Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

Disappointing to see posters avoiding the service over fear their higher value items will go missing. If An Post can't manage to carry a few 100 parcels over from the UK for internal delivery without loosing some... it's damn poor.

I don't know do An Post reps read this forum but if I was to add some feedback, they need to improve... 1. the tools they give PO staff for logging newly arrived parcels into the system and 2. the time it takes for the email / SMS notifications to fire

I got an unexpected call from my cousin this morning who was in the local PO where an AddressPal package had arrived for me! Some plonker along the way slapped a label over the address label and covered the end of the AP ID. My name was visible as was the beginning of the long ID but the important last few digits were hidden. The poor postmistress had spent all morning trying to carefully remove the offending label as she couldn't log the parcel in as received (and trigger the notification) without the full ID. If they can't log a parcel in, they have to reject it and it is returned to sender - despite my name being visible. When she couldn't remove the label, she tried combinations of what the last few digits might be... bless her!! My cousin walked in just at the right time and managed to save the day. Better again, the postmistress handed the package to my cousin to give to me, no authorisation form or ID needed

An Post's internal processes and tools should allow instances like this to be dealt with swiftly. Give the staff access to the database of AP customers so they can search a name, filter to their PO, etc. The fact the process fails because a bit of the ID is missing despite a name they recognised being clearly visible is not dependable.

I haven't seen the package yet but if it turns out it's one of those AddressPal labels that was covering the address, they're gonna hear from me! Based on past packages, I reckon they must have created a job in the sorting centre for someone to stand covering packages with AddressPal labels

Number 2... the time it takes for the email notifications to send. I timed it this morning... exactly 1 hour from the time the postmistress logged it in. This is pretty poor... email is near instant and I imagine the transaction is logged in their systems instantly so they need to tighten up the sending end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

dollylama wrote: »
    Disappointing to see posters avoiding the service over fear their higher value items will go missing. If An Post can't manage to carry a few 100 parcels over from the UK for internal delivery without loosing some... it's damn poor.

I don't know do An Post reps read this forum but if I was to add some feedback, they need to improve... 1. the tools they give PO staff for logging newly arrived parcels into the system and 2. the time it takes for the email / SMS notifications to fire

I got an unexpected call from my cousin this morning who was in the local PO where an AddressPal package had arrived for me! Some plonker along the way slapped a label over the address label and covered the end of the AP ID. My name was visible as was the beginning of the long ID but the important last few digits were hidden. The poor postmistress had spent all morning trying to carefully remove the offending label as she couldn't log the parcel in as received (and trigger the notification) without the full ID. If they can't log a parcel in, they have to reject it and it is returned to sender - despite my name being visible. When she couldn't remove the label, she tried combinations of what the last few digits might be... bless her!! My cousin walked in just at the right time and managed to save the day. Better again, the postmistress handed the package to my cousin to give to me, no authorisation form or ID needed

An Post's internal processes and tools should allow instances like this to be dealt with swiftly. Give the staff access to the database of AP customers so they can search a name, filter to their PO, etc. The fact the process fails because a bit of the ID is missing despite a name they recognised being clearly visible is not dependable.

I haven't seen the package yet but if it turns out it's one of those AddressPal labels that was covering the address, they're gonna hear from me! Based on past packages, I reckon they must have created a job in the sorting centre for someone to stand covering packages with AddressPal labels

Number 2... the time it takes for the email notifications to send. I timed it this morning... exactly 1 hour from the time the postmistress logged it in. This is pretty poor... email is near instant and I imagine the transaction is logged in their systems instantly so they need to tighten up the sending end

Don't the scan the parcel - was there no barcode?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Better again, the postmistress handed the package to my cousin to give to me, no authorisation form or ID needed

I believe that's actually a disciplinary offence , given that a less than honest person could claim that they never received the item

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

SPDUB wrote: »
    Better again, the postmistress handed the package to my cousin to give to me, no authorisation form or ID needed

I believe that's actually a disciplinary offence , given that a less than honest person could claim that they never received the item

Not necessarily a disciplinary offence, on the system after the item is scanned before being handed to the customer, the postmistress inputs into the system the type of I.D used by the customer, there is a box "personally known" which can be ticked instead of asking for I.D.
    The customer would also be on cctv accepting the parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Jacovs

First time having an issue with a lost parcel using this service. Used it about 5-6 times before for bigger heavy parcels of more value. This time its a small parcel worth only about 20euro.
    To their credit, I sent an email to their support email just there at 21:17 on a friday night and actually got a reply. Not good news, but at least something. Parcel delivered to them in UK on the 4th but they cant see anything for me in the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Jacovs wrote: »
    First time having an issue with a lost parcel using this service. Used it about 5-6 times before for bigger heavy parcels of more value. This time its a small parcel worth only about 20euro.
    To their credit, I sent an email to their support email just there at 21:17 on a friday night and actually got a reply. Not good news, but at least something. Parcel delivered to them in UK on the 4th but they cant see anything for me in the system.

Bad news for you but parcel companies lose stuff all the time - can't just single out AddressPal (iParcel have to be the worst tho, lost a few things from them from Amazon)

fritzelly wrote: »
    Bad news for you but parcel companies lose stuff all the time - can't just single out AddressPal (iParcel have to be the worst tho, lost a few things from them from Amazon)

Not really singling them out, but since they have been giving me consistently good service they have been the only 1 of this type service I have used so cant comment on other similar services.
    Im lucky it was a low value parcel. Might have to reorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not really singling them out, but since they have been giving me consistently good service they have been the only 1 of this type service I have used so cant comment on other similar services.
    Im lucky it was a low value parcel. Might have to reorder.

Wasn't accusing you of singling them out, some posts in here are less than complimentary. Used them a few times now with no problem (actually probably quicker than when they would deliver to Ireland using Amazon delivery)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Quick question lads.
    Haven't used ap in over a year.
    I just logged in there and part of the address I think changed.
    On the website it says
    "4 the Merlin centre"
    While my card says
    "Unit 5 the merlin centre"
    Does it matter which one?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

honda boi wrote: »
    Quick question lads.
    Haven't used ap in over a year.
    I just logged in there and part of the address I think changed.
    On the website it says
    "4 the Merlin centre"
    While my card says
    "Unit 5 the merlin centre"
    Does it matter which one?
    Thanks
    I'm certainly using 4 The Merlin Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

KOR101 wrote: »

That's a Balls, just getting stuff delivered to Unit 5 as that is the address on the addresspal card they gave me. Was not informed that address changed. Hopefully it will get delivered?

KOR101 wrote: »
    Agent_47 wrote: »
    That's a Balls, just getting stuff delivered to Unit 5 as that is the address on the addresspal card they gave me. Was not informed that address changed. Hopefully it will get delivered?

Confused on what address use now.lol

honda boi wrote: »
    Confused on what address use now.lol

Use 4 The Merlin Centre.

I just logged in and see they changed the address. I never got an email to flag the change so am particularly unhappy. Will be banging off an email after this post. Shocking customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Agent_47 wrote: »

Its been 4 the Merlin centre for over a year now.
    Pretty sure emails went out and new cards were issued with the Uk & USA addresses as just the UK address previously.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

I never got an email or new card, but I had always used "Units 4-5" which was in the original address when it was setup first (Air Business have both units, according to Google Maps) so I wouldn't worry about it. As long as it's addressed to the correct business, it'll get there - it is just the building next door after all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Have used "unit 5 merlin centre" 4 times in the last 2 wks and all packages have being delivered to my local PO. Great service especially when you use the 'free delivery in uk'

Just ordered using "4 the merlin centre"
    Hopefully delivers ok

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

my3cents wrote: »
    Don't the scan the parcel - was there no barcode?

It was a small label that Amazon or the third-party seller had put on which ended up blocking the AP ID.

I thought Amazon barcoded the AP ID onto their label in the past but two packages I have here do not have the AP ID barcoded anywhere. The postmistress does scan the package out when you're collecting using a barcode she put on the package when she scanned it in!

So it looks like the issue remains... they can only log a package in if they can read the AP ID
    SPDUB wrote: »

Well I certainly won't be claiming nor will I be running off to McRedmond to rat out the poor postmistress!

I collected a second package this week myself and as someone mentioned a few posts back, they can just tick personally known and do not need ID. As for them handing my other package to my cousin... I was on the other end of the phone to the cousin at the time so I suppose one could argue it was "personally known" by a different medium :)

Right, Addresspal confirm the following:

Please be advised that as we are occupying both Unit 4 and 5, it will make no difference whichever number you are using.

Just to update. Bit of back and forth with AP on email, they insisted on Amazon supplying proof of delivery by way of signature, apparently they sign for all parcels they receive.
    Amazon couldnt give me a signature and processed a refund without me even asking for it.
    Then today I receive an email and a text saying my parcel is ready for collection at my post office.
    I sent off an email asking how they've been telling me there is nothing for me and then it suddenly shows up after more than 2 weeks.
    I understand they dont have tracking at all, only thing they can see is once a parcel is ready for collection.
    But what i dont understand is them repeatedly asking me for proof of delivery, what would that help? If I show them a signature suddenly they can find my parcel?
    I didnt ask them to pay out on their €40 insurance, just to find the parcel, so a signature wouldve been useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Just to update. Bit of back and forth with AP on email, they insisted on Amazon supplying proof of delivery by way of signature, apparently they sign for all parcels they receive.
    Amazon couldnt give me a signature and processed a refund without me even asking for it.
    Then today I receive an email and a text saying my parcel is ready for collection at my post office.
    I sent off an email asking how they've been telling me there is nothing for me and then it suddenly shows up after more than 2 weeks.
    I understand they dont have tracking at all, only thing they can see is once a parcel is ready for collection.
    But what i dont understand is them repeatedly asking me for proof of delivery, what would that help? If I show them a signature suddenly they can find my parcel?
    I didnt ask them to pay out on their €40 insurance, just to find the parcel, so a signature wouldve been useless.

THAT parcel could have been fecked anywhere or fallen of some cart now or something if it was small it happened me as well before as well ordered from Wish start of Dec & was never delivered & was lost & got refunded for Near end of Jan Wasnt i suprised when i got a package @ the start of April & it was the item i had ordered over over 4 months ago

THAT parcel could have been fecked anywhere or fallen of some cart now or something if it was small it happened me as well before as well ordered from Wish start of Dec & was never delivered & was lost & got refunded for Near end of Jan Wasnt i suprised when i got a package @ the start of April & it was the item i had ordered over over 4 months ago

Out of curiosity I asked AP if they were open for deliveries on 4 june, as it was a bank holiday in ireland but not UK i think, so not sure would they have been open for the delivery and was the parcel just left there. They didnt reply to that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Out of curiosity I asked AP if they were open for deliveries on 4 june, as it was a bank holiday in ireland but not UK i think, so not sure would they have been open for the delivery and was the parcel just left there. They didnt reply to that though.

It could have been just left there & there was a build up then of parcels then. Cause the planes wouldnt go to ireland Sunday Night. be Mon night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dubdev

Hi

I created an AddressPal account last week and ordered something from Amazon UK. I got a notification yesterday from Amazon saying they attempted delivery to the AddressPal virtual address but it failed, and they'll try again today.

Do AddressPal not accept packages 24/7 like Parcel Motel? Seems crap if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

MOD:Merged with Addresspal megathread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

so if an item is more than €22 in value, your caught for customs?
    I literally just registered on the website, I dont know if it's gonna be worth it?
    I buy diecast models from US, usually they cost $36 shipping plus $14 for customs. your talking $50 in p&p + customs. is it worth my time?

Mod merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

dubdev wrote: »
    Hi

I created an AddressPal account last week and ordered something from Amazon UK. I got a notification yesterday from Amazon saying they attempted delivery to the AddressPal virtual address but it failed, and they'll try again today.

Do AddressPal not accept packages 24/7 like Parcel Motel? Seems crap if they don't.

It could have been that there was a queue of drivers waiting to get a load of stuff signed for and your delivery driver had one item and a massive load of stuff still to deliver. Easy choice, leave yours till tomorrow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

dubdev wrote: »
    Hi

Deliveries- 9AM to 5PM weekdays only- and they don't sign for things (or good luck trying to get them to).

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Is there any (better) alternative to AddressPal that is still as well priced as AddressPal\ParcelMotel and have a UK mainland address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i need small item from US as shipping costs are like 50$ min every place i shop to get it shipped and even same with EU and was wondering is there much hassle to register with address pal, as what i need is mostly shipped within US and total cost is like 20$ but dont want to waste time if it wont get recognized as proper address or if ill run into some issues where country of origin and adress will get me hammered for full cost, so any input on using US address appreciated.

Advertisement