maybe look who might sell to NI extra few euros, might hurt but long term saves a lot of headaches, as pw,pm are more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Thanks

I think addresspal is for Items purchased in UK only.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

...I wouldn't tbh, too much hassle. PW for home / work deliveries or PM for pickup as their lockers are available 24h per day

"i dont use AP but registered to this thread from start and have to say besides few lucky ones every time i see smth pop up its always missing delayed or some other bad news. Use paypal or maybe look who might sell to NI extra few euros, might hurt but long term saves a lot of headaches, as pw,pm are more reliable. "

"besides few lucky ones"

You have never used the service and yet you condemn it based on complaints on this thread.

Hardly a statistical sample. Obviously people who have complaints are much more likely to highlight here.

I use PM and AP. Both work fine.
    My local Post Office is just down the road. PM is a drive away.

So horses for courses.

"
    So horses for courses.

Were them horses post Office or home delivery ??:P:D:D:D

Is AddressPAL a bad idea for a high value item like a Nintendo Switch then?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Have a look at their T&Cs to see what their cover is limited to. Not pretty.

Between Harvey norman ,Pc world/currys, Argos & Smyths you bound to get a good deal on one of them & save yourself the hassle of ordering it online. Also if it does go faulty remember an Post does not pay for returns. so it could cost u more in the long run if something went wrong.

• Advertisement

I won't chance it so. Thing is simplygames.com have them for £250 which is about €50 cheaper than current prices here. Also I need one soon before Nintendo fix the hardware mod with new stock.

Advertisement