Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Nodferatu wrote: »
    so if an item is more than €22 in value, your caught for customs?
    I literally just registered on the website, I dont know if it's gonna be worth it?
    I buy diecast models from US, usually they cost $36 shipping plus $14 for customs. your talking $50 in p&p + customs. is it worth my time?

Address pal has a us address which will work for you and you pre pay customs when it arrives at the us office before they forward it on to ireland as far as I know

Copy and pasted this from their website

All AddressPal items received into our USA hub will need to be prepared with the appropriate customs information for carriage
    We will complete the relevant forms for you based on the information on the invoice with your item
    If there is no invoice available, we will contact you asking for confirmation of what the item is and its value
    We will apply the relevant customs form to your item before it leaves the USA
    Upon arrival in Ireland, AddressPal items are, like all inbound international items, subject to Customs checks
    If Customs apply a customs charge on your item, An Post’s normal custom collection procedure will apply
    For more information see http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/FAQs/PostalFAQs.htm

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8 justforkicks

And BTW, Address Pal really do contact you for the description and value before they send. <Snip>Mod - you might want to have a look at the charter for this forum so there are no misunderstandings.

From Revenue:

If your goods have:

a customs value (including cost, transport, insurance and handling charges) of €22 or less you do not have to pay Customs Duty or VAT

a customs value of more than €22 you will have to pay VAT

an intrinsic value (the value of the goods alone excluding transport, insurance and handling charges) of more than €150 you will have to pay Customs Duty.

These limits are for the whole delivery, not just one item. You must pay the above duties where applicable, and VAT on alcohol or tobacco products, perfumes or toilet waters, regardless of their value.

If the VAT payable is €6 or less it will not be collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Not directly related to Address Pal exactly, but Amazon has recently added free two day delivery to Ireland to Prime Subscribers (for orders of any amount). Surely this will put some dent in the likes of PM/AP (for UK deliveries)?

Apologies if this was already mentioned somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Surely this will put some dent in the likes of PM/AP (for UK deliveries)?
    I have never once paid delivery from amazon, and have seen others say the same, I always go above the limit for free delivery, just add on socks or a t shirt or something. So I reckon very few would use it for deliveries at the moment, unless they use it due to not begin able to get parcels to themselves easily.

This would interest me if there is truly no limit though, and if it really is 2 days. Would depend on cost of prime of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

rubadub wrote: »
    So I reckon very few would use it for deliveries at the moment, unless they use it due to not begin able to get parcels to themselves easily.
    It's the only way to be sure of avoiding Fastway, so AP is really useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

And BTW, Address Pal really do contact you for the description and value before they send. <Snip>Mod - you might want to have a look at the charter for this forum so there are no misunderstandings.

From Revenue:

If your goods have:

a customs value (including cost, transport, insurance and handling charges) of €22 or less you do not have to pay Customs Duty or VAT

a customs value of more than €22 you will have to pay VAT

an intrinsic value (the value of the goods alone excluding transport, insurance and handling charges) of more than €150 you will have to pay Customs Duty.

These limits are for the whole delivery, not just one item. You must pay the above duties where applicable, and VAT on alcohol or tobacco products, perfumes or toilet waters, regardless of their value.

If the VAT payable is €6 or less it will not be collected.

Does this apply to orders from the UK as well or is it only from the US

kala85 wrote: »

That’s only the us address side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

kala85 wrote: »

Once the UK boots itself out of the EU, who knows?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Once the UK boots itself out of the EU, who knows?

That’s a while off yet

OmegaGene wrote: »
    That’s a while off yet
    Less than a year, gone as quick as a wink.

• Advertisement

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Less than a year, gone as quick as a wink.

My winks are quicker than that

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Fiddlex

My parcel arrived with addresspal on Saturday and up until today there hasn't been any movement at all and it only has a tag of London heathrow. Should I be worried and there was no tag for st albans at all? I ordered from ap a few times and its never taken this long without an update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BlockPoster04

Okay so I bought something on ebay and I got its dimensions online and An Post says that for home delivery the dimensions are: Length: 150 cm, Girth: 150cm. The item that I purchased has a length of 42 cm, and a girth of 150.11. I am worried by the fact that it's only .11 of a cm off. It makes me wonder will it be refused...(I hope it doesnt)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

First time using AddressPal and wondering if it's like Parcel Wizard where you get a notification that the item arrived in their depot in the UK before forwarding on? I tracked a package that got delivered to them today but logging in on my account I see nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

First time using AddressPal and wondering if it's like Parcel Wizard where you get a notification that the item arrived in their depot in the UK before forwarding on? I tracked a package that got delivered to them today but logging in on my account I see nothing at all.
    No. The only contact with you is when the item is ready for collection at your PO.

You only get tracking when you go for the to-the-door service, when AP send you a link to their tracking page, where you can watch your parcel moulder for days in Heathrow, until it magically appears in Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Drakus

I apologise if this has been answered before but the thread is so big it is difficult to peruse it and find my answer. The question is I know from experience UK websites will often not accept Credit Cards from Irish Banks even if you use a valid UKaddress. How does AddressPal or PM get around this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Drakus wrote: »
    I apologise if this has been answered before but the thread is so big it is difficult to peruse it and find my answer. The question is I know from experience UK websites will often not accept Credit Cards from Irish Banks even if you use a valid UKaddress. How does AddressPal or PM get around this.

It doesn't and thats why you couldn't find the answer anywhere in this thread.

Banks and how you pay the seller have nothing to do with AddressPal.

btw I've never come across a site that won't accept an Irish banks credit or debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Paypal Visa, they are all accepted. even my debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

my3cents wrote: »

btw I've never come across a site that won't accept an Irish banks credit or debit card.

Ebuyer is the one UK site I've never been able to get to deliver over here, even with parcel motel etc. They seem to actively seek out and cancel orders for Irish people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Bought a baseball cap off a website and used Addresspal,
    Edit note: (company I bought off only shipped to US or Canada. Hence why I had to use Addresspal.

Baseball Cap - $27.95 / €24
    Shipping to NJ (Addresspal) - $4.82 / €4
    Shipping from NJ to Ireland incl. import fees - $18 / €15

in total this cap cost me $50.77 / €43.88

was it worth all that money? Not really... however, I took a chance and it was my first time using Addresspal. I got an email from Addresspal when it arrived at their hub before shipping to me saying the seller never included any info on what item was or weight and value, I told them it was a cap worth $11. I still got caught for import fees. So, It doesn't matter how light or the value of the item is, you still pay a base price for import. (already knew this) I just figured I'd see how it went and chanced buying something and see what the end price was exactly. Overall not impressed with it! Handy if there's something you desperately want from the states but I wouldn't be using it for small cheap stuff of little value!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Nodferatu wrote: »
    Bought a baseball cap off a website and used Addresspal,

Baseball Cap - $27.95 / €24
    Shipping to NJ (Addresspal) - $4.82 / €4
    Shipping from NJ to Ireland incl. import fees - $18 / €15

in total this cap cost me $50.77 / €43.88

was it worth all that money? Not really... however, I took a chance and it was my first time using Addresspal. I got an email from Addresspal when it arrived at their hub before shipping to me saying the seller never included any info on what item was or weight and value, I told them it was a cap worth $11. I still got caught for import fees. So, It doesn't matter how light or the value of the item is, you still pay a base price for import. (already knew this) I just figured I'd see how it went and chanced buying something and see what the end price was exactly. Overall not impressed with it! Handy if there's something you desperately want from the states but I wouldn't be using it for small cheap stuff of little value!

Why'd you even bother? an item that small on regular post would probably have avoided customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Ebuyer is the one UK site I've never been able to get to deliver over here, even with parcel motel etc. They seem to actively seek out and cancel orders for Irish people

Historically they used to be fine shipping stuff to the Ireland but there is a sales limit for retailer at which they have to start charging the VAT rate of the country they are selling to. The Irish market probably takes them over that limit but is too small for all the extra hassle so they won't sell to Ireland anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Why'd you even bother? an item that small on regular post would probably have avoided customs.

Obviously if I could have i would. Company I bought the cap off ONLY ships to US or Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

my3cents wrote: »

I had an issue before with a retailer (may have been UK based) that wouldn't ship unless the address was the an authorised address for my credit card. At the time my billing address was elsewhere. Was just a matter of ringing my bank and registering the delivery address as an authorised address.

In that's the same issue, then should be possible to register the AddressPal address in that way, that might resolve it. That said, I think they were only going to those lengths of verification because I was buying a fairly high value item. In which case I'd be very wary of risking AddressPal anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21 All Around You

I feel like this is a dumb question, and I can't figure out what keywords to use to search this thread for an answer, but what address do I use when ordering items from an Irish site when I want to be able to pick it up from the PO? Do I just use the collection point address and my code?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

I feel like this is a dumb question, and I can't figure out what keywords to use to search this thread for an answer, but what address do I use when ordering items from an Irish site when I want to be able to pick it up from the PO? Do I just use the collection point address and my code?

It's written on your card, or online in your account page

• Registered Users Posts: 21 All Around You

It's written on your card, or online in your account page

I saw that, but it doesn't have my usercode thing in the address, so I thought that was just the collection address. Do I just add my name and/or the code to that address when ordering stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

There really is no facility for this with AddressPal. Parcel Motel have an Irish address you can post to, but AP doesn't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

I saw that, but it doesn't have my usercode thing in the address, so I thought that was just the collection address. Do I just add my name and/or the code to that address when ordering stuff?

It does, begins with APW

Advertisement